First Jeep - 99 XJ Build - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > First Jeep - 99 XJ Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 09-26-2010, 07:26 PM   #46
Green_MachineXJ
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Excellent build, keep it up.

Green_MachineXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2010, 08:52 PM   #47
MCObray

Craigslist machine!
Unread 12-31-2010, 06:04 PM   #48
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Jet Performance Chip Install

So things have been pretty dormant lately, moved a couple months ago which ate alot of the funds up. But now that I have a garage, (and the Jeep just baaarley fits into it) I've been doing little things like detailing, and cleaning up some electrical stuff that previous owners didn't care to do. And today I decided to install the Jet Performance Stage-1 Chip that I got off of a guy on Craigslist a few months ago. These go for over $250 new on Quadratec http://www.quadratec.com/products/17608_0111.htm ...but I got mine for ONLY $40.00!!!!!! (god I love craigslist)That was one of those deals you just CANT pass up. Its plug and play, so no real need for a big write up, but I did snap some pics anyways just to document the upgrade.
Here's the Jeep shoe-horned into my garage:

My dirty Engine Compartment showing the ECU location before the chip install:

And the Chip, along with some O-rings I picked up to make sure things stay sealed.

And here we are all installed:

I followed the install procedure listed in the PDF I got from Quadratec's website, it literally took like 10 minutes.
Hooked the battery back up, and drove it a few miles before getting on the freeway. I noticed right away by my super scientific "seat-of-the-pants-ometer" that there was a gain in the low end torque. This was further confirmed when pulling onto the freeway, the second gear power band had WAY more "oomph." This all coincides with the manufactures claims, and I feel that this was a good mod. Best gains are achieved when using higher octane fuel, and have a high flow intake, and cat-back exhaust installed. Both of which I have.
JET's dyno sheet backs up my super accurate scientific findings. The dyno tests show, on a 1999 TJ, with a 4.0L I6, and auto trans. (virtually the exact same drive train as my XJ) that there was a 12HP gain at 2500 RPM, and 10HP gain at 5k RPM, (max range) average gain of 11HP across the whole RPM range.

I'm not gonna complain about 10HP for only 40 bux! I call that a win! The Jeep tested out fine on the 10 miles or so I drove, no CEL, or red flags of any kind. If you CAN get a deal, and if you have a 99 XJ with similar mods as mine, I would recommend this upgrade to anyone. I cant speak for any other year of Cherokee, or different degree of modifications.
NW99XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2011, 11:03 AM   #49
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Tax Returns came in this week. Will most likely be picking up a brand new set of 31x10.50x15's this weekend.
Most likely going with the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac's. They're the most aggressive All Terrain i've been able to find, and i've seen nothing but good reviews. I have a lengthy commute, and only wheel a couple times a month at most. So an overy aggressive Mud Terrain tire wouldn't be the most practical choice. In case you're not familiar, here's what they look like:

I'd appreciate any input/advice/ or recommendations.
-Thanks
Unread 02-17-2011, 11:19 AM   #50
4DoorXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

lookin good man, if i were you id ditch that tcase drop and get a SYE and front xj driveshaft. ironrockoffroad has a sye kit for 200. im currenthly using it and i havent had any problems with it so far. other than that its looking good.
4DoorXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2011, 12:46 AM   #51
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DoorXJ View Post
lookin good man, if i were you id ditch that tcase drop and get a SYE and front xj driveshaft. ironrockoffroad has a sye kit for 200. im currenthly using it and i havent had any problems with it so far. other than that its looking good.
Thanks! Yea i'm not diggin the T-case drop too much, and since I've got the NP242 in there my SYE options are limited -(Hack 'n' tap )
I've made the decision today to swap out to a NP231. I've been seeing the 231's on Craigslist for anywhere between 40 and 100 bux. IRO has a good SYE kit like the one you mentioned, Rugged Ridge has one thats pretty cheap too, and I know there are several others i've been looking at. Once I get the case, i'll clean it up, and save up for the SYE and a drive shaft, just do the swap all at once.
Unread 02-20-2011, 01:16 AM   #52
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Took a couple trips up to the Tillamook State Forest (TSF) receently where they have an OHV "park" Lots of trails. Most people around here know it as Browns Camp.
Been up there many times before in other peoples rides, and several times on bikes/quads etc. Got a couple videos posted up on youtube, nothin special, kinda hard to wheel and film at the same time. Did get a couple of poser shots though-
Here's my new favorite pic, fairly well flexed out:

STUUUUUFFFFF'D!!!

One Dirrrty XJ taking the lead -open diffs, 235/75/15 All Terrains leading a locked up TJ on 35's ----Gotta Love It!!!

Went up again the following week, it was even wetter.

