First Jeep - 99 XJ Build - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > First Jeep - 99 XJ Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 03-10-2011, 08:12 AM   #61
botakbeng
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Nice build NW99XJ!
Loving it!

You should be crowned as the "King of Craigslist"

GL.

botakbeng is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2011, 03:35 PM   #62
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by botakbeng View Post
Nice build NW99XJ!
Loving it!

You should be crowned as the "King of Craigslist"

GL.
Hey thanks! lol, yea i'm always looking out for a good deal, and it seems i've had real good luck with Criagslist. Funny thing is, I even bought this Jeep from someone off Craigslist too!
NW99XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2011, 04:22 PM   #63
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

H4 Upgrade

Finally received my E-AutoWorks Headlight Harness, So it was time to buy some bulbs and install my upgrades...

Upon pulling the harness out and inspecting it, i noticed something I thought might pose a problem in the future. The plug ends (connector) for the lights, were not sealed up, and the contacts, although locked into the connector body, seemed to be a bit loose, and not protected at all from possible shorts to the body, or the elements.

So i did two things: i secured the wires together with a zip tie, close to the connector body, and then wrapped the whole thing in electrical tape, sealing off the exposed portion of the connector.

I did the same thing to the one factory harness plug that wouldn't be connected to the new harness. (the harness uses only on of the plugs for a signal to trigger the relays.)

After that I routed the harness, i decided to go under the radiator vs. over the top, because it seemed easier to get the ends up thru the various cavities and openings than to do it from the top. I didn't get any pictures of this part of it all, but the main part of the harness went thru the opening in the fender just to the side of the battery and got routed down behind the passenger side light then into the space behind the bumper, under the radiator. One plug (on the longest part of the harness) goes to the driver's side, and two plugs go to the passenger side. One for the new light and one to plug into the old factory harness end to use as a trigger source. Here we see the the two harness' plugged into one another, and the one new pigtail for the new light:

I didn't get any pics of the electrical connections at the battery, as that's pretty self explanatory. I did however fuse the positive side of the harness as a safety precaution, it does NOT come fused from E-AutoWorks.
Next up was to install the bulbs into the new housings. I went with PIAA'S "Intense White" H4's (p/n: 10904) http://www.piaa.com/Bulbs/Bulbs-H4.html rated at 60/55w but have the output of 135/125w at 4100k in the color spectrum. I went with these because of their output, reviews, reputation, and the fact that they don't have a hint of blue in the light.

Easy enough to put into the housings, REMEMBER: DONT TOUCH THE BULB GLASS!!
First I needed to pull off the rubber "doughnut" seal on the back:

Then just flipped back the lock spring on the housing:

Line the bulb's three tabs up with the corresponding indents in the housing for proper alignment, and ensure they're seated securely:

Replace the rubber doughnut seal making sure its tight up against the back of the housing:

And these are ready to go in:

The difference was huge! The beam pattern is quite different, not to mention the amount and color of light that comes out.
Old:

New:

And here's a shot of the beam difference, (note; Left is old, Right is new, and the old one was only held in by one screw so it appears to be a bit high:

The brights... well lets just say you could probably see them from space. (i'll get a shot of those up for you guys soon.) This is by far one of the best mods i've done so far. I HIGHLY recommend that ANYone with a Cherokee do this as soon as possible.
Unread 03-28-2011, 09:17 PM   #64
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I ended up scoring again on Craigslist. Couldn't pass up the deal.... a Rubicon Express Hack 'n' Tap SYE kit. COMPLETE.
The guy had it sitting around, (noticeable by the stains on the box) never put it in, and has long since sold his XJ.
He no longer had a need for it, and i was the first to call dibbs! ...So i'll be tracking down the appropriate front drive shaft out of another Cherokee, to tide me over until I get a Tom Woods.
STAY TUNED:::: I'm planning on doing a full pic heavy write up, and will even shoot some video on the install of this, when the time comes.
Unread 03-28-2011, 11:49 PM   #65
MCObray

^^I saw that on CL's, nice find.
Unread 04-09-2011, 10:52 PM   #66
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Ok, so as you saw above, I already have my H'n'T SYE.
Today I grabbed the necessary Spicer Flange (p/n: 211229x)
And three Spicer 1310 U-joints.
Also picked up a front drive line today at the junk yard, pulled it out of a 93 ZJ.
Going to have it balanced in the next couple weeks.
Here's the goods:

Already talked to the drive line shop and got a quote. $77 with about a 3-4 turn around. Their work looks to be pretty good, and they're a national company.
Gonna have to wait a couple weeks before i do the install anyways, so this will work out. I'll post up the finished product when its all done.
Unread 04-10-2011, 05:33 AM   #67
makemusic116
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Looking good man! How is the Dynomax working out for you? I installed one on my Jeep and I barely noticed a difference in sound from stock I was very disappointed in it. I ended up ordering a flowmaster super 44 instead I am installing it later this week. I did the same hack and tap to my 96 Xj and I had very good luck with it and I beat the snot out of it. Keep up the good work!
Flowmaster Super 44

My Build Thread...Everyday XJ
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/e...build-1172798/

