First Jeep - 99 XJ Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > First Jeep - 99 XJ Build

Flowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country small builder parts in stock!! Awesome price

Unread 02-12-2010, 08:08 PM   #1
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

First Jeep - 99 XJ Build - TONS OF PICS

I've started this thread to document and share the build process of my first Jeep. I have lots of plans for it, but for now here is the way I got it.
99 Sport. Picked it up bone stock. I plan to build it as a Daily Driver/Weekend Warrior.

With a lovely 1" sag in the rear.

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________
And as of July_2012, here is how it looks now....

NW99XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2010, 08:16 PM   #2
MoparBoy01
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Nice Jeep even if it does have a 1 inch sag in the rear. What are the future plans for it?
Down and Dirty Offroad Club Member
ddoffroad.com
MoparBoy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2010, 08:37 PM   #3
csouers
1999 XJ Cherokee 

That's a very nice starting rig. When you lift it, do yourself a favor and get a good lift brand with good shocks. I hear fantastic things about the OME (Old Man Emu) kits and shocks. When I lift mine, I'm going with the 3" OME kit.

Doing an AAL (add-a-leaf) kit will just sag like is now. A brand new leaf pack is key. Just a heads up

My Photography
csouers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2010, 04:42 PM   #4
Super6XJ
2004 WJ 

Yeah Get everything new so it can last a while.
my 1990 Cherokee is Sagging bad.. even the Front Coils Are Sagging.. and when i back out of parking lots.. i Run.. ahh..

But nice XJ Dude!

What plans you have? what size of lift?
Unread 02-15-2010, 08:32 PM   #5
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Came across some killer deals I couldn't pass up, so I figured I might as well add some goodies: Cobra 19DX IV -from Craigslist

Got a deal on a K40 4ft 2kw tunable fiberglass antenna from the same guy.
...with a trip to Radio Shack, and a few things from the Auto Parts Store:

And..... A Yakima Warrior Rack for dirrrt cheap.
$175 with mounts and wind dam!

(yes... I live in an apartment complex )

I'll prob find somewhere to put these soon. Might wait till I get a bumper and a stinger. (Lookin at the JCR Pre-Runner front.)......FREEBIE FOG LIGHTS (early b-day present)
Unread 02-15-2010, 08:40 PM   #6
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csouers View Post
That's a very nice starting rig. When you lift it, do yourself a favor and get a good lift brand with good shocks. I hear fantastic things about the OME (Old Man Emu) kits and shocks. When I lift mine, I'm going with the 3" OME kit.
Yea I wish... I like the OME gear as well, just a bit out of the price range right now. But eventually I'll track down a deal on some.

Doing an AAL (add-a-leaf) kit will just sag like is now. A brand new leaf pack is key. Just a heads up
Thanks man-yea thats the plan. All new pack in the rear, going to do some BPE as well while i'm at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabowabo View Post
Both my '00's ended up with sagging rear springs. I don't know what you have planned, but I'd include some new rear leaf packs. Nice looking XJ, keep us updated.
Thanks! - New leaf packs, new shocks all around, bar pin eliminators, and prob just coil spacers up front for now, unless I can get a deal on a wwhole kit, but i'm trying to do all that for under $500. ....wish me luck. Might be a "bastard pack" in my future.
Unread 02-15-2010, 09:55 PM   #7
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Looks nice.

Buddy of mine did the bastard pack thing with leafs out of a Dakota. Gave him about 5" of lift. Ended up having to take one of the leafs out so it would sort of match his 3" springs up front. Wasn't bad for 50 bucks I think he said.

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2010, 10:27 PM   #8
99XJon
1999 XJ Cherokee 

you have a sunroof........you make me jealous. nice cherokee tho!!!!
99XJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2010, 10:54 PM   #9
BeepTheJeep

Very nice! I like the way you built your jeep man. Kudos to you!
BeepTheJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2010, 11:57 PM   #10
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks guys! No where near done yet tho. Gotta get rid of the sagging and VERY spent suspension. Especially the rear. I cant even take it to any trails with any degree of confidence with the suspension the way it is. Gotta get it up the air a bit b4 I do much of anything else. Its hard to do much tho livin in an apartment. Have tools but no garage. FTL
Unread 02-19-2010, 10:39 AM   #11
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Well things have slowed to a crawl. Didn't think I'd have this much of an issue deciding which/what kind of lift i'm going to get. Like most of us, i'm on a bit of a budget, but if I can keep my itchy (build) trigger finger at bay, the timing might work out great. I'll have a tax return check, and a little extra money left over after a paycheck coming in right about the same time. I'm thinking of the 4-4.5" range of lift, because i'll eventually want to run 33's. (i think) I may settle at 32's or just say screw it and rock the 31's for the fuel economy and cost factors. Only other problem i'm looking at is that the tires i have on it now are decent A/T, and at a good 80%+ tread. And it'd look kinda funny with the 28's under a 4" lift. decisions decisions......... any thoughts/advice?
Unread 02-19-2010, 01:58 PM   #12
HitmanJustin
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW99XJ View Post
Well things have slowed to a crawl. Didn't think I'd have this much of an issue deciding which/what kind of lift i'm going to get. Like most of us, i'm on a bit of a budget, but if I can keep my itchy (build) trigger finger at bay, the timing might work out great. I'll have a tax return check, and a little extra money left over after a paycheck coming in right about the same time. I'm thinking of the 4-4.5" range of lift, because i'll eventually want to run 33's. (i think) I may settle at 32's or just say screw it and rock the 31's for the fuel economy and cost factors. Only other problem i'm looking at is that the tires i have on it now are decent A/T, and at a good 80%+ tread. And it'd look kinda funny with the 28's under a 4" lift. decisions decisions......... any thoughts/advice?
My Friend has a 3" mixed lift on his XJ and hes running 31's and I think it looks good, I think the 4-4.5 will give ya that little bit more clearance and look pretty good,

Ive always wanted to get a lift kit that was really good at flexing. My current mixed 5" doesn't flex as much as I would like it too, but I bought my XJ already lifted running 35's and already with 4.56 gears all for $3200. So depending on how much offroading your actually going to do id choose my lift kit based on that. Theres tons of reviews on this site, so id also spend a little bit of time looking through those.

