Father & Son 88 YJ Rebuild - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Father & Son 88 YJ Rebuild

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 09-19-2013, 10:17 AM   #1
hig69
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Father & Son 88 YJ Rebuild

My youngest son turned 15 on August 6th and he is into cars like me. Ive always wanted to do a project with my boys and I thought a Jeep Wrangler would be great. I bought the Jeep from my brother-in-law who is a car dealer, it has high miles (220,000) but runs and drives great and the 4 wheel drive engages and seems smooth. My B-I-L has sold some Jeeps so he knows where the bad areas are on the frame to watch out for, and this frames looked good. We knew it would need floor pans and a few patches on the body but for a New York vehicle it was solid!!

Here are some pics of when we purchased it:

The jeep will be used primarily for on road use, my son says he doesnt want to get it dirty after we fix it all up but he wants a winch on the front (must be just for looks).  The Jeep currently has 30 tires and from the reading Ive done we figure the largest we would go is 33 tires (with the stock axles) so we are thinking about a 4 Rough County lift but that is yet to be finalized.

Here are a few pics of a mocked up 4 lift and the 30 tires, the tires are a little small but we dont think it looks too bad:

Ive been doing a lot of reading on YJs but wed welcome any suggestions of other options as we work on it.

The basic plans for the Jeep are:
- Completely Disassemble the Jeep down to the frame
- Sandblast, repair and epoxy prime the entire frame and running gear
- Install a suspension lift
- Replace the body mounts
- Have a valve job done, replace the water pump and repaint all the engine components
- Replace the stock Carter carb with ????
- Rewire the under hood electrical system, clean up the under dash wires and reroute the vacuum hoses
- Repair the rust in the tub, fenders & doors
- Repaint the Jeep bright red my sons girlfriend wants yellow
- Spray the inside of the tub with Raptor bedliner
- Reundercoat the underside of the tub
- Reassemble!!!

Ive been doing a lot of reading on YJs but wed welcome any suggestions of other options as we work on the jeep. I hope this will be a good experience for my son & myself, it should bring us closer and hopefully I can pass on some of my knowledge to him.

Ive been reading threads by Jeep Hammer on wiring, man there is some great info and knowledge on this site!!!

More to come, Steve & Zack

hig69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 11:18 AM   #2
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

nice find and welcome to YJ ownership. I'll be following this build
schaef89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 04:18 AM   #3
hig69
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I didnt really say that we purchased the Jeep about 2 weeks ago and have been making progress on stripping it down so I wanted to update where we stood last night.

We pulled the motor out last night and hopefully tonight we will get the trans/transfer case out and all power washed up.

This is the way it sits right now:

And a couple of other shots:

Here are a few pics of the front floor pans we need to replace. Im not sure if I want to purchase just the front pans or the rears also. Im very thankful the floor seems very strong around the roll bar mounts:

I have more pics to share but unfortunately we are taking the pics from my phone, my sons Ipod and a digital camera so I dont have them all in one place yet!!

Steve
Unread 09-21-2013, 01:26 PM   #4
hig69
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Last night my son and I made a cart to move the tub around on. It took 8 2x4x8's and $28 worth of Harbor Freight's casters. I left the long sides 8' and the front and back 4' so I should be able to reuse most of the lumber when I'm done with the cart.

Steve
Unread 09-21-2013, 01:45 PM   #5
Tyler980
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Suggestion on the carter replacement. Look up nutter bypass.. perform that and get the motorcraft 2150. Removes a lot of the vac lines and prtty much bolts right up. Unless you have emissions in your area :/
Tyler980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 06:35 PM   #6
ZSXJ430

Looks like you are going as far as I am with my XJ. Keep the pics coming!
Unread 09-23-2013, 06:23 PM   #7
hig69
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler980 View Post
Suggestion on the carter replacement. Look up nutter bypass.. perform that and get the motorcraft 2150. Removes a lot of the vac lines and prtty much bolts right up. Unless you have emissions in your area :/
I have done some reading on the nutter bypass and the Team Rush upgrade to the stock distributor. We hope to complete rewire and redo the vacuum lines under the hood, emissions should not be a problem.

I guess I'm not sure on the carb, we plan on getting rid of the stock Carter and install a MC, Holley or Weber. Why do you recommend the MC over the other? I kinda like the Holley's but am not sure about the whole linkage setup but we have time to decide on that.

Thanks for the advice, Steve
Unread 09-23-2013, 06:25 PM   #8
hig69
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaef89 View Post
nice find and welcome to YJ ownership. I'll be following this build
Thank you!!! I think it will be an awesome project for my son & I.

Thanks again, Steve
Unread 09-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #9
hig69
1988 YJ Wrangler 

My son wasn't feeling well tonight so I went out to the garage and did some welding on the frame, I repaired 2 spots. I got some 10ga. steel from work to make the patches.

Here is one of them:

I have not done much welding just some sheet metal panels, does anyone have any suggestions, should I have a bigger or smaller space between the patch and the frame to help with penetration? I did put a small chamfer on the metal before welding.

Thanks, Steve
Unread 09-23-2013, 08:11 PM   #10
Tyler980
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hig69 View Post
I have done some reading on the nutter bypass and the Team Rush upgrade to the stock distributor. We hope to complete rewire and redo the vacuum lines under the hood, emissions should not be a problem.

I guess I'm not sure on the carb, we plan on getting rid of the stock Carter and install a MC, Holley or Weber. Why do you recommend the MC over the other? I kinda like the Holley's but am not sure about the whole linkage setup but we have time to decide on that.

Thanks for the advice, Steve
I've never used any of the other carbs, but the MC is pretty simplistic it seems, bolts right up with an adapter plate (if you buy off ebay guy he sends with it) and looks like it'd be a simple rebuild for later on. Lessens the amount of vac lines you need, and seems pretty good at angles, the only issues I've read is about elevation, and getting the right jets.
Tyler980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 04:45 AM   #11
hig69
1988 YJ Wrangler 

This will be the next area I need to fix:

If I weld a nut to the back of my 10ga. patch will that be okay? I realize I will have to retap the nut from the heat.

Any sugguestions?

Thanks, Steve
Unread 09-24-2013, 11:41 AM   #12
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That's how I'd do it. Only I would use a flange style nut
schaef89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 05:18 PM   #13
ZSXJ430

Little by little, it is getting there. Are you going to blast the whole frame after you repair it and lay some fresh paint? If you are, maybe look at the Monsterliner. They have a thread on the Forum here. Looks like good stuff. I am going to use it inside my body.
Unread 09-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #14
hig69
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaef89 View Post
That's how I'd do it. Only I would use a flange style nut
Why a flanged style nut? There's more material there so the heat might not distort it as much?

Thanks, Steve
Unread 09-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #15
hig69
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSXJ430 View Post
Little by little, it is getting there. Are you going to blast the whole frame after you repair it and lay some fresh paint? If you are, maybe look at the Monsterliner. They have a thread on the Forum here. Looks like good stuff. I am going to use it inside my body.
Yes, we will be sand blasting the frame then just plan on epoxy priming the frame and leaving it a semi gloss black. We do plan on using bedliner on the inside of the tub, I was thinking of Upol Raptor liner but I can do some research on Monsterliner.

Little by little things are getting done!!

Thanks, Steve

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.