First Jeep - 99 XJ Build - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > First Jeep - 99 XJ Build

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-05-2010, 11:10 AM   #31
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajxj9197 View Post
great start! any specifics you got the procomp lift? keep up the work and cant wait to see it with some meats
Thanks, yea its just a start. Still have a long way to go with armor, and recovery. As to the specifics on the lift: I covered everything on earlier on in the post, but it consists of 3" springs, full leafs, lower control arms, trac bar relocation bracket, extended sway bars and links, and ES3000 shocks. I picked it all up at 4Wheel Parts, (have one local.) Meats are next. I've got 235/75/15's now, will probably go with 31x10.50's maybe 275/75/15's. Unless i find a screaming deal on CL for some 30's. But thats the size range i'm looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000BB6 View Post
looks great man think once i save up for a real lift ill go with your same setup
Its not a bad way to go! Seems to be one of the more complete kits out there, the only other one I was looking at was the Rubicon Express 3.5" kits. But they were several hundred dollars more with full leafs than what I paid for this kit. Just do your research, and dont be affraid to go into your local 4WD shops and talk to the guys there. You'll get good advice and gain some valuable knowledge. Crawl the forums looking at set ups on similar years of Jeeps as yours, and what the owners ran into when doing their lifts.

NW99XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2010, 01:22 PM   #32
AustinTexasXJ
I break Things

2008 JK Wrangler 

trim and go straight for 33's

Insta: @bmwalive
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
AustinTexasXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2010, 01:52 PM   #33
platinum5.9
Web Wheeler

2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTexasXJ View Post
trim and go straight for 33's
Might as well you will be wanting to go bigger soon enough...could always do shackles and spacers.
03 Grand Cherokee Limited-White/Agate-4.7HO/QD-OME HD springs-1" spacers-MX6 shocks-OME SS-IRO rear links-255/75/17 BFG muds-JK Moabs-Muffler Delete-Magnaflow Cats x3-V3 Projectors 35w 5000k HID and High/Low harness w/relays-IRO Premium Sliders-SOLID D30 Cover-Fawkes stand alone shackle tabs/3/4" black shackles http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...1/#post9902192
--Enchanted Mountain Off-road Crew--Olean NY
enchantedmountainoffroad@gmail.com
platinum5.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2010, 02:02 PM   #34
billabongopblue
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I agree, i did the same setup you have now last october and im building up to be ready for 33's in the near future.

If you have the money get the axles re geared to 4.56's and get some 33's on there. Then trim it up.
Unread 06-08-2010, 08:13 AM   #35
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thats kind of the next phase of things. Armor and recovery are next, as well as a new exhaust. But then i'll do some shackles, and (maybe) spring spacers, if not just find some 4.5" springs. But i'm gonna have to save a serious pile of pennies to re gear. I wont even attempt to do 33's with out goin to 4.56 gears. I'll of course have to get the rear locked at the same time (prob just a lunch box)..... but thats gonna be a big chunk of change dropped all at once. But yea thats the plan. Next couple of weekends gonna have to get this out and get some flex pics for ya'all.
Unread 06-08-2010, 09:55 AM   #36
AustinTexasXJ
I break Things

2008 JK Wrangler 

nothing wrong with 33's and 3.55

Insta: @bmwalive
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
AustinTexasXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2010, 08:02 PM   #37
XJ713
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Nice jeep!
Unread 06-08-2010, 09:17 PM   #38
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Transfer Case Drop

So last weekend I picked up a transfer case drop kit. The driveline vibrations were getting to me, and ignoring something like that for any extended period of time is just not a good idea. They werent bad really, not shaking the fillings out of my skull or anything. But still something had to be done. Called around, and no body had anything in stock, everybody was a week out. And internet shipping was going to get spendy. But Mark down at Central 4WD really came thru for me. They didnt have anything on their shelves, but he knew a local install shop that did, and had one drop-shipped for me that day. THANKS MARK!! So after work Friday, went and picked up my new Skyjacker Transfer Case Drop Kit for lifts 2.5" - 4.5".

The install is pretty straight forward, however the instructions were recommending I loosen up the engine mounts, and breaking one of those bolts, or replacing a mount was just not a risk or project I was willing to deal with that weekend. So i went about dropping the transfer case cross member, 4 bolts (well 2 bolts and 2 nuts - each side has a stud that comes down, and a bolt that goes up into a weld nut.) 3 of the 4 came out no prob.
But of course, nothing is ever easy when working with Jeep hardware:

Ugh... i'm getting real tired of seeing this every time I turn a wrench on this thing:

I tried for over 5 hours to extract that damn f_cking bolt. No luck. Drilling, easy outs, 2 broken drill bits and a bunch of torching and welding experiments later, and it hadnt budged a inch. So i continued on with the install anyways. It all went in real easy (i still have to install the linkage drop bracket) and after everything else was in. It was time to WELD. I've only welded a couple times before. Nothing major. So lets hope my Farmer Jon Welds hold up.....

