First Jeep - 99 XJ Build - Page 21 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > First Jeep - 99 XJ Build

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 12-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #301
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Now for the aforementioned carnage....
I went wheeling on Thanksgiving Weekend,
My Jeep HAD been making some "clunking" noises for a littel while, but I had just assumed it was the LCA joints gone bad.
They WERE bad, but were not the source of my noise.
Any time I would accelerate hard, or if I was in 4WD and climbing a hill, there would be a *clunk*clunk*
...not in regular intervals, but solid and deep sounding. Felt like (at the time) like the whole front end was shifting forward and back underneath me. Under a normal load, going downhill, or coasting, it was fine.
It wasn't till later in the day on this outing that with the help of another Jeeper (thank you SpecFab)
It was determined it was my motor mounts.
I hadn't even considered them, as they are barley over a year old.

If you remember, it was back in mid-July of 2012 that I swapped out the old ones.
Here's a couple pics from that:
(new on the left - old on the right)

A Closer look once that real bad one was pulled out:

Now....
Here's what they look like today (December 2013)
Drivers side

Yes the top of the metal housing of the mount itself is snapped in two:

Passenger side:

That's right, virtually no rubber left.

So with these being barely a year and a half old, and having around 10 or so GOOD wheeling trips on them, and a fair amount of freeway miles as well..... I'd say this is a good argument for WHY you upgrade to something more than just an OEM replacement.
This is really making me wonder what my tranny mount is looking like.
In any case, I have narrowed it down to a few choices:
  • IronMan 4x4 Fab
  • Brown Dog
  • M.O.R.E.

Not 100% sure which direction I'm going to go yet, but you guys will be the first to know.

Either way, I will most likely be swapping out the tranny mount at the same time just for peace of mind.

NW99XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2013, 03:17 PM   #302
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Did the brown dogs and trans mount at the same time ... Made a huge difference ... Jeep looks awesome by the way ... One of my favorite xj. And your fab work is great man ... Your welds are awesome
Unread 12-23-2013, 09:14 AM   #303
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project1 View Post
Did the brown dogs and trans mount at the same time ... Made a huge difference ...
Yea, I think thats the direction I want to go.
I'm going to do the super kit, which is the mounts, and the engine plates/brackets as well.... For the kind of wheeling I'm doing and the direction my build is going, it just seems like the right choice. The Tranny mount will get done at the same time. PROBABLY going to stick with an OEM rubber type at this point, not sure how things will react if I go all poly, all the way around.

Quote:
Jeep looks awesome by the way ... One of my favorite xj. And your fab work is great man ... Your welds are awesome
Thank you very much for the kind words. I really appreciate the feedback.
I DO have to give credit where credit is due though, and say that the majority of the welds were done by my bud Brandon (Bmikes)... he's a great fabricator, and seems to be able to weld what ever I throw at him.
My welding skills ARE coming along, but he's on a whole nother level from me.
Still...thanks for the compliments, I'll be sure to pass it along.
Unread 12-24-2013, 09:23 PM   #304
misterdent
Goin broke jeeping!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Subbed! Excellent work BTW.

Oh, and cant recommend Brown dog high enough. really excellent product with quick tech support if you need it. I know b/c I put mine in wrong. my fault not theirs!
Unread 12-30-2013, 11:51 AM   #305
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterdent View Post
Subbed! Excellent work BTW.

Oh, and cant recommend Brown dog high enough. really excellent product with quick tech support if you need it. I know b/c I put mine in wrong. my fault not theirs!
Thank you very much,
Most everyone I've talked to has nothing but good things to say about Brown Dog...
I may have to go with some OEM replacements (again)... FOR NOW...
till the Jeep funds will allow the $300+ investment of the mounts and plates.
Unread 01-04-2014, 08:52 PM   #306
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW99XJ View Post
Yea, I think thats the direction I want to go.
I'm going to do the super kit, which is the mounts, and the engine plates/brackets as well.... For the kind of wheeling I'm doing and the direction my build is going, it just seems like the right choice. The Tranny mount will get done at the same time. PROBABLY going to stick with an OEM rubber type at this point, not sure how things will react if I go all poly, all the way around.

Thank you very much for the kind words. I really appreciate the feedback.
I DO have to give credit where credit is due though, and say that the majority of the welds were done by my bud Brandon (Bmikes)... he's a great fabricator, and seems to be able to weld what ever I throw at him.
My welding skills ARE coming along, but he's on a whole nother level from me.
Still...thanks for the compliments, I'll be sure to pass it along.
still .. awesome work bother .. and you will love the brown dogs .. and grab a new trans mount for sure too ... you will notice a huge difference
Unread 01-06-2014, 12:46 PM   #307
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Climbed under the Jeep this weekend, and took a precursory look at the tranny mount,
Seems fine, but I'll prob take a closer look here soon.
The old motor mounts did come out, and the temporary replacements went in.

