1Likes
  • 1 Post By ravenworks

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 02-11-2017, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Benderff
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

The Family Jeepster (C101 Commando)

After watching too many episodes of Roadkill I found myself half heartedly looking for a fun project. After a week of negotiations and a two hour haul home I'm the owner of a 1971 Jeepster Commando.

The jeep comes with a Buick 225 Dauntless V6 (oddfire) that was in process of being rebuild. A T-14 three speed that's out and was rebuilt. Dana 20 transfer case that's also out and rebuilt, with a Novak twin stick kit. It has a Dana 27 front axle that's supposed to have a Yukon locker and Chromo shafts, and Warn hubs. A Dana 44 rear with a limited slip. Somehow those axles where supposed to handle the brand new 35x12.50-15 Pitbull Rockers that are on them. It has a spring over for the lift to fit the tires. My truck was loaded with extra parts on the trip home. I see a ton of potential in this Jeep. Right now I am sorting through everything, learning, and planning.

My early ideas.
Finish the 225 vs building a 231. The frame has been boxed in, I need to get a better look at it. I'm not sure about V8 power in this. Plus I'm digging the stuff I am reading about the Buick v6's.
The axles need to grow. The factory axles have a 50'' wms-wms. I see some rather large wheel spacers on now. I'm not into full width, so I may build something.
The T14 is tiny! Maybe a SM465 behind the 231?
I need to investigate suspension. The spring over looks scary.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-11-2017, 08:13 PM
CGrugger
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
After watching too many episodes of Roadkill I found myself half heartedly looking for a fun project. After a week of negotiations and a two hour haul home I'm the owner of a 1971 Jeepster Commando.

The jeep comes with a Buick 225 Dauntless V6 (oddfire) that was in process of being rebuild. A T-14 three speed that's out and was rebuilt. Dana 20 transfer case that's also out and rebuilt, with a Novak twin stick kit. It has a Dana 27 front axle that's supposed to have a Yukon locker and Chromo shafts, and Warn hubs. A Dana 44 rear with a limited slip. Somehow those axles where supposed to handle the brand new 35x12.50-15 Pitbull Rockers that are on them. It has a spring over for the lift to fit the tires. My truck was loaded with extra parts on the trip home. I see a ton of potential in this Jeep. Right now I am sorting through everything, learning, and planning.

My early ideas.
Finish the 225 vs building a 231. The frame has been boxed in, I need to get a better look at it. I'm not sure about V8 power in this. Plus I'm digging the stuff I am reading about the Buick v6's.
The axles need to grow. The factory axles have a 50'' wms-wms. I see some rather large wheel spacers on now. I'm not into full width, so I may build something.
The T14 is tiny! Maybe a SM465 behind the 231?
I need to investigate suspension. The spring over looks scary.
Nice! Can we get some more pics?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

2005 TJ X: 2" RE spacer lift, 32"x11.5" tires, 1.25" Zone body lift, Curry Antirock sway bar.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-11-2017, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Benderff
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGrugger View Post
Nice! Can we get some more pics?

Thanks. For sure. Anything you want in particular?

post #4 of 11 Old 02-11-2017, 08:24 PM
CGrugger
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

A closer up angled front shot? Interior picls. It looks really clean for its age

2005 TJ X: 2" RE spacer lift, 32"x11.5" tires, 1.25" Zone body lift, Curry Antirock sway bar.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-12-2017, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Benderff
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Sorted the pile of parts that came with the Jeep and took a few before pictures.

Looks like someone boxed in the frame already. I'll get a better look at it when I get the surface rust off.

The block will be pulled soon.

Axles and suspension need to be first up. The giant wheel spacers and those shock mounts

Rebuilt T14

Rebuilt Dana 20 with some Novak upgrades.

post #6 of 11 Old 02-12-2017, 07:38 PM
ravenworks
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I remember our elementary teacher driving a new Commando to school,we used to think how weird that was.
Little did we know how cool she really was.
Benderff likes this.

Semper-Fi "81-84"
I.U.O.E. - 18
post #7 of 11 Old 02-12-2017, 08:26 PM
CGrugger
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenworks View Post
I remember our elementary teacher driving a new Commando to school,we used to think how weird that was.
Little did we know how cool she really was.
I would be jealous of her.

post #8 of 11 Old 02-13-2017, 11:37 PM
ravenworks
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGrugger View Post
I would be jealous of her.

If I remember right,she even had a dash plaque with her name on it.

Semper-Fi "81-84"
I.U.O.E. - 18
post #9 of 11 Old 02-14-2017, 09:27 AM
zackcj7
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looks to be in pretty good shape. I just helped a friend swap a Waggy 44 front and a Isuzu 44 rear into his. We had to outboard the front, but other than that it was a pretty easy swap.
post #10 of 11 Old 02-14-2017, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Benderff
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Nice! Axles are high on the list. Do you have any pictures of the outboard you can share? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackcj7 View Post
Looks to be in pretty good shape. I just helped a friend swap a Waggy 44 front and a Isuzu 44 rear into his. We had to outboard the front, but other than that it was a pretty easy swap.

post #11 of 11 Old 02-15-2017, 09:40 AM
zackcj7
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
Nice! Axles are high on the list. Do you have any pictures of the outboard you can share? Thanks.
I have one that barely shows the outboard. I can probably get some more. He is a member on the Jeepster/Commando Club board and may have already posted them there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.