Yea I know, ugly as hell. But its been a few days now, and everything is rock solid still. Trail abuse will be the ultimate test. But i'm confident it'll hold.
Unread 06-11-2010, 06:22 PM   #39
BeepBeepGoJeep
1994 XJ Cherokee 

looks good cant wait to see it with some meats, i had one of the 4 bolts on the t case break also lol.
Unread 06-30-2010, 12:16 PM   #40
HikerX
2014 WK 

Great job so far!

If the look of the drop bugs you too much, you might want to get some scrap metal and try different spacing to see if you could get by with less of a transfercase drop. Might take some experimenting...

Case in point, I went from this:

...to this:

Granted, I have barely 2 inches, but in about a month I'll have another 1.5" or so over that, so I may have to reinstall the original transfercase spacer.

Nice job so far, and kudos to dealing with all the troublesome bolts. I tend to have the same luck with every bolt I touch as well....
HikerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 12:21 PM   #41
HikerX
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW99XJ View Post
Whoops!

I just reread your post and realized you had to *weld* it up thanks to that broken bolt. Guess experimenting with different drops isn't an option right now...
HikerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 12:34 PM   #42
getgnar
1997 XJ Cherokee 

cherokee looks real good. looking forward to seeing more updates
getgnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 03:18 PM   #43
Toedwy
2000 XJ Cherokee 

AFTER: (rear only)

Thats the exact OPPOSITE of what my xj looks like haha...

Toedwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2010, 07:09 PM   #44
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Well Its been a little while since I've done any work. Been staring at a pile of parts, and finally got the time to do something about it. HOWEVER.... On my way up to my buddy's place to use his tools and driveway, my passenger front window fell into the door. Out of nowhere! No issues before hand on this, but right before it happened i hear this loud *TICK*... and I knew instantly what had happened. The regulators on the XJ's have a slight design flaw in how the window track grabs the worm drive gear to make it go up and down; its a tinly little piece of plastic. I know there's repair kits online, i've seen 'em before, but with rain on the way, i had to do something about it right away. $120 later, and I was tearing apart the door to do the swap. New motor and regulator went in.
Here we are with the door panel off,

Easy to do, just take out all the screws, pop it loose from the door, remove the two blue plugs from the switches, and pop off these clips from the door release and lock linkage. They just rotate off. Might need to use a little force, but they DO come off, a flat head screwdriver will help with prying them loose.

Just remove all the bolts, that hold in the regulator and motor, unplug the wiring harness to the motor, and pull the whole assembly out. Here is the door all gutted. Just do the reverse to put in the new assembly. Pretty easy really. Only took about 30-45 min, if that.

Next up was the Transfer Case Drop Bracket Shift Linkage Spacer. Finally got my 4Lo back!

Installation was pretty simple, had to pull the front seat out to get to the top of the bolts that hold the bracket to the floor pan, where the pivot point is. Other than that, it went pretty quick.
Next up was the Dyno Max Cat Back Exhaust. Been sittin on this for a while now, so I was anxious to put it on. This too went in real easy. Out with the old, in with the new!

(Bizz the Cat decided to lend his expertise in this endeavor)

As you can see it tucked up pretty nice.

And I picked these up a couple moths ago, couldn't pass up the deal on got on them, and they're in like new condition. They'll work out perfectly too, as I don't do a whole lot of extreme rock crawling. Couple mounts to the "frame" and five across the pinch seam. Pretty much the same as alot of other rails out there.

Looks good to me!

And here's a shot in the daylight:

Went to install a JCR "type" bumper I got off a guy on Craigslist too, (almost identical in every way) but I think his jig was off when he welded it together, cuz it sat about a 1/4" too high, and wouldn't let the rear hatch close. All the work to take off the factory rear bumper, get this new one mocked into position, only to find out that it doesn't fit properly. I don't have the time or the means to fix the fab work on it to make it fit right. So I'll have to figure something out down the road as far as thats concerned. So its back to stock on the bumper for now.
Unread 09-25-2010, 07:13 PM   #45
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Found a killer deal on Cragslist, a Brand New ProComp Steering Stabilizer, for only 15 BUCKS! The guy even had a black shock boot to go with it. Matches my whole suspension set up in every way! (ftw)

I'll probably be putting this on sometime in the next couple weeks.
(weather providing)

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.