Here's what the old passenger side looked like:

And here's what they both looked like
Unread 01-11-2014, 06:50 PM   #308
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

man when you get some new mounts your going to LOVE THEM
Unread 01-13-2014, 10:33 PM   #309
indeepwithajeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Awesome work and a awesome jeep go hand and hand.

I think I'm going to have to take a look at my motor mounts!
indeepwithajeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2014, 09:59 AM   #310
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks guys.
Right now my GF is DD it until we get her a new car.
Should be here in the next couple/few weeks.
Once that's out of the way, the header is coming off and getting welded,
All this engine movement due to shot motor mounts took a nasty toll on it.
I still have the OEM one laying around, so I may try my luck, and weld that up as practice....
We'll see what happens there.... If I completely FUBAR that, then I'll just take the new one to an exhaust shop to have them weld it up.
I'll get a new gasket, and put it all back together, and hope once and for all, that my exhaust leak woes will be gone for good.
Once thats all said and done, I'll throw on the used air raid throttle body spacer I recently picked up for a steal.
No expectations there.... maybe a different feel in the gas pedal is about all. We'll see.
Stay tuned!
Unread 02-07-2014, 09:03 PM   #311
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW99XJ View Post
Thanks guys.
Right now my GF is DD it until we get her a new car.
Should be here in the next couple/few weeks.
Once that's out of the way, the header is coming off and getting welded,
All this engine movement due to shot motor mounts took a nasty toll on it.
I still have the OEM one laying around, so I may try my luck, and weld that up as practice....
We'll see what happens there.... If I completely FUBAR that, then I'll just take the new one to an exhaust shop to have them weld it up.
I'll get a new gasket, and put it all back together, and hope once and for all, that my exhaust leak woes will be gone for good.
Once thats all said and done, I'll throw on the used air raid throttle body spacer I recently picked up for a steal.
No expectations there.... maybe a different feel in the gas pedal is about all. We'll see.
Stay tuned!
Those spacers are kinda hype ... You can get a pretty sweet new throttle body from jeeperscreeperz for around 150 .. And it will be way better.
Unread 02-12-2014, 09:52 AM   #312
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Those spacers are kinda hype ... You can get a pretty sweet new throttle body from jeeperscreeperz for around 150 .. And it will be way better.
Mostly just doing it to say that everything else has been done... I do know that it changes the torque curve slightly, but what will be the biggest difference will be the final results after boring the throttle body out.
I have been contemplating this for a while now.... just havent dove in on the mod because something else usually came up.
Recently I started the discussion on The XJ Talk Show about how I've been refreshing my research on the topic of boring the XJ throttle body out. Tips, tricks, techniques, and different methods, etc... during the live show a very nice fan, (and owner of one of the nicest XJ's I've ever seen) Dean Murray popped up and said "I have my old stock one laying around... I'll send it to ya free of charge to play around with" ...sure-nuff, the very next day he must have sent it out, because just a few days after that, it arrived.

So the plan now, is to use this throttle body to experiment on, and perfect my technique, make any necessary adjustments and do the final pass on my own throttle body. I DO have access to a machine shop, so it may be more of a documentary on how a throttle body is machined to a larger bore, or it could be a write up on how to do it yourself with a drill press, etc...
We'll see.
Either way, that's whats planned, oh... and the throttle body spacer will get bored to match as well....
Stay tuned!
Unread 02-24-2014, 10:03 PM   #313
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Sweeet :-) ... Dean is a really nice guy too ... And his xj is super sick. Looking foward to it .. And if you have a shop ... I have ideas :-) :-).
Unread 02-25-2014, 04:37 AM   #314
rebelbowtie
Frameless and Shameless

2000 XJ Cherokee 

You're going to bore match the throttle body spacer but how about the intake?
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2014, 09:36 AM   #315
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Sweeet :-) ... Dean is a really nice guy too ... And his xj is super sick. Looking foward to it .. And if you have a shop ... I have ideas :-) :-).
Ideas huh?.... I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelbowtie View Post
You're going to bore match the throttle body spacer but how about the intake?
If memory serves me correctly, the intake manifold opening on a 99 plenum is around the 62-63mm size... enlarging that doesn't really come into play until you get into the 66-68mm bore range, and that would involve a new butterfly valve and other things that I would rather not deal with.
I'll do some more research to verify all this, but I'm fairly certain on those numbers.
Thanks for raising the point though!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.