First Build - 96 XJ "Green Gargoyle" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > First Build - 96 XJ "Green Gargoyle"

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineCHASSIS SAVERô Labor Day 2 for 1 Sale!!!JKS Flex Connect in Actions!

Unread 04-13-2014, 06:03 PM   #1
foreveryoung001
1996 XJ Cherokee 

My Rusted out 96 XJ - Coming back from the dead!

I don't know how interesting my build is going to be, since I'm sort of making this up as I go along, but figured I'd share it on here, in case it can help anyone else.

I'm making a video blog about the whole thing. I'm really an airbrush artist, so my real goal is to finish fixing it up and then some airbrushing on it... my wife calls it my Green Zombie Jeep, but I'm thinking I'm going to go with Gargoyles instead. We'll see what happens when I get around to designing it.

First though.... need to fix it all up. Its my DD right now, so progress might not be real fast, since I can only undertake project on the weekend that I know I can get done before Monday... and of course, funding my project is always leads to arguments with my wife... but I'll keep sneaking things in. LOL.

So, here are the first few videos I've made. Like I said... nothing amazing.... YET!!!!

foreveryoung001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2014, 06:33 PM   #2
foreveryoung001
1996 XJ Cherokee 

The project... Got pulled over for not having a rear bumper. The cop let me go with a warning, but said he's seen me every day and finally decided to pull me over, and said if he saw me Monday, without a bumper, he'd write me a ticket.

So, guess it kind of forced my next project on me. Picked up some steel, and fabricated a bumper. Nothing amazing, but for a guy who doesn't know what he's doing, I think it came out pretty good.

Did my usual video blog thingy... not really a how to, but does go through the steps I took and some of the challenges I faced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCqdptzKIBM
Unread 05-04-2014, 05:08 PM   #3
foreveryoung001
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Started on the floors today. This is still my DD for the time being, so I have to take it in sections, so I can get it done and put back together before I have to take it to work.

Not the best repair job in the world, but with cheap tools, and scrap steel, it was affordable and will last a good while. Plus, I learned a lot about what to expect and what to do as I continue the floor replacement.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wrPZVd0wbM
Unread 05-11-2014, 05:10 AM   #4
foreveryoung001
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Continuing on the floors. The driver side seat mounts rusted out and forced me to change my plan of attack. Here is the first part of dealing with the drivers wide floor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q19wUNHGq7c
Unread 05-13-2014, 08:02 PM   #5
foreveryoung001
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Got the rest of the driver side floor done and new seat mounts. Here's a lin to the thread where I posted some pictures of it.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f.../#post22892089

And here is the video
Unread 05-26-2014, 01:05 PM   #6
foreveryoung001
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Replacing the floors continues...

Unread 06-15-2014, 10:57 AM   #7
foreveryoung001
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Took a break from the floors to attend to a random misfire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1m-A_RndQY
Unread 06-15-2014, 12:50 PM   #8
Dezman121
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Gees mate you're got some work with that rust!
Can't believe how much trouble rust is in the US compared to Australia.
Glad my new Jeep build doesn't have any, do you guys put salt on the road?
Dezman121 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2014, 04:43 PM   #9
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

geez might have been worth it to make a trip down south here and picked up a fresh body...lol

Shhhhhh I'm not crazy...It's just the voices in my head
freaknajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2014, 06:51 PM   #10
foreveryoung001
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezman121 View Post
Gees mate you're got some work with that rust!
Can't believe how much trouble rust is in the US compared to Australia.
Glad my new Jeep build doesn't have any, do you guys put salt on the road?
Yeah... salt, salt, and more salt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaknajeep View Post
geez might have been worth it to make a trip down south here and picked up a fresh body...lol
Probably, but where's the challenge in that? LOL
Unread 06-16-2014, 08:16 PM   #11
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreveryoung001 View Post
Yeah.
Probably, but where's the challenge in that? LOL
ehh none save maybe the challenge of unbolting your driveline components to swap em....my only real point is xj's are very reliant on their unibody structure...even a good solid one needs to be strengthened before moderate to heavy wheeling...ive owned over 20...I have literally riped entrie bodies in half...so my thought was to if the floors are that rusted how rusty are the areas where the uniframe can hold water/dirt/salt/rust that you cant see and they couldn't/didn't prime paint...just a thought before you work yourself to death....believe me im the last one to talk, ill try and fix something till theres nothing left to fix then keep on trying...lol...but a vehicle with a frame is different than a unibody...however I applaud your determination to revive your trusted companion...

Shhhhhh I'm not crazy...It's just the voices in my head
freaknajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2015, 08:34 AM   #12
foreveryoung001
1996 XJ Cherokee 

My Leaf Spring Nightmare!!!!

When you add up the physical toll it took on me, the emotional stress of the whole project, and the single digit temperatures I was working in, in my garage... I would chalk this whole experience up as the worst thing I have ever done.

On the flip side, the new leaf springs are in, its driving GREAT, and I uncovered some major repair to the uniframe that needed to be done, and that got taken care of too... well, taken care enough to last me until spring when I can take it off the road for a few weeks and fix it properly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.