First jeep build 1985 cj renegade - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > First jeep build 1985 cj renegade

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 09-13-2013, 06:41 PM   #136
85cjrenegade
1985 CJ7 

Found myself a little bit of time today so I did a few odds and ends. I found the other end of the green wire, I reconnected it however she still wouldn't crank.... I watched the volt gauge and noticed the needle dropped to 0 from 13 every time I turned the key, makes me think possible ground issue?? I decided however to start to wire up the Msd ignition system.... Take a look.

I noticed alot of people install it on the fender however heat is definitely a concern with it sitting under the hood. I plan on installing it inside the car most likely behind the dash were the Oem emission control box was installed, I also thought maybe the drive shaft hump/tunnel in front of the shifter, might be good.... Take a look.

Behind dash.

On hump..

So here is where the Oem ignition system gets plugged in, and will be the source for the Msd ignition... I can't believe it's wrapped in what is comparable to duct tape....

Here she is discontented...

And now for the adapter.

All plugged in...

I also bought the distributer adapter and the magnetic pick up extension...

Here is the Oem distributer plug..

Plugged in...

And the extension..

If you remember I got rid of slot of emissions related parts however one thing I plan on keeping is a pvc style system... I'm going to run a filter in the rear valve cover opening and a catch can out of the front opening....

Here is the filter, went with k&n I don't know how I feel bout the chrome I might paint it black...

Some new rubber gaskets...

And in she goes..

And here is the angle fitting I'm going to run to the catch can....

That's it for now I'm hoping to get the rest of the ignition wired up before the weekend is over stay tuned..

85cjrenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 07:48 PM   #137
85cjrenegade
1985 CJ7 

It's alive it's alive......!!!!!

Put a little work in today, I was determined to get her running today. First I started by installing the Msd ignition. It's very simple to install thick red and black wires go to the battery, thin red goes to signal and orange and black go to coil that's it. The hardest part was figuring where to put this thing.... I found a nice location where it can be both showed off, out of the way and also get plenty of air..

While I was at it I figured I'd do the team rush upgrade.... Installed the larger distributer which always for a more accurate spark...

Bigger lower adapter...

Difference in rotor size...

Difference in distributer cover...

All in place..

I bought a tfi coil and plan on installing it later in the week...

After all this it still wouldn't turn over.. Every time I turned the key the volt meter dropped to zero. Perplexed and furious I said it's gotta be something I did... Low and behold after about 20 minutes of searching I found it, a severed wire a blue wire I tracked it down to the starter selioned... I connected it up and she fired up!!! In all honesty I planed on upgrading those things anyway.

I had her running for a good 40 min, the idle seems just a little rough I'm going to re set the timing and fiddle with the carberator a bit see if I can get her running perfect. Comments always welcome.....
Unread 09-16-2013, 09:45 AM   #138
theCREECH
1999 TJ Wrangler 

great build. I'm really glad that you've figured out the wiring issues. I might have given up by now. I love your jeep though and I can't wait to see it brought back to life. Please tell me you plan to keep the paint and sticker theme. I really like the feeling that it's nearly one of a kind. It's a really nice look that I wish jeep would do again.

keep up the nice work.
theCREECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 10:28 AM   #139
85cjrenegade
1985 CJ7 

Yes paint and stickers will be kept or should I say same theme might put a slight modern twist on this classic...
Unread 09-17-2013, 09:29 PM   #140
85cjrenegade
1985 CJ7 

Finally got around to cleaning up those damn wires... And boy did I.

I just followed each wire, and after every few, I'd check to make sure it still started up.

Here is where we started at...

After a few...

The finished product..

Look at all these extra parts... Jeep could have saved themselves alot of money if the would have just left these parts off.. Lol

Unread 09-18-2013, 10:37 AM   #141
theCREECH
1999 TJ Wrangler 

How strange.. Were those just wires used for less important things like tailgate lights and stuff?? Or dome lights? Or what?
theCREECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #142
85cjrenegade
1985 CJ7 

Mostly safety stuff.. Lol.. All emissions nonsense my friend
Unread 09-18-2013, 07:25 PM   #143
85cjrenegade
1985 CJ7 

Well it finally happened, got her registered and insured with historical plates today. After a bit of last minute touches, I took her for a spin. It felt great to drive with the top off. There is still much to do. My first impression is its a little bit too loud but that can be fixed bug adjusting the exhaust. The steering is super sloppy, I'm all over the place on the turns. I'm sure this can be fixed with new tie rods. Lastly the carb needs to be adjusted or replaced with a more hospitable model.... My question is what do you guys/girls suggest in the steering and tie Rod department?
Unread 09-19-2013, 12:03 AM   #144
plumbstraight

85cj, nice work. I am just finishing up a build too. I dropped in a 350 chev and I cut so many wires out. Mine was a California rig and it had cans and things I have no idea what they were for. Cut a lot of copper out. I fired it up and started cutting. I didn't quit, still started so figure it didn't miss any of the stuff. I have a couple of more days on it to finish, but just the simple stuff to bolt on. hood, seats, windshield, lights. I still have to put the stars and unit numbers on. Will be out parade vehicle for the vets club, but also my personal get around rig. Mostly will stay out of the bad weather.

would slip in some photos, but my files are too large so it says.
plumbstraight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 08:45 PM   #145
85cjrenegade
1985 CJ7 

Today was a good day I... I took the jeep out early this morning and made my way to the gym... After that drove all around town and really enjoyed the nice weather.... I was able to fix the fuel gauge that is ever so important and also bolted up the drivers side mirror..... Good day all around.

Unread 09-21-2013, 08:50 PM   #146
RonJitsu
1985 CJ7 

Why is the fuel gauge so important Doug?
RonJitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #147
85cjrenegade
1985 CJ7 

Lol cause day one I ran out of gas :-(......
Unread 09-23-2013, 06:43 AM   #148
85cjrenegade
1985 CJ7 

Does anyone have a motorcraft 2100 Carberator that's in need of a rebuild... I might be interested in picking one up from you if the price is right....
Unread 09-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #149
contdevelop
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I bought a 2100 "new old stock" on ebay. The 2100 and the HEI distributor made a hello of a difference.
contdevelop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 04:01 AM   #150
85cjrenegade
1985 CJ7 

I already see a world of difference after the team rush/msd/tfi upgrade... Dieing to see what this carb could do...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.