FINALLY starting the YJ 5.3L BDTurnkey & 4L60E Novak swap! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > FINALLY starting the YJ 5.3L BDTurnkey & 4L60E Novak swap!

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FLASH SALE! Open thread to reveil the Newest Sale @ ROCKRIIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-06-2015, 03:56 PM   #1
jawasan
1989 YJ Wrangler 

FINALLY starting the YJ 5.3L BDTurnkey & 4L60E Novak swap!

Been a long time coming....knew I wasn't gonna' keep the AMC360 in the YJ after my first serious trail ride. Don't get me wrong, previous owner did a great job....but the build is not set up for what we like get into.

So anyhow, been bustin' my *** and squirreling away funds, slowly but surely things have trickled in.

I am horrible at posting threads so I'll start off with pics. And as I go along with the build I'll try to answer any questions as I find out myself and I am open to advice to those that have done swap...chime in.

Picture of Jeep in current state (well about 4-5 months ago...before she died!)
[IMG][/IMG]

Unread 01-06-2015, 04:03 PM   #2
Randonexplosion
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Subbed. Get to work

/f12 Moab Trip
Randonexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2015, 04:10 PM   #3
jawasan
1989 YJ Wrangler 

...even after jetting the carb for "off-road" the Jeep would still stall on steep inclines and hard drops. So with minimal research I decided to go thru BDTurnkey Engines. Sure, I know I could have pulled one from a junk yard or hit up craig's list....but my business and hours spent at the office just do NOT allow me such time. This was much easier and built properly. I feel the choice was well made.
[IMG][/IMG]
Unread 01-06-2015, 04:14 PM   #4
jawasan
1989 YJ Wrangler 

..went ahead and pretty much purchased everything else so far from Novak.
Here are their motor mounts. Pretty damn solid.
[IMG][/IMG]

Intake parts....
[IMG][/IMG]
Unread 01-06-2015, 04:22 PM   #5
jawasan
1989 YJ Wrangler 

..opted out on the stock alternator and upgraded to a 250 amp version....
[IMG][/IMG]

I am currently undecided about a compressor....not sure if we want AC. Might just go with a York compressor and 'da hell with AC....this is where the wife has "input". Not worried about it right now since it all runs on it's own belt....can do it later.

Knowing the Vortec headers would not work in my application I bit the bullet and bought ceramic coated Sanderson headers...oh my God the wife DID COMPLAIN ABOUT THIS ONE! It's kind of a "forced purchase"...got to have different headers.
[IMG][/IMG]
Unread 01-06-2015, 04:26 PM   #6
jawasan
1989 YJ Wrangler 

...FINALLY this came in this afternoon from Novak. Already adapted for the NP208 transfer case, VSS installed too...
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Trans is their Level II build...
all the stuff done to Level I of course plus
High performance, furnace brazed torque converter
TransGo shift kit for strength and improved, calibrated shift timing
Alto Red Eagle clutch discs and band
Beast Reaction shell
Corvette 2nd gear piston
8-clutch 3rd gear pack
29-element sprag
Wide band
New reverse input drum
Large boost valve
Unread 01-06-2015, 04:29 PM   #7
jawasan
1989 YJ Wrangler 

...and that's about it!

Hell, I want to start tonight! But we have a few track BMW's that are being prepped for Grand Am and Daytona this month.....kinda' pulls rank right now!

So we'll yank out the 727/360 towards the weekend and repaint the engine bay and go from there....I will keep ya'll updated fo' sure.
Unread 01-06-2015, 04:30 PM   #8
jawasan
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
Subbed. Get to work
...a I will be hitting up your build thread right now as well!! Just noticed the links.
Unread 01-06-2015, 04:37 PM   #9
jawasan
1989 YJ Wrangler 

..in case anyone is wondering when I mentioned BMW's....this is current Grand AM project I am painting. My buddy does all the building.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Unread 01-06-2015, 04:38 PM   #10
jawasan
1989 YJ Wrangler 

and I will have this same style tube door in the jeep...with an short bar across the top section for comfort/armrest....

One blessing is the shop is DIRECTLY across the street from my house...walk right over with my coffee and get too it!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Unread 01-06-2015, 05:41 PM   #11
Randonexplosion
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawasan View Post

...a I will be hitting up your build thread right now as well!! Just noticed the links.
Looks like it's gonna be an awesome build. A level or 2 above mine

/f12 Moab Trip
Randonexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2015, 07:25 PM   #12
Rodknocker1
1986 CJ7 

