First jeep build 1985 cj renegade - Page 16 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > First jeep build 1985 cj renegade

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 04-03-2014, 03:15 PM   #226
OldCJ
1978 CJ5 

Cool build.

OldCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2014, 04:08 PM   #227
85cjrenegade
1985 CJ7 

Thank you
85cjrenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2014, 05:53 PM   #228
OldCJ
1978 CJ5 

Could you get me a part number for the daystar kit?
OldCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2014, 06:04 PM   #229
85cjrenegade
1985 CJ7 

Sure can.....
KJ04502BK....black
KJ04502RE.... Red
Unread 04-06-2014, 06:42 PM   #230
85cjrenegade
1985 CJ7 

A bit of an update..

I picked up some Oem yj springs they have aprox 40k miles on them and are in Excellent condition. After doing some reading they are a huge improvement for a cj but will provide a very minimal lift 3/4-1 inch. However this is really all I'm looking for I'm going to move up to 33's eventually, and between this and the body lift I think it will be enough to get them in there if not I'll get something that provides more lift.

I'm sure you remember the dirty skid plate... I attacked it with the usual nylon brush, gasoline, and a few rags.... Came out great, I plan on painting it up tomorrow.

Result..

Lastly, while I had the skid plate off I needed to have the exhaust welded up. You may remember earlier in this thread that there was a temporary setup in place. I'd like to thank a buddy of mine Mark also known as 06MONEYPIT, he really came through with a great welding job of the pipes..

Just a bit of cutting and grinding to prep the pipes..

Mark welding..

The end result...

More to come....
Unread 04-07-2014, 08:15 AM   #231
theCREECH
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Your build is going pretty fast. Nice work. I look forward to seeing it done. Really cool style. Love the stripe and the red leather seats.
theCREECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2014, 08:46 AM   #232
85cjrenegade
1985 CJ7 

Thank you... Long way to go but little by little
Unread 04-07-2014, 09:07 AM   #233
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

rock on brotha jeeper....you might want to consider coating the lower brackets and you seat shims with something and sealing there as well as the bottom side where the bolts come thru...both of my jeeps rusted here prior to me getting them...like you did on the roll bar mounts....I cant wait till I can afford on of those pimp mandrel bent full tube sealed frames mines solid but still looks like swiss cheese with all the factory holes in it....does it really take a week for the monsta to cure fully, before you can start bolting stuff back on, or was that due to the lower temps where you were at? cus anything longer than 2-3 days would deter me from using it at this time...

Shhhhhh I'm not crazy...It's just the voices in my head
freaknajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2014, 01:48 PM   #234
85cjrenegade
1985 CJ7 

Good call on the bolts and the seat rails think I'm gonna paint them up very soon... I am sure you could bolt stuff back in after three days I just waited to be safe and also I was in no rush since I was touching other things up...!
Unread 04-07-2014, 07:40 PM   #235
85cjrenegade
1985 CJ7 

A bit of cleaning up...

Painted the skid plate up... I hit it with the MEK to really clean it well... Then used the chassis saver and will spray it with a black Gloss tomorrow.

Chassis saver...

Then I took some advise and painted up the seat rails..

Painted...

Underneath the car where the floor pans are you can see some rust... I didn't get pictures after I painted it but it touched up everything...

Lastly I put this bolt in the cleaning dip well see how it looks in the morning...

Unread 04-07-2014, 08:00 PM   #236
titanjeep

1981 CJ5 

Nice find on the YJ springs. I look forward to seeing the installation. Are you going to use a kit for the installation?

2003 KJ : 2002 to Present - Family Hauler
1981 CJ5: 2005 to Present - Build Thread
titanjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2014, 11:05 PM   #237
85cjrenegade
1985 CJ7 

I'm going to peice a kit together....
Unread 04-10-2014, 07:23 PM   #238
85cjrenegade
1985 CJ7 

Really happy with the way things turned out... I finished connecting up the exhaust, and got the transmission mount all back into place....

When I last left off I had just threw this bolt into the carb cleaning dip....

It came out pretty good..

Here is the old mount.. Look how beat up and tired..

Notice the difference in height between the old and new one... This will allow the trans to sit just a bit higher.. And intresting enough by second gear engages alot smoother now....

Belly pan all painted up ready for install...

Trans Arm mount all clean... I went polyurethane bushings in everything...

New mount in place..

Before the belly pan could Goin place I wanted to finish up the exhaust so I would have some room to work..

This here is a guillotine style clamp really pinches the pipes together...

Tail pipe mounting bracket...

Lastly I'd like to bring something to light... I tried to attach the skid plate and it was impossible to line up the bolt holes on the passenger side if the drivers side bolts where in and vice versa it was as if it was too long. Now obviously this is impossible because it came off few days ago... So after some thought I came to the conclusion it was almost like a leaf spring in the sense weight needs to be applied to the center in order to bring the ends closer together.... But alas impossible because the sides could not be bolted.. So i bolted the drivers side up then used a Jack to bring up the passenger side, and then it hit me... What those extra elongated holes are for. I put a long screw driver in those holes pryed like hell got the venter screw in. From there I allowed the trans to rest on the pan, and the rest of the holes lined up... Long winded I apologize but hopefully this helps someone...

More to come....

Teaser.

Unread 04-11-2014, 11:18 PM   #239
85cjrenegade
1985 CJ7 

Today was a great day in the life of this cj.... I took it for a drive and let me say, it feels like an entirely different jeep. It runs so much smoother, handles 100x better and shifts like butter... On top of that it sounds much better now that it has an actual exhaust setup.... Here are two videos it's hard to capture an exhaust note on a video but here is the idea.... The video shows how much quieter it is inside the jeep as compared to the rear...

Click on the picture

Unread 04-12-2014, 03:40 PM   #240
lovett86
1990 YJ Wrangler 

nice work

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/90-yj-frame-swap-build-up-1434246/
lovett86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.