First jeep build 1985 cj renegade - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > First jeep build 1985 cj renegade

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 06-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #46
85cjrenegade
1985 CJ7 

Well the floor panels came today and they seem to be of excellent quality. Of course there will be trimming and shaping, but I'm positive it will be a perfect fit in the end.... I plan on getting some high quality undercoating anti rust type stuff, and hit the rails. Ultimately I'll monsta coat the interior maybe in a red that matched the old carpet or a black...
In other news I plan on picking up some lightly used 31s tomorrow and hopefully by the end of the weekend have some new wheels and tires mounted up....

Just a few pictures of the test fit

I also fired her up and took her for a spin around the yard... The belts like to squeal a bit, and it stalled once while at idle. I need to get all the bugs out....

85cjrenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 08:36 AM   #47
06moneypit
2006 TJ Wrangler 

They look great and should install pretty easily. Need you to pick up some 4.5" 36grit flap disks, a cutting wheel and a can of primer.

I'll try and start taking the tires one by one to work and having the 35's removed off the rims for you so that you can take them down to Shotgun Sat morning to mount and balance.

The squealling is probably from the tensioner. When the bearings go on the inside, they squeal and need to be replaced. We should replace the belt too considering it was prob never done. At least this was the case with my YJ.
06moneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #48
85cjrenegade
1985 CJ7 

It's a plan
Unread 06-12-2013, 09:54 AM   #49
85cjrenegade
1985 CJ7 

The fuel gauge and the temperature gauge do not work.... I'm going to have to tackle that soon.... Found this link any further insight would be great...

http://www.jeeptech.com/electrical/gauges/
Unread 06-12-2013, 10:13 AM   #50
85cjrenegade
1985 CJ7 

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/ele...jn-ignition99/

Think this will also help idle and everything else.... Nutter bypass
Unread 06-12-2013, 04:35 PM   #51
85cjrenegade
1985 CJ7 

Made some more progress, picked up some used but in great condition tires today.... Take a look.

My friend my know jeeps but doesn't know much about a 1985 jetta. He insisted I wouldn't be able to transport all four tires in her..... Well it fit with room to spare

And two in the trunk...

Here they are in comparison to what's on there now...

The girl I picked them up from said the tires rode awsome, I'm sure they will.
Unread 06-12-2013, 05:01 PM   #52
85cjrenegade
1985 CJ7 

On another note can someone tell me by looking at this if it has truetrac?

Unread 06-13-2013, 09:15 AM   #53
06moneypit
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85cjrenegade
On another note can someone tell me by looking at this if it has truetrac?
That's just the cover or the AMC20. What is the tag number on it say? Can you get a pic of that after the rain passes?
06moneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 09:46 AM   #54
85cjrenegade
1985 CJ7 

Sure where is the tag located?
Unread 06-13-2013, 05:20 PM   #55
85cjrenegade
1985 CJ7 

Ok I climbed my monkey *** under the jeep in an attempt to find an identifier...

This is what I found..."B"

A b indicates

Wide Track AMC 20
3.31 gear ratio.... open

There we have it folks
Unread 06-13-2013, 06:27 PM   #56
redsncans

This thread is a good read.
redsncans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 07:47 PM   #57
85cjrenegade
1985 CJ7 

Thank you...we haven't even gotten into the good stuff yet....stay tuned :-)
Unread 06-16-2013, 03:46 PM   #58
85cjrenegade
1985 CJ7 

Nothing earth shattering here today.... Had just a little bit of time so I washed the old girl... I I didn't expect much but wanted to get some of the green funk that was on it... Came out better then expected look here...

Pre wash...

Post wash...

Just for ****s and giggles I polished up the door a bit to see what was left in that tired paint...

Section of door looking very much like slate

Came out alot better then expected picture does it no justice...

Look at the color of that water!!

On another note I had the car idle for about 40 - 45 min it sounds pretty good.. Every now and again it stumbles and gives a squeal, like a belt slipping.... When I get in drive it a bit around the back yard and come off of load it stalls out on me.... It's possible the stepper motor on the carb is not adjusting right.... I plan on doing the nutter Bypass this Tuesday stay posted for that... I already cleaned out the idle drip tubes but I might attempt that if issue continues, I also plan on drilling out those tubes to .032" which used to be recommended by jeep themselves.... I also plan on updating the ignition system a bit too... Something along these lines

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/i-...nitive-669495/

Thoughts comments ideas are as always, much needed and appreciated
Unread 06-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #59
85cjrenegade
1985 CJ7 

Getting ready to start nutter Bypass
Unread 06-18-2013, 07:10 PM   #60
85cjrenegade
1985 CJ7 

All I can say is wow!!! I simply can't wrap my mind around how much of a difference this made. I mean all I did was splice two wires, pulled out some pins in the carb and boom a perfectly smooth running motor. What this does show is how much emissions bull**** inhibits the performance of a vehicle....the engine would stumble after it came off of load and would crank a few times before it turned over. Now it turns over immediately and the stumbling and the stutter is gone. What's even crazier me and my buddy didn't get a chance to time and tune it properly and it's still running better.... If you can't tell I'm flabbergasted lol. I will be removing the rest of the emissions controls as soon as I figure were everything goes.... On to the pictures.

Not as easy as people like to pretend it is to move the nozzle I removed the entire motor and pulled the pins but they are stiff to move, you need to wiggle as you pull them to extend...

What do we have here, the infamous purple and orange braided wire...

And here is the purple and orange wire under the overflow tank, I already tinned them up with solder.

Here is the wire I made. I used blue to represent purple and yellow to represent orange. I held one end in a vice and used and electric drill on the other end to braid them together... I used zip ties and electrical tape to hold it all together... Turned out pretty well.

Here it is pulled all the way through to the overflow tank area...

I found out what that squeal was.. Lol I'm warming her up when this whole thing began and this belt decides to break and go flying. Needless to say gotta get a new one asap cause it spins the alternator.

Here is a link to the motor running....

http://static.photobucket.com/player...ps2fe2de49.mp4

While I was poking around to I discovered this bad boy wasn't connected to anything, can someone please identify it. I'm hoping it's not needed since I did the bypass

Next little project is to clean this up a bit, get rid of the rust and spray it....

Lastly here is the wheels I will be running need to freshen them up a bit but think they will look good with the 31s

That's all I got for today, let me know you guys are still out there...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.