Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Finally! - 2000 TJ Slow Build... (very slow...)

82K views 602 replies 65 participants last post by  kennyboobear 
#1 ·
Finally! - Silverstone 2000 TJ

Well I've been wanting to make a build thread for ages, but haven't really had much going on with the Jeep to showcase other than my "custom" Audio/Visual system as well as a few little interior tweaks, Ie.) The Jeep badge/plaque on my glovebox. But I finally got my first real parts that I can showcase... putting them on this weekend ....
Day I bought it

Since the netbook is now (and has been for a year) in place of the CB, am currently planning to relocate the CB to the inside of the Console.

This is currently mounted on my dash, acts as GPS/Movie/Music/Portable Computer station thing.

Lastly a poser shot for kicks..

New Corner Guards with steel flairs... Can't wait to get them on

Currently: As of July 2012

See less See more
#64 ·
More goodies!!!!

Kittyhair and Metalcloak fenders arrived, and holy **** Metalcloak knows how to pack a box lmao

Now just waiting on the Currie lift package w/antirock and upper & lower adjustable CAs, adjustable track bar, Tom Wood's shaft and SYE :D

#66 ·
Shore will. Gonna paint them this weekend weather pending, and then do the install on the 28th of the month when I'm in Dallas picking up the Jeep before the move :2thumbsup:

#67 ·
I got home from work today, and I decided I would share a piece of information with you all. I have a raging woody.....

:2thumbsup:

Also take note of the Advance Adapters SYE kit..... Christmas in November!

#68 ·
And just for laughs, I'm amused at how my apartment looks more like a 4WD shop than a place of residence.

Nothing but Jeep parts and boxes everywhere lmao

And to think, the lift with adjustable upper and lower CAs, adjustable track bar, antirock and springs still need to be added to the pile, along with the new steering stabilizer and IPF lamps... ahah. Have no idea how I'm gonna get all this **** to Colorado. Oh well, I'll get it there one way or another :D

#69 ·
Le self etching primer. It's a nice light olive color...

And after the final coats of the matte black with a light texture to match my sliders, bumpers and rear corners.

Weather was about damn near perfect for painting. Dry as a bone, 55 degrees, sunny and damn near no wind at all. :2thumbsup: 2 more weeks and these bad boys will be on the Jeep :D

#71 ·
Thanks, will probably get them on the Friday after Thanksgiving. I damn sure am not gettin caught up in all that Black Friday bull**** lol, figure might as well make good use of the time. Will rotate my tires, change the oil, top off all the fluids under the hood, throw on the new steering stabilizer and the fenders. Hope to get it all done through Friday and Saturday, then pick my uhaul up on Tuesday, get her loaded up and hello Colorado!

#72 ·
Quick update of sorts. Metalcloak fenders are on and have been for a good two weeks now. Did the repair on my hardtop, gonna fix up the paint on it next. Lift should arrive today, then will get to work on that, the antirock, upper and lower CAs, short shaft kit, TW shaft and Rancho shocks. Should make for a good time/weekend. Am officially in Colorado now, as you'll see from this picture.

:2thumbsup:

#74 ·
Yessir, and to elaborate upon that, Gerald just informed me that I should be on the lookout for my lift :shhh: Out for delivery, so Brown Santa should make me awfully giddy this afternoon. Then just need the winch and regearing later this month. She'll be nifty to say the very least.

And another photo for kicks.

#76 ·
35x12.5R15 Goodyear MT/Rs my friend. Wheels are staying as is, but have a set of 1 1/2" spacers I'll be using to give me 4" of backspace. That with the 4" of lift should keep me from rubbing at all :D and on a brighter note, my Jeep should still fit in the garage post lift/tires haha

#77 ·

:shhh:

Time for the fun to begin :D

Advanced Adapters Short Shaft kit
Tom Woods Shaft
Currie Adj. Upper and Lower CAs
Currie Adjustable Trackbar
Currie 4" Coils
Currie Anti-Rock
Stainless Brake Lines
Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, front and rear
RC 1 1/2" Wheel Spacers
all of the other misc. crap that I don't feel like listing haha

I'm gonna need a few beers this weekend I do believe.

#79 ·
haha you can have them, right after I get that 1000$ lmao

On a separate note, I forgot to give credit where it's due.
I'd like to give a HUGE shout out to Gerald at Savvy Offroad. Customer service like what this man provides is unmatched. He's a great guy to BS with and gets you what you need, when you need it. I will never hesitate in doing business with him and/or Savvy in general, as they are simply a superior business. Thanks Gerald, you've allowed me yet another reason to stay single :rofl:

#81 ·
You and me both :2thumbsup:

#82 ·
So rear control arms are on, springs are out. About to put the Currie 4" springs in but wanna get the trackbar re-locator bracket drilled in, and in the mean time decided to remove the factory driveshaft in prep. for the short shaft kit & TW Shaft and whatta ya know! 2 of the bolts snapped off, haven't attempted the other two so.... that's the stopping point for the evening lol, hopefully by Saturday night she'll be 4" taller :2thumbsup:

#85 ·
lol well, it's almost done. Gonna get the front finished this afternoon. Then still need to get he short shaft/TW shaft done. Only real problem that is going to hamper things is the track bar bracket issue. Apparently I got shipped the wrong one haha, ah well. Hopefully will have the proper one shortly.

Funny thing is, the rear end actually doesn't look THAT bad with 31s on thanks to the 1 1/2" spacers, might just keep them on and save the 1000$ :2thumbsup:

But then that rock next to my garage would go unconquered.... D'oh!