Build Total So Far: $1,738.87
makemusic116 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2011, 11:11 AM   #68
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by makemusic116 View Post
Looking good man! How is the Dynomax working out for you? I installed one on my Jeep and I barely noticed a difference in sound from stock I was very disappointed in it. I ended up ordering a flowmaster super 44 instead I am installing it later this week. I did the same hack and tap to my 96 Xj and I had very good luck with it and I beat the snot out of it. Keep up the good work!
Yea, the Dynomax isn't a very loud set up. I kept with 2 1/4" pipe on mine, but it's all in the muffler when it comes to sound. There was a difference, but it was slight. I'll probably be doing the same after a while, going with something like a Magnaflow, or Flowmaster. What did you end up using for a drive line on your SYE install?
Unread 04-10-2011, 02:53 PM   #69
makemusic116
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW99XJ View Post
Yea, the Dynomax isn't a very loud set up. I kept with 2 1/4" pipe on mine, but it's all in the muffler when it comes to sound. There was a difference, but it was slight. I'll probably be doing the same after a while, going with something like a Magnaflow, or Flowmaster. What did you end up using for a drive line on your SYE install?
I ended up using a front driveshaft out of a 99 Cherokee and I rebuilt the double cardan joint and put new u-joints in it. It probably cost me about 60 bucks with the shaft and u joints. I bought the hack and tap from quadratec and the flange from jeepinoutfitters.com IIRC. I wheeled it pretty hard and was always on the gas and never had a single issue. I personally don't even know why people bother with a full SYE because a hack and tap is half the price and just as durable. I have NEVER heard of one failing...
Flowmaster Super 44

My Build Thread...Everyday XJ
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/e...build-1172798/

Build Total So Far: $1,738.87
makemusic116 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2011, 04:15 PM   #70
BeepBeepGoJeep
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Ha cool that reminds me i need to do something about the harness on mine i never put tape on them or anything and there all exposed, im getting the Autopal Euro lamps and most likely just sylvania ultras, and the SYE is also on soon to buy list.
Unread 04-24-2011, 04:27 PM   #71
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

So about a year ago, I picked up a rear bumper from a a guy off of Craigslist. Shortly after I put my lift on I tried to install it, and realized it sat a little too high, and wouldn't let my rear hatch close all the way. (probably mentioned this in a previous post) ...well last night I got a wild hair, and decided to modify the mounts to MAKE it fit. (sorry no pics of this) I figured since I was going to be working on the back end of the Jeep, I might as well install the gas tank skid plate that i've had laying around for a while too. Well I couldn't do THAT until I got a trailer hitch. So I did some shopping around, and some good 'ol fashioned haggling, and picked up a brand new Class III trailer hitch from U-Haul, they listed it for 139.95...I got it for an even 115.00!! So along with the JCR nut strips I received a couple months ago it ALL went in.
....Of course not with out the standard breaking bolts (off of the old nut strip that the OEM heat shield was mounted to), a LOT of PB Blaster, and a little sheet metal modification:

MODIFIED:

After all was said and done, (and about 8 hours later...) here is the new backside of the XJ:

Gotta do something about those rear quarter panels... maybe JCR corners? Any suggestions?

Here's the underside, all armored up!:

I'm going to take a heat gun to that U-haul sticker and remove it rather soon.
What do you guys think of the new look?
Unread 04-28-2011, 03:06 PM   #72
MCObray

Quote:
So about a year ago, I picked up a rear bumper from a a guy off of Craigslist. Shortly after I put my lift on I tried to install it, and realized it sat a little too high, and wouldn't let my rear hatch close all the way. (probably mentioned this in a previous post) ...well last night I got a wild hair, and decided to modify the mounts to MAKE it fit. (sorry no pics of this) I figured since I was going to be working on the back end of the Jeep, I might as well install the gas tank skid plate that i've had laying around for a while too. Well I couldn't do THAT until I got a trailer hitch. So I did some shopping around, and some good 'ol fashioned haggling, and picked up a brand new Class III trailer hitch from U-Haul, they listed it for 139.95...I got it for an even 115.00!! So along with the JCR nut strips I received a couple months ago it ALL went in.
....Of course not with out the standard breaking bolts (off of the old nut strip that the OEM heat shield was mounted to), a LOT of PB Blaster, and a little sheet metal modification:

MODIFIED:

After all was said and done, (and about 8 hours later...) here is the new backside of the XJ:

Gotta do something about those rear quarter panels... maybe JCR corners? Any suggestions?

Here's the underside, all armored up!:

I'm going to take a heat gun to that U-haul sticker and remove it rather soon.
What do you guys think of the new look?
I like the fitting of the new bumper. Looks good . Where did you score that Gas Tank Skid? I've been looking all over for skids.
Unread 04-28-2011, 09:42 PM   #73
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCObray View Post
I like the fitting of the new bumper. Looks good . Where did you score that Gas Tank Skid? I've been looking all over for skids.
Actually got it off of a younger couple on Craigslist several months ago. They had just finished putting on their budget boost, and a new trailer hitch, and had forgotten to put it back on. They didn't want to mess with it so just sold it. I picked it up for only $5.00... yea, that's right FIVE BUCKS!!! Kinda wished i would've spent the time to give it a fresh coat of paint before I put it on though. No biggie, it's gonna be getting plenty dirty this summer anyways.
Unread 04-28-2011, 09:55 PM   #74
MCObray

Quote:
Actually got it off of a younger couple on Craigslist several months ago. They had just finished putting on their budget boost, and a new trailer hitch, and had forgotten to put it back on. They didn't want to mess with it so just sold it. I picked it up for only $5.00... yea, that's right FIVE BUCKS!!! Kinda wished i would've spent the time to give it a fresh coat of paint before I put it on though. No biggie, it's gonna be getting plenty dirty this summer anyways.
Wow your the man at scoring deal. Send me a link or PM if you happen to see any factory skid plates around your area. Whats up next for your Jeep?
Unread 04-29-2011, 11:26 PM   #75
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCObray View Post
Wow your the man at scoring deal. Send me a link or PM if you happen to see any factory skid plates around your area. Whats up next for your Jeep?
Putting the old bumper end caps to good use for now.
I'll PM you a couple links too. I saw some goodies today....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.