First jeep build 1985 cj renegade - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > First jeep build 1985 cj renegade

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 06-04-2013, 10:00 PM   #1
85cjrenegade
1985 CJ7 

First jeep build 1985 cj renegade

Hello all,
I am new to this forum and new to jeeps in general. I have rebuilt an 85 jetta diesel, it's not pretty but extremely reliable. See link here..... http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=260581

Anyway I have been looking for a jeep for a little while. I've been looking for either a cj or yj just to cruise around in, enjoy the open air, and take in the sun.
The budget wasn't to much, but that was ok cause I wanted to turn this into a project. I looked at a few jeeps but they were beyond beat. On the way home from one of these hunts, I drove past my neighbors sons house and there it was. It was a CJ with the word renegade scrolled on the hood. I noticed it had no plates on it. I Found he was looking to sell it but really made little effort to.

The story is he bought the car in 1987 with 10k miles on it for 8000 dollars, and drove it too and from college. After a few years he got soft I guess lol and bought a car with air conditioning. In 2000 it was put in the garage and there it sat until 6 months ago when he pulled it out to make some room.

Long and short we struck a deal, and now I am the proud owner of a 1985 jeep renegade with 104k miles on it. The floor boards up front are rusted through but overall it's in impeccable condition. The engine hasn't turned over since it was taken off the road 10 years ago. I plan on doing a bit of work on it over the next few months..... Enough bull**** here's the pictures....

85cjrenegade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 10:10 PM   #2
06moneypit
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the club bro! Can't wait to tear into it this weekend.
06moneypit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 10:14 PM   #3
RonJitsu
1985 CJ7 

I'll try to upload the video of us towing the jeep down the road to your house. That was the most movement she's seen in over 10 years!
RonJitsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
85cjrenegade
1985 CJ7 

I had a chance today to do just a little bit of work in preparation for the start up attempt later this week....

I took out the spark plugs and sprayed some fogging oil in the holes. This in an attempt to avoid scoring the cylinders do to a dry start up...

When I took the spark plugs out I was amazed at how clean they looked no soot no burn looked very good to me.

When I went to look at the car the first time a mouse ran under the radiator, well I found out where the little basterd was keep his acorns... Lol. It apparently built a little nest in the intake tube (the thin black paper part). While I was over there I also lubed up the carb to insure everything moves freely.

I threw some fuel stabilizer in her just to clean up the fuel, I'll also throw some fresh fuel in it before the start up.

Stay tuned tomorrow we're changing the oil...
Unread 06-05-2013, 09:23 PM   #5
Bobs85Reny
1985 CJ7 

Welcome to the madness we're twins! You even have the rare garnet interior too.
rphoto-1.jpg  
Bobs85Reny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 04:48 AM   #6
85cjrenegade
1985 CJ7 

Oh? Was the red interior rare?
Unread 06-06-2013, 07:42 AM   #7
Bobs85Reny
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85cjrenegade View Post
Oh? Was the red interior rare?
Yes the Garnet red interior is not very common. Not many were produced with it. Its hard to find replacement interior parts for as well. It took me a long time to find a center console for mine.
Unread 06-06-2013, 08:36 AM   #8
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Yes. Very rare actually for an interior.

I had a 85 CJ-7 for my first jeep here which got me hooked. They are easy to work on. Mine was silver outside, red/orange decals and garnet interior. I will be watching the build and good luck.
'87 MJ Comanche Chief - found in a field, now yard art
dayriesw is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #9
85cjrenegade
1985 CJ7 

Thank you guys looking forward to getting a little work done on it today.... Any advise, tips, info is much appreciated.
Unread 06-06-2013, 10:42 AM   #10
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

What are the plans for the jeep? Reliable but heavy offroader, mud bogger, rock crawler?
'87 MJ Comanche Chief - found in a field, now yard art
dayriesw is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 11:22 AM   #11
85cjrenegade
1985 CJ7 

To be honest light off road, cruiser, but as usual I'm sure that will change, and it will be more aggressive.
Unread 06-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #12
Bobs85Reny
1985 CJ7 

My personal best upgrade was going to the Howell TBI. So much more reliable than the stock carb. It also cleaned up so much unneeded crap under the hood. Mine sits most of the winter and I never have any starting and running issues like I used to.
Unread 06-06-2013, 12:32 PM   #13
85cjrenegade
1985 CJ7 

I will def look into that, I've given some thought about ditching the carb
Unread 06-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #14
Bobs85Reny
1985 CJ7 

I had no choice mine went up in flames. almost lost the whole jeep.
Unread 06-06-2013, 03:24 PM   #15
85cjrenegade
1985 CJ7 

Oh jeeze.. Lol well I hope that's not the case here lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.