Wish I coulda got some decent pics/vids of us in action, but we were a bit short handed, and it was raining pretty good.
Here's a sampling of what I got anyways: (never mind the kids in the background):

Last edited by NW99XJ; 03-01-2011 at 08:53 PM.. Reason: (added vids)
Unread 02-20-2011, 01:42 AM   #53
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

New tires

So.... I've been doing a LOT of research over the last several months in regards to tires. Posted up a couple threads asking for advice on a couple of my selections, looked around the JeepForum community for reviews and experiences with the tires i had settled on. And after reading well over 200 reviews, across a bunch of websites, I had made the choice to get myself a set of Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac's. They're one of the most aggressive all terrains i've seen, look more like a mud terrain, and get nothing but good reviews. This rig is my daily driver, and i have a decent commute, so I had to stay somewhat tame on my tire choice. 31x10.50x15's are all i can fit for now, until I swap in a NP231 and SYE, then I'll go up another 2.5-3" in lift, and think about 33's. But these will do just fine for now i'm sure. Haven't had a chance to break 'em in yet. But had to take a couple shots with the new rubber on right away anyways.

The front was rubbing a bit on the bumper's end caps, so I trimmed and took off the lower air dam.
I will prob have to do more, if i stuff and turn they still rub a bit..... Man I need a decent front bumper!!!!
Unread 02-20-2011, 08:40 AM   #54
pyrotyro
1998 XJ Cherokee 

your off to a nice start! keep it up!

My youtube channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/MRpyrotyro
pyrotyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 03:49 PM   #55
MCObray

I can dig the aggressive look you have going for it now. Also looks like you a good time at Browns Camp. Lucky you.
Unread 02-22-2011, 04:35 PM   #56
Lucky11202
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I never have much luck with C/L but I am def going to check it out after reading this! Nice build man.
Unread 02-26-2011, 12:15 AM   #57
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Steering Stabilizer

Well I finally got around to putting on the ProComp Steering Stabilizer I picked up clear in September.
Went on Fairly Easy, I've misplaced the boot that came with it, so I'll end up putting that on prob next weekend or so (providing I can find it.) I of course needed the Breaker bar and a generous spraying of PB Blaster.
Here is the old one sprayed and ready to be torq'd upon:

Here is the old nasty, out and the new shiny, ready to go in:

Here it is all finished up:

I'll post up another pic once I find the boot and get it on.
It's a little below 19 degrees out right now, and I couldn't close my garage all the way, but I had to get this done tonight, cause i'm heading out for a wheelin' trip tomorrow. (i'll post pics of that after we get back)
The results? MUCH BETTER! The whole range of steering (lock to lock) is much smoother. Feels more....."confident", not necessarily more responsive, but "firmer" ... if that makes sense. As soon as the weather warms up a bit, i'm going to look for a Durango Steering Box from the junkyard.
Unread 02-26-2011, 04:35 PM   #58
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Well had a short day up on the trails. New tires did amazingly well. Especially since there was several feet of snow everywhere up there. Very few of the trails had any vehicle tracks, just mostly a couple quad tracks if anything. A buddy was up there with us in his locked up TJ with 35x13.50 Toyo M/T's and couldn't get traction for nothing. Even had to winch himself at one point. I didn't get stuck once, and went everywhere i wanted to go. I HIGHLY recommend these Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. But since I didnt want to do too much solo, I didnt get much footage or pics.
Did take a couple with my girl posing in the driver's seat though:

And there IS one little video, kind of shaky but here it is:
Unread 03-01-2011, 08:44 PM   #59
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Well as luck would have it, my JCR Nut Strips arrived today. Ordered them Sunday, got 'em today...
MY BIRTHDAY!!! My first "Jeep-ish" present, even if it is from myself, its still worth documenting:

All unwrapped:

The plan with these are to secure a trailer hitch (once I get one) and to mount up the OEM Steel Gas Tank Skid Plate I picked up off of Craigslist several months ago.
GOT IT FOR ONLY FIVE BUCKS!!! You really cant beat that.
I cant remember if i ever posted anything up about it, so here's a crappy pic of it just to show it off:

I'll need to clean it up, maybe give it a fresh coat of satin black, but it'll be a good addition as far as armor goes.
As for the trailer hitch, i can grab a class III from U-Haul, for around $130 brand new. I'm still huntin on Craigslist to score one from there as an option, but i'd almost rather go for new, and be assured its a class III.
Unread 03-04-2011, 10:17 PM   #60
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Scored again on Craigslist!
Picked up a set of H4 housings in near mint condition. Got them for only $30!!!
As soon as I knew they were mine, I ordered my E-AutoWorks Headlight Harness. That should be here sometime next week....
Now all I need to do is choose a set of bulbs for these in the mean time. I'm going to hold off on installing everything until I have all parts in hand.
It should make for one stunning before/after shot.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.