Edit: Currie only makes one track bar bracket. Time to force the damn thing in haha

#86 ·
Ignore the quality, but here's a quick teaser shot on 31s lol, sorry for the poor quality, camera phone doesn't take exceptional night shots.

Not sure if I have enough room to clear 35s :rofl:

That said, was finishing up with literally, the very last thing, being the rear trackbar relocator. And now I can't get my last uca bolted in. Tried a comealong on the axle and it still ends up about 2mm short.... so this makes day 5 of no Jeep.

#88 ·
haha thanks, just a little bit of clearance.

Finally finished everything up this afternoon. Will take some poser shots tomorrow, she's a beaut lol. In front wheel drive until I can get around to doing the SYE and TW shaft this coming weekend though, but hey, at least it's driveable :2thumbsup:

#89 ·
One word....

PICTURES!!! :D

Driveline angle is about dead on, a degree or two lower to compensate for torque, not a vibe in the world :2thumbsup:

Really impressed with how this system rides. It honestly feels better than it did stock and the anti-rock gives me the feeling that I'm disconnected but with added stability. DDing on the softest setting of the shocks and man do they absorb the bumps in the road. I can honestly say it rides better than my buddy's RE 5 1/2" Long Arm setup which has surprised me immensely. Thanks again Gerry, this is simply awesome!

Next on the to do list.

XRC10 Comp. Winch & winchplate
PSC Full Cage
Savvy Tank Skid
UCF TT & possibly their tranny skid as well
Oil Pan skid
Durango Steering box & skid
regear to 4.88 w/35x12.5 tires (as it admittedly looks goofy on 31s)
Chromoly shafts, front and back
OX for the 30, sticking with the LSD in the rear for now

This should at least get me in the right direction :D

Anyhow, back to the garage as I need to finish up some of the fiberglass repair on the hard top and clean up my bumper/sliders from the various cuts I had to make to fit Metalcloaks and Anti-Rock.

Cheers!

P.S. Huge thanks to both Josh and Doug, two locals who together helped me extensively in getting my lift and SYE done. Without them she'd still be on jack stands and in FWD haha

#92 ·
Thank ya sir, it's turning out well so far :D

I take it your strap didn't fall off after I drilled those broken yoke strap bolts and retapped it. ;)
Now you need to get your butt over here tomorrow and help me caught up on this TJ 8.8s I have to build. I got a order for another one after you left today. LOL
Haha, if you need a hand give me a yell, I got nothing else to do. Unfortunately the pinion yoke worked out well until I hit a bump. The slight vibe that the anti-rock absorbed caused it to get angry and eat a baby chihuahua. As a result my Jeep exploded and I find I'm now stuck in a place where everyone is wearing panchos and asking me if I'm hungry. Damn Anti-Rock :laugh:

#91 ·
I take it your strap didn't fall off after I drilled those broken yoke strap bolts and retapped it. ;)
Now you need to get your butt over here tomorrow and help me caught up on this TJ 8.8s I have to build. I got a order for another one after you left today. LOL

#93 ·
Funny how things change, was just looking through my build thread and realized how the initial plan didn't quite stick haha. Time to update it I reckon.

Done
Stage 1
Hard Top - 500.00
Smittybilt Rear Full Corners - 224.99
3" Flare - 119.99
Smittybilt XRC Stinger Bumper - 199.99
Smittybilt XRC Rock Slider w/Tube Step - 219.99
Savvy Rear Rock Crawler Bumper - 275.00
Shackles x 4 - 39.99
Grab Handles x 2 - 31.98
Infinity 4x6 Speakers - 79.99
Polk DB 5 ¼" Speakers - 89.99
Rockford Fosgate 10" in Ported Rockford Box - Free
Power Acoustik 4ch 600w Amp - 25.00
Hella 500FF Driving Lamps - Free
Optima Red Top - 60.00
Metalcloak Arch Fenders - 760.00
Currie 4" Lift W/Anti-Rock - 1585.00
Tom Woods Shaft - 200.00
AA SYE - 285.00
Currie Rear Tracbar Bracket kit - 85.00
Rancho RS9000XL Shocks F&R - 340.00
Crown Stainless Brake Lines - 95.00
Rough Country 1 1/2" Wheel Spacers - 120.00
HP30 - Free (freebies like this are nothing short of win :2thumbsup:
To Be Done
4.88 Regear - 690.00 (paid for, waiting on 35s to install them)
Savvy Gas Tank Skid - 339.99
Goodyear Wrangler MT/R or BFG KM2s 35x12.5 - 849.99 (roughly)
Smittybilt XRC10 Comp. Winch - 549.99
PSC Full Cage - 1000.00
PUREJEEP Steering Box Skid - 49.99
Riddler D30/D44 Covers - 99.99/109.99 x 2
OX D30 Locker - 839.99
UCF Aluminum TT - 349.99
Chromoly Axle Shafts - 500-700 per axle.

5826.92 into the build (roughly) counting cost of the regear (including the gears and master installs sitting in the garage.)

4189.92 to go, roughly, to get her where I feel it's safe to say she's rock ready. That doesn't however include the beefier shafts, which will become a necessity. So safe to say I'm more than half way through the build cost. Have about another 5400-5500 to go lol

Bright side is it's like a band-aid, only hurts for a second :shhh:

Also no longer building in stages per se` as I'd really like to aim to having what's left on the list done before EJS :2thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.