Father & Son 88 YJ Rebuild - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Father & Son 88 YJ Rebuild

8.8 Swap Kit w/ TRUSS for Jeeps~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 09-24-2013, 08:58 PM   #16
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hig69

Why a flanged style nut? There's more material there so the heat might not distort it as much?

Thanks, Steve
My thinking is that there is more surface area so the load is spread on the channel patch more rather than localized by the hole.

schaef89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2013, 04:32 AM   #17
hig69
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaef89 View Post
My thinking is that there is more surface area so the load is spread on the channel patch more rather than localized by the hole.
Thanks makes sense, thanks for the suggestion.

Steve
hig69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2013, 06:49 PM   #18
hig69
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I was able to work on the patch by the steering box, I think it came out very good.

I welded a flanged nut to the back of the 10 ga. patch and fit it up:

All ground, sand blasted and test fitted:

I wish I could say my son had a good of a night as well. I picked up 2 bags of sand blasting sand/slag the other day, the lumber yard usually has Black Beauty coal slag but they had something much courser this time and kept plugging up the nozzle so between fighting with the nozzle and cleaning up afterward he did not get much done!! A couple of years ago I put up a plastic "Spray Booth" in my garage that we are using for sand blasting right now.

Hopefully I can get some other sand blasting material tomorrow and this will go better.

Steve
Unread 10-12-2013, 07:36 PM   #19
hig69
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Zack and I have been trying to get out to the garage as much as possible but it's been hard. We've been sand blasting and epoxy priming some parts and the frame.

Here are the axles blasted ready to prime:

Primed with 3 coats of SPI Epoxy primer:

We also did some small parts and sprayed some parts silver to add some color under there:
Unread 10-12-2013, 07:43 PM   #20
Tyler980
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Wish my dad woulda done cool projects like this with me. I can't wait to see how this turns out.
Tyler980 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2013, 07:51 PM   #21
hig69
1988 YJ Wrangler 

We finished sandblasting the frame today:

Sand blasted and wiped down with wax & grease remover:

Sprayed with 2 coats of SPI Epoxy primer:

Unfortunately while sand blasting we found 2 more rust spots that will have to be patched, here is one:

I have a 7 day recoat window with the epoxy so if I get my repairs done before then I can just shot over the existing primer without having to scuff or sand.

I'm still debating if we will try to fill any of the pits left from the rust, I'm tempted to but I have to keep telling myself it's just the frame!!!:

We still have a few more undercarriage parts to blast and prime. The 4" Rough Country lift kit is here and we are waiting on the red polyurethane bushing kit to show up.

Steve
Unread 10-12-2013, 07:58 PM   #22
hig69
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler980 View Post
Wish my dad woulda done cool projects like this with me. I can't wait to see how this turns out.
Yes, it's nice having Zack in the garage with me, he's learning a lot, we're spending some good time together and my wife is not give me as much of a hard time about being out there since I'm with him.

I just want to make sure I spend quality time with my older son (Nick) also!!!
Unread 10-12-2013, 08:09 PM   #23
Tyler980
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Haha well thats a plus!
Tyler980 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #24
mindhunter77
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Looking great man. Love the paint booth! =)
Unread 10-18-2013, 06:58 PM   #25
hig69
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindhunter77 View Post
Looking great man. Love the paint booth! =)
Thanks for the compliment. There's nothing like sand blasting in a paint booth.

It works well at containing the dust from sandblasting and sanding and the overspray from painting but I don't have any intake filters so it doesn't do much to keep dust out of the paint. I have a 16" explosion proof exhaust fan to exhaust the booth.

It worked out great because my employer had all of their florescent lights replace so I was able to get a bunch of 8 footers with bulbs that I used in the booth.

Before we paint the Jeep I plan on replacing all of the plastic with fresh, clearer and lighter weight plastic.

Thanks again, Steve
Unread 10-18-2013, 07:08 PM   #26
hig69
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Zack and I worked on the last 2 rust spots we found while sandblasting the frame during the week.

Here's the patch all fit up ready to weld:

Zack welding it up:

I'm not expert but I think he did a great job welding (any advice would be appreciated):

Grinding it down:

And the finished product:

I was very proud of the job he did, I tried to stay out of the way and let him do most of it.

We plan on sand blasting and priming more suspension parts tomorrow.

Steve
Unread 10-20-2013, 04:31 PM   #27
hig69
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Saturday Zack and I spend quite a bit of time sandblasting, cleaning up and priming more parts:

We still plan on spraying the new springs that came in the RC 4" lift then we will be able to start reassembling the suspension!!!

Steve
Unread 10-20-2013, 07:21 PM   #28
ZSXJ430

Man it is coming along great. The only thing I would have considered doing was putting a bit more steel around where the steering pump mounts. The less flex the better. Otherwise, looking pretty darn good. You guys keep it up.
Unread 10-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #29
hig69
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSXJ430 View Post
Man it is coming along great. The only thing I would have considered doing was putting a bit more steel around where the steering pump mounts. The less flex the better. Otherwise, looking pretty darn good. You guys keep it up.
Thanks for the encouragement, it's hard not to get discouraged because we're not farther along but I is nice to know the frame will be going back together soon!!
Unread 10-22-2013, 06:43 PM   #30
hig69
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I finally took some pics of the 1/2 doors and soft top we picked up from Craigslist a few days after we bought the Jeep. We got the doors and Besttop frame and canvas and the best part was they were only a couple of miles away. I one door will require some work on the lower corner but other than that they are nice. The top is in okay shape, we will probably just end up using the frame and get a new black canvas.

So now we have the options of the original hardtop and full doors or the softtop and half doors.

Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.