As for your tires, if they still have good tread id try to sell em on craigslist or your local bargain news if you have one. Just so you wouldn't have to deal with shipping and all that.

btw sooo jealous of your sun roof, I so wish my XJ had one!
HitmanJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2010, 02:10 PM   #13
woodkrawler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

You've got a great platform to start with, IMHO the '99 XJ was the best year of any XJ produced.
woodkrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2010, 10:12 AM   #14
MoparBoy01
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Nice start so far, I have that same roof rack on my ZJ and I love it. Can't wait to see what else is to come with this XJ.
Down and Dirty Offroad Club Member
ddoffroad.com
MoparBoy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2010, 12:28 AM   #15
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Well after weeks of driving around with a god awful clatter and *thunking* sound coming from the back end, I finally had a friend help me track down the exact source of the noise. Turned out to be my right rear shock. Totally blown, and in dire need of replacement.

I had originally thought it was the rear lift gate, and after buying new bumpstops at the stealership, and installing those, the noise was still there. In fact it just got worse over the next couple weeks. Well I've been shopping around for lifts, and i'm going to end up (eventually) with a 3.5" with full leaf packs and of course new shocks all around. But i've been waiting on a couple pay checks, and my tax return to make it happen. In the mean time, and more for safety's sake and my own peace of mind than anything, i decided to just swap out the old OEM shocks for something of equal value, ($24ea at Nappa.) I also knew I was going to throw in some Bar Pin Eliminators at the same time, so I picked up some JKS Rear Upper BPE's from one of my local 4WD shops- Central 4WD. Got 'em for $40 out the door!

Below I'll detail how it all went.
>
So I began the install around 2:30, 2 days of PB Blasting everything to hopefully avoid the dreaded rear upper shock bolts breaking. FAT CHANCE!!!! ALL FOUR snapped right off. Lowers came off no problem, but I know there was a good chance the uppers were going to snap, and shure enuff, they all did. Luckily I did my homework and read a thread on how to circumvent this issue. I simply drilled out the old bolts - had to use a good high speed carbide drill bit - and knock out the old welded nuts on the chassis.

Easy enuff, just took alot of elbow grease and a good corded drill to get thru the bolts, and a hammer and punch did the rest.

Here's a shot of the old shocks compared to the new ones. Nothing special, but as you can see the OEM's were just toast.

Once I got the old ones out and the holes drilled, it was off to the parts store to get the RIGHT hardware. I had originally picked up some 7/16" grade 8 bolts, but those were WAY too fat to fit in thru the JKS BPE's. Ended up going with 5/16"x2" grade 8, a larger washer on top to keep the head from coming thru the holes I drilled, then a smaller washer and a lock washer for the bottom side of the BPE's. Got back and started to set everything up.
The trick to getting the new bolts thru the drilled holes is to use a length of thin wire to fish them thru the triangular access holes that are directly in front of the shock locations. Not alot of room but its not that far to fish. Just make sure the wire is wrapped around the bottom of the bolts real good.
It's actually pretty easy to do. Here's a shot of one done already and me fishing the second one thru:

And VOILA!! -out comes the bolt.

Once that was done, it was time to extract the bar pins from the new shocks, WHAT A PAIN IN THE A**!!!
But a little more PB Blaster, some vice work, and a good pickle fork used for ball joints and they came out:

Once those were out it was time to got the BPE's on them. That went fairly smooth. Just lubed up the shaft (lol), stuck the base in the vice, and while rotating the shock back & forth with one hand I pressed down with the other to get it to seat. Then simply placed the other end of the BPE on and used the vice to clamp them down, then hammered down the set pin. TA-DA!!!

....yes I know the holes are 90deg from where they should be, but that was easily remedied.
Once the shocks were ready, they simply slipped over the bolts that were hanging thru the holes, I placed the lower end over the bottom mount, that kept the whole assembly in place while i put on the washers and the nuts. Tightening them down requires you to get an open ended wrench in thru that triangular opening to keep the bolt from spinning. Not as necessary as it sounds. Didnt need to do it on a couple of them. Torqued it all down real good. And I WAS DONE!!!! ----only FIVE HOURS LATER!

Another shot of the shocks installed with the JKS Bar Pin Eliminators:

I highly recommend this method for anyone installing rear shocks and end up snapping bolts. Dont be a idiot and start cutting up the floor of your jeep to try to do this form the top. The most difficult part was the drilling. But with the right tools, and enough preparation this isn't that bad of a job. And its all ready to go when I order my lift kit with new shocks in the upcoming weeks. I will document that process as well and I'll be sure to include lots of pics. Thanks for looking, and as always, i appreciate any feed back.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.