I'm pretty much right where you are in parts for my swap. I did the 5.3 from BDTurnkey. It sat a few months at my house after I got it from Bryan. While my project was a full frame off CJ7, I got the engine early for fit up and fab. When I had it in the frame, I rigged up some switches for power, horn button for ignition, engine started first time and ran perfectly. The Novak mounts were exactly right, mine had six bolt holes on each mount and suggested to weld the top lip to the frame. Very well built and beefy. I also bought the ECM mount from Novak, highly recommend this. It does a great job for mounting the 'puter. I decided on the Level 2 TH350 trans. Arrived with everything right to bolt to my D300 TC. Also had the dustcover and detent cable. I changed the dip stick to a Lokar unit. The Sanderson headers are like yours, very well made, fit perfectly to miss the frame and was easy to build exhaust. I used shorty cat converters from Magnaflow. Mine are true duals all the way out. I centered the fuel tank to have equal room on both sides.
I bought a Jeep Air unit for A/C, they have the right adapters for your A/C compressor if you decide to go that way. I am going to use a Viair elec for my onboard air supply.
Close to complete with mine, have driven around the yard. I need a longer throttle cable and need to build a bracket for the detent cable. Using a new Painless kit and adapting to the 5.3 wiring. I think I'll be done about Mar or Apr. If I can offer any experienced based info, feel free to contact me.
Rodknocker1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2015, 11:53 AM   #13
jawasan
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
Looks like it's gonna be an awesome build. A level or 2 above mine
I dunno' boss! You build is pretty damn nice and solid.. and I am only about to page 23-24 of the hundred pages! Nice rig fo' sure man!
Unread 01-07-2015, 12:01 PM   #14
jawasan
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodknocker1 View Post
I'm pretty much right where you are in parts for my swap. I did the 5.3 from BDTurnkey. It sat a few months at my house after I got it from Bryan. While my project was a full frame off CJ7, I got the engine early for fit up and fab. When I had it in the frame, I rigged up some switches for power, horn button for ignition, engine started first time and ran perfectly. The Novak mounts were exactly right, mine had six bolt holes on each mount and suggested to weld the top lip to the frame. Very well built and beefy. I also bought the ECM mount from Novak, highly recommend this. It does a great job for mounting the 'puter. I decided on the Level 2 TH350 trans. Arrived with everything right to bolt to my D300 TC. Also had the dustcover and detent cable. I changed the dip stick to a Lokar unit. The Sanderson headers are like yours, very well made, fit perfectly to miss the frame and was easy to build exhaust. I used shorty cat converters from Magnaflow. Mine are true duals all the way out. I centered the fuel tank to have equal room on both sides.
I bought a Jeep Air unit for A/C, they have the right adapters for your A/C compressor if you decide to go that way. I am going to use a Viair elec for my onboard air supply.
Close to complete with mine, have driven around the yard. I need a longer throttle cable and need to build a bracket for the detent cable. Using a new Painless kit and adapting to the 5.3 wiring. I think I'll be done about Mar or Apr. If I can offer any experienced based info, feel free to contact me.
Sounds like the exact route I am going. I will upgrade to the Lokar dip tubes....but for now will keep the stock units. Yep, got the 'puter mount from them as well, also the trans tunnel cover, brake booster adapter plug.

I original had a true dual exhaust system with a centered gas tank for the 360 BUT when I added traction bar I lost valuable space, had to run into one pipe....

In hindsight I am goin' back to true duals somehow....

btw how is the sound? I DO NOT want to be obnoxious on trails....let me know.

Only thing that has me worried is wiring....but as you have seen from BD the harness is clean. I do have mechanical aftermarket gauges....stocking up on betters ones as we speak from Glowshift.
Unread 01-07-2015, 06:28 PM   #15
Rodknocker1
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawasan View Post
Sounds like the exact route I am going. I will upgrade to the Lokar dip tubes....but for now will keep the stock units. Yep, got the 'puter mount from them as well, also the trans tunnel cover, brake booster adapter plug.

I original had a true dual exhaust system with a centered gas tank for the 360 BUT when I added traction bar I lost valuable space, had to run into one pipe....

In hindsight I am goin' back to true duals somehow....

btw how is the sound? I DO NOT want to be obnoxious on trails....let me know.

Only thing that has me worried is wiring....but as you have seen from BD the harness is clean. I do have mechanical aftermarket gauges....stocking up on betters ones as we speak from Glowshift.
As far as how loud, not bad in the garage with shorty cats and some flow through mufflers. Not been on the road yet. The BD harness was no issue at all and the Painless kit has been very easy to adapt. I did add some relays to fire the headlights, electric fan and a few other relays for various things like dash control for the 8274 Warn, fog lights.
Got one of these from New Vintage
http://www.newvintageusa.com/images/...cust-small.jpg
Custom dash from Double D, packed it with Auto Meter gauges.
I got tired of looking at radiators, bought a Be Cool from Summit with fan, happy so far.
Corvette brake booster, H1 steering box and Tom Wood driveshafts. Hurst shifter for directional selection.
RuffStuf traction bar, slick piece of hardware. 1 1/4 inch steering links with 1 ton TRE
Satin Black Imron outside and gray Monstaliner interior with three new Corbeau Baja SS.

I have a freakin' fortune in this CJ. I have owned for 20 years, third total re-build. Will be handing off to one of the grandkids in a few years.
Rodknocker1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.