Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

EugeneTheTJ's 2000 XJ Build Thread

19K views 112 replies 20 participants last post by  EugeneTheTJ 
#1 ·
Well, I finally found a suitable DD to give my TJ a break and allow me to use the TJ in the manner I built it for.

I present to you my new XJ.

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport
4.0 auto 4wd
D30, C 8.25
No rust
Mopar Hitch
Stock minus some stereo equipment

When I got it:

How it sits now:

See less See more
#3 ·
For those who don't know, this is the vehicle that is being relieved of its DD duties:

Build thread link is in my sig. Eugene is about to get a whole lot of attention (lots of parts have been waiting patiently for me to find a DD)

#4 ·
As this is a DD, I want to build the Jeep while keeping in mind that it will see a lot of miles on the road.

Current short-term plans are as follows (in no particular order):
  • 2-3 inch lift
  • 31x10.50 A/T tires
  • Steel bumpers front and rear
  • Rock sliders

Further down the road, I plan to make it into more of an expedition style build while still maintaining its drivability and gas mileage.

#6 ·
I've "worked" on it a little so far. Actually, my wife and I have.

The rubber engine shield was falling down at a few points. It mounts with the same push pins as the TJ's inner fenders use (which are pieces of ****). Some of the pins were missing and some just tore through the rubber. I reattached the shield using a combo of the pins and zipties so it should be okay for now. Seeing as how my TJ doesn't even have one of these, I am going to go out on a limb and say the XJ doesn't really need it either. As such, I am probably going to just rip it out in the near future.

Meanwhile, there is somewhat of a smoke smell in the interior thanks to one of the PO's. My wife has been cleaning and shampooing the interior and much of the smell is gone. I am pretty sure the very faint smell that is left is coming from the headliner (which is falling a little in the front anyways) so I am going to have the headliner replaced this week.

#7 ·
EugeneTheTJ said:
Meanwhile, there is somewhat of a smoke smell in the interior thanks to one of the PO's. My wife has been cleaning and shampooing the interior and much of the smell is gone. I am pretty sure the very faint smell that is left is coming from the headliner (which is falling a little in the front anyways) so I am going to have the headliner replaced this week.
The last two jeeps my buddy bought had smoker previous owners. He used a product called "Ozium". Can find it at any local parts store. If the shampooing doesn't do the trick this stuff is worth a shot. Smelled much better after he applied it.

#9 ·
I am having a lot of trouble trying to figure out these lift options. I am looking for 2 to 3 inches. Currently, I own RE coil spacers which would give me ~2 inches front (1.75 +.25 isolator) and I also own a set of RC 2.5" TJ front springs which I am guessing would give me 2.5 to 3 inches of lift.

Since I already own these, I am trying to find rear options that would be compatible and still ride good. My only issue is that leaf springs are completely new to me.

I know lift blocks are ****ty and can cause axle wrap. Also, from what I have read, AAL's produce a very rough ride.

What about just 2" lift shackles in the back? I know a lot of XJ BB kits come with them but is the ride going to be miserable if I don't also get a shackle relocation kit?

I wish OME still made their 2" full replacement springs so my decision would be easy. I just can't seem to find 2" full spring packs anywhere.

What about the Crown replacement packs on Quadratec's website?

Help me!

#10 ·
You could go for the AALs and a shackle and get some really nice shocks to try and compensate the ride, but if it came down to it Id say just go for the RE 3.5 super ride. Throw some OME or Bilstein shocks on with it and call it good.

Glad to see you get into the XJ side of things man, its not as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

#12 ·
Thanks yall.

From what I am seeing I am thinking about going with some longer shackles + a shackle relocation kit (HD Offroad). Seems like it would give me lift, still ride smooth, and not cause premature leaf wear.

Further, since this is going towards the "Expedition" style build, I could easily replace a broken stock leaf spring anywhere in the country. Can't do that if I break the leaf packs on an aftermarket kit.

#13 ·
New headliner is in. Very very nice. Definitely taking my Waggy to that shop for interior work when the time comes. ****ty tweeters one of the PO's added to the rear are also gone (my request).

Pics of the headliner:

oh yeah...

#16 ·
Got my build sheet back from Chrysler...

