EugeneTheTJ's 2000 XJ Build Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > EugeneTheTJ's 2000 XJ Build Thread

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 06-15-2014, 03:45 PM   #1
EugeneTheTJ
Tar Heel

2003 TJ Wrangler 

EugeneTheTJ's 2000 XJ Build Thread

Well, I finally found a suitable DD to give my TJ a break and allow me to use the TJ in the manner I built it for.

I present to you my new XJ.

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport
4.0 auto 4wd
D30, C 8.25
No rust
Mopar Hitch
Stock minus some stereo equipment

When I got it:

How it sits now:

EugeneTheTJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2014, 03:46 PM   #2
EugeneTheTJ
Tar Heel

2003 TJ Wrangler 

One of the things I regretted about my TJ build was not having the sense to save copies of the dealer pics for reference of what I started with. I made sure to not make this mistake twice.

Unread 06-15-2014, 03:46 PM   #3
EugeneTheTJ
Tar Heel

2003 TJ Wrangler 

For those who don't know, this is the vehicle that is being relieved of its DD duties:

Build thread link is in my sig. Eugene is about to get a whole lot of attention (lots of parts have been waiting patiently for me to find a DD)
Unread 06-15-2014, 03:46 PM   #4
EugeneTheTJ
Tar Heel

2003 TJ Wrangler 

As this is a DD, I want to build the Jeep while keeping in mind that it will see a lot of miles on the road.

Current short-term plans are as follows (in no particular order):
  • 2-3 inch lift
  • 31x10.50 A/T tires
  • Steel bumpers front and rear
  • Rock sliders

Further down the road, I plan to make it into more of an expedition style build while still maintaining its drivability and gas mileage.
Unread 06-15-2014, 03:55 PM   #5
EugeneTheTJ
Tar Heel

2003 TJ Wrangler 

At its new home. The Liberty is my wife's. (forgive the slight blurriness)

My other 2 Jeeps:
Unread 06-15-2014, 04:06 PM   #6
EugeneTheTJ
Tar Heel

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I've "worked" on it a little so far. Actually, my wife and I have.

The rubber engine shield was falling down at a few points. It mounts with the same push pins as the TJ's inner fenders use (which are pieces of ****). Some of the pins were missing and some just tore through the rubber. I reattached the shield using a combo of the pins and zipties so it should be okay for now. Seeing as how my TJ doesn't even have one of these, I am going to go out on a limb and say the XJ doesn't really need it either. As such, I am probably going to just rip it out in the near future.

Meanwhile, there is somewhat of a smoke smell in the interior thanks to one of the PO's. My wife has been cleaning and shampooing the interior and much of the smell is gone. I am pretty sure the very faint smell that is left is coming from the headliner (which is falling a little in the front anyways) so I am going to have the headliner replaced this week.
Unread 06-15-2014, 10:26 PM   #7
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneTheTJ
Meanwhile, there is somewhat of a smoke smell in the interior thanks to one of the PO's. My wife has been cleaning and shampooing the interior and much of the smell is gone. I am pretty sure the very faint smell that is left is coming from the headliner (which is falling a little in the front anyways) so I am going to have the headliner replaced this week.
The last two jeeps my buddy bought had smoker previous owners. He used a product called "Ozium". Can find it at any local parts store. If the shampooing doesn't do the trick this stuff is worth a shot. Smelled much better after he applied it.
Unread 06-16-2014, 05:13 AM   #8
EugeneTheTJ
Tar Heel

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaef81 View Post

The last two jeeps my buddy bought had smoker previous owners. He used a product called "Ozium". Can find it at any local parts store. If the shampooing doesn't do the trick this stuff is worth a shot. Smelled much better after he applied it.
Thanks, I'll look into it if the smell is still lingering!
Unread 06-16-2014, 09:17 PM   #9
EugeneTheTJ
Tar Heel

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I am having a lot of trouble trying to figure out these lift options. I am looking for 2 to 3 inches. Currently, I own RE coil spacers which would give me ~2 inches front (1.75 +.25 isolator) and I also own a set of RC 2.5" TJ front springs which I am guessing would give me 2.5 to 3 inches of lift.

Since I already own these, I am trying to find rear options that would be compatible and still ride good. My only issue is that leaf springs are completely new to me.

I know lift blocks are ****ty and can cause axle wrap. Also, from what I have read, AAL's produce a very rough ride.

What about just 2" lift shackles in the back? I know a lot of XJ BB kits come with them but is the ride going to be miserable if I don't also get a shackle relocation kit?

I wish OME still made their 2" full replacement springs so my decision would be easy. I just can't seem to find 2" full spring packs anywhere.

What about the Crown replacement packs on Quadratec's website?

Help me!
Unread 06-18-2014, 06:47 AM   #10
tofuzeppelin

2001 TJ Wrangler 

You could go for the AALs and a shackle and get some really nice shocks to try and compensate the ride, but if it came down to it Id say just go for the RE 3.5 super ride. Throw some OME or Bilstein shocks on with it and call it good.

Glad to see you get into the XJ side of things man, its not as bad as everyone makes it out to be.
tofuzeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2014, 09:15 AM   #11
mike_bfdr
1981 CJ8 

very nice looken xj....... looks good
Unread 06-18-2014, 02:03 PM   #12
EugeneTheTJ
Tar Heel

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks yall.

From what I am seeing I am thinking about going with some longer shackles + a shackle relocation kit (HD Offroad). Seems like it would give me lift, still ride smooth, and not cause premature leaf wear.

Further, since this is going towards the "Expedition" style build, I could easily replace a broken stock leaf spring anywhere in the country. Can't do that if I break the leaf packs on an aftermarket kit.
Unread 06-18-2014, 08:12 PM   #13
EugeneTheTJ
Tar Heel

2003 TJ Wrangler 

New headliner is in. Very very nice. Definitely taking my Waggy to that shop for interior work when the time comes. ****ty tweeters one of the PO's added to the rear are also gone (my request).

Pics of the headliner:

oh yeah...
Unread 06-18-2014, 10:19 PM   #14
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

welcome to the my other jeeps a jeep club...lol...sweet looking xj there...

Shhhhhh I'm not crazy...It's just the voices in my head
freaknajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2014, 05:15 AM   #15
EugeneTheTJ
Tar Heel

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaknajeep View Post
welcome to the my other jeeps a jeep club...lol...sweet looking xj there...
Haha thanks man!

Tags
cherokee , daily driver , dogs , expedition build , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.