Evan1981's 2005 LJ Rubicon - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Evan1981's 2005 LJ Rubicon

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePoison Spyder JK Body Mounted Tire Carrier2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3

Unread 01-24-2015, 09:34 PM   #1
Evan1981
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Evan1981's 2005 LJ Rubicon

A couple weeks ago I bought my first Jeep! It's a 2005 LJ Rubicon. It needs some work but I bought it for a price that leaves me some budget to get a few things done. Unfortunately for you, most of the stuff it needs is boring maintenance crap.

The modifications I've found so far are:
-Locker override that lets you lock the diffs in 4Hi rather than just 4LO
-ProComp 4" lift link to the lift
-Hard top and Bestop Trektop NX
-Some really bad eBay HID headlights
-Some hacked up stereo wiring for a sub that wasn't included
-RockHard4x4 front bumper
-Bestop tire carrier on a tailgate with no vent (must have bent the original one)
-Wider than stock fender flares
-33x10.5x15 Toyo MT tires on Canyon wheels.
...and the most annoying modification of all... He chopped off a light bracket that was attached to the windshield hinge which leaves behind cross threaded bolts with heads chopped off. This is a pain in the ***. When I think about these mods I have to remind myself that I bought it at a good price.

Here are some pictures.

My immediate plans are to address the issues that are going to come up on the out-of-province inspection. I'm only going to be driving it in the summer so I'm not in a big rush right now. If I had to guess, down the road I'll be reducing the lift to 2" or less and putting on higher clearance fenders to keep adequate tire clearance. I'm looking forward to spending some time in the garage this winter and then having a fun ride for the summer!

Evan1981 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 08:50 PM   #2
Evan1981
2005 LJ Wrangler 

On Friday I bought a temporary permit to drive it to my hometown. It was a 3 hour drive at around 70mph. When I slowed down and the wind noise died down I noticed a noise that wasn't there during the test drives. It happened when I was off the clutch pedal. As soon as I put a little bit of pressure on the clutch it stopped. Also, the center console was warm.

Here's one from the inside accelerating from a stop.

Here's one from the inside in neutral while pressing and releasing the clutch.

From outside in neutral.

I posted up a question on the forum. I was hoping someone would hear it and say "That's definitely (insert basic issue here) and all you have to do is (insert easy fix here)." No such luck but I did get a few suggestions from WhiteMtnJeep. Yesterday I tried an oil change. I went around to a few shops until I found 14mm and 17mm hex wrenches, a fluid transfer pump and 2 litres of Royal Purple Synchromax.

I loosened off the fill plug first to make sure I'd be able to fill it back up and then I dropped the drain plug. Looks like it's been a while since the oil has been changed. This picture shows the amount that spilled out of the fill hole.

I drained it completely, filled it back up, started it up and let it get to operating temperature. So far so good. No noise. ...But... I didn't get to go for a real test drive because while I was underneath I noticed that two of the skid plate bolts had let go. I'm hopeful that the noise is was sorted out by the oil change but I'll have to wait until I can drive it again to know for sure.

It's tough to tell from the picture but it looks like the last owner made an attempt to address issues with the skid plate nuts and it had let go at the passenger side front and middle bolt.

I tried relieving some of the pressure on the skid plate with a floor jack and screwing it back in but without the pressure the bolt just fell out. You can see some crappy welds between the washer and nut. I'm not sure what he was trying to do here.

This morning, after another suggestion from WhiteMtnJeep, I ordered the Nutsert replacement kit from Black Magic Brakes. So now it will sit on a jack stand until I can get the nutserts installed.
Evan1981 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.