Vehicle Description JEEP CHEROKEE SPORT 4X4 SPORT UTILITY 4-DR
Model Year 2000
Body Model XJ J H 74
Color PS5- Silverstone Metallic Clear Coat
ISD 07/21/2000
*M5 Prem Cloth Hi-Back Bucket Seats
-AZ Agate
AA4 Sport Value Group
ADAP Light Group
APAS Monotone Paint
AWHP Power Equipment Group
A20P 4.0L Engine(ERH)/4Sp Auto Trans(DGS
BASS 124 Amp Alternator
BCDS 500 Amp Maintenance Free Battery
BGAS Power Front Disc/Rear Drum Brakes
CADP High Back Bucket Seats
CBWS Highline Door Trim Panel
CDBS Reclining Front Seats
CFMS Rear Fold w/Removable Cushion Seat
CGGS Traveling Inboard Seat Belt Buckle
CGWS Next Generation Front Air Bags**
CKAS Carpets - Floor and Cargo Area
CKNS Cargo Compartment Carpet
CKTS Cargo Tie Down Loops
CKXS Plastic Liftgate Trim Panel
CLEP Front & Rear Floor Mats
CSAS Spare Tire Cover
CSC Cargo Compartment Cover
CSRS Passenger Assist Handles
CSSS Lift Gate Assist Handle
CUFS Full Length Floor Console
DGB All 4-Speed Automatic Transmissions
DGSS 4-Speed Automatic AW4 Transmission
DHAP Lock-Up Torque Converter
DHNS Command-Trac Part Time 4WD System
DHSP Floor Mount Automatic Shift Lever
DJKS Dana 30/181MM Front Axle
DMDP 3.55 Rear Axle Ratio
DRAS Corporate 8.25 Rear Axle
EAAC All Engines
ERH 4.0L I6 Power Tech Engine
GAL Deep Tint Sunscreen Glass
GBBS Tinted Windshield Glass
GCBS Front Door Tinted Glass
GEEP Deep Tint Sunscreen Liftgate Glass
GFAS Rear Window Defroster
GNAS Rear View Day/Night Mirror
GNCP Sun Visors w/Illum Vanity Mirrors
GTZP Power Mirrors, Fold-Away
GVBC All Vehicles W/Power Mirrors
GXMP Remote Keyless Entry
HAAP Air Conditioning
HGDS Deluxe Insulation Group
JAYS Instrument Cluster w/Tach
JBFS Instrument Panel Black Bezel
JCDS 100 MPH Primary Speedometer
JHAS Var Intermittent Windshield Wipers
JHBP Rear Window Wiper/Washer
JJBS Dual Note Electric Horns
JJJS 12V Auxiliary Power Outlet
JPAP Power Windows
JPBP Power Locks
KDPS RADIANT SILVER MET. C/C - BADGE - CH
KGPS RADIANT SILVER MET. C/C - BADGE - JE
KRPS RADIANT SILVER MET. C/C - BADGE - 4
KTPS RADIANT SILVER MET. C/C - JEEP
KVPS RADIANT SILVER MET. C/C - BADGE - SP
KYPP RADIANT SILVER MET. C/C - 4.0L
K2ZS BLACK - MOLDING - BODYSIDE
K3LS SILVERSTONE MET C/C - FENDER FLARES
LAJS Headlamps On Warning Chimes
LBBP Courtesy Lamps
LCDP Map/Dome Reading Lamps
LDAP Underhood Lamp
LDBP Cargo Compartment Lamp
LHDP Headlamp Off Time Delay
LMAS Halogen Headlamps
LNJ Fog Lamps
LPSS CHMSL Lamp
MBKS Black Front Bumper End Caps
MBLS Body Color Front Bumper
MBSS Black Rear Bumper End Caps
MBTS Body Color Rear Bumper
MCAS Front Bumper Guards
MDA Front License Plate Bracket
MFBS Body Color Headlamp Bezels
MFKS Body Color Grille
MHAS Black Windshield Moldings
MMCS Rear Qtr Solid Window Insert
MMGS Belt Moldings
MMKS Body Color Drip Trough Molding
MNAS Black Door Handles
MNNS Body Color License Plate Brow
MWGP Roof Rack
NAA Federal Emissions
NBKS EVAP Control System
NFAS 20 Gallon Fuel Tank
NHM Speed Control
PS5 Silverstone Metallic Clear Coat
QS5S Silverstone Metallic Clear Coat
RAAC All Radio Equipped Vehicles
RAZ AM/FM Cassette Compact Disc Radio
RCRP 4 Speakers
RDDS Fixed Long Mast Antenna
SBAS Power Steering
SCGP Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel
SDAS Normal Duty Suspension
SHAS Front Stabilizer Bar
SHCS Rear Stabilizer Bar
SUAP Tilt Steering Column
TBB Full Size Spare Tire
TBLS Inside Mounted Spare Tire
TRLS P225/75R15 Wrangler RT/S AT Tires
TZAP Goodyear Brand Tires
WJW 15X7.0 Aluminum "Ecco" Wheels
WKBP Matching Spare Wheel
WLZC All Aluminum Wheels
XCYS Upgraded OBD-II Connectors
XJFS Tethered Fