I don't know how interesting my build is going to be, since I'm sort of making this up as I go along, but figured I'd share it on here, in case it can help anyone else.
I'm making a video blog about the whole thing. I'm really an airbrush artist, so my real goal is to finish fixing it up and then some airbrushing on it... my wife calls it my Green Zombie Jeep, but I'm thinking I'm going to go with Gargoyles instead. We'll see what happens when I get around to designing it.
First though.... need to fix it all up. Its my DD right now, so progress might not be real fast, since I can only undertake project on the weekend that I know I can get done before Monday... and of course, funding my project is always leads to arguments with my wife... but I'll keep sneaking things in. LOL.
So, here are the first few videos I've made. Like I said... nothing amazing.... YET!!!!
The project... Got pulled over for not having a rear bumper. The cop let me go with a warning, but said he's seen me every day and finally decided to pull me over, and said if he saw me Monday, without a bumper, he'd write me a ticket.
So, guess it kind of forced my next project on me. Picked up some steel, and fabricated a bumper. Nothing amazing, but for a guy who doesn't know what he's doing, I think it came out pretty good.
Did my usual video blog thingy... not really a how to, but does go through the steps I took and some of the challenges I faced.
Started on the floors today. This is still my DD for the time being, so I have to take it in sections, so I can get it done and put back together before I have to take it to work.
Not the best repair job in the world, but with cheap tools, and scrap steel, it was affordable and will last a good while. Plus, I learned a lot about what to expect and what to do as I continue the floor replacement. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wrPZVd0wbM
Probably, but where's the challenge in that? LOL
ehh none save maybe the challenge of unbolting your driveline components to swap em....my only real point is xj's are very reliant on their unibody structure...even a good solid one needs to be strengthened before moderate to heavy wheeling...ive owned over 20...I have literally riped entrie bodies in half...so my thought was to if the floors are that rusted how rusty are the areas where the uniframe can hold water/dirt/salt/rust that you cant see and they couldn't/didn't prime paint...just a thought before you work yourself to death....believe me im the last one to talk, ill try and fix something till theres nothing left to fix then keep on trying...lol...but a vehicle with a frame is different than a unibody...however I applaud your determination to revive your trusted companion...
Be carefull while Hugging the Trees...They leave dents on your Jeep....
Shhhhhh I'm not crazy...It's just the voices in my head
When you add up the physical toll it took on me, the emotional stress of the whole project, and the single digit temperatures I was working in, in my garage... I would chalk this whole experience up as the worst thing I have ever done.
On the flip side, the new leaf springs are in, its driving GREAT, and I uncovered some major repair to the uniframe that needed to be done, and that got taken care of too... well, taken care enough to last me until spring when I can take it off the road for a few weeks and fix it properly.
Got some more work on her. Fabbed up a new bumper, but my welder took a dump, so its not totally finished yet. (New Hobart is in the near future)
And did my first attempt at some body work on the fender. Would have been easier just to buy a fender and replace it, but I wanted the experience. Here are some videos of where I am so far.
Check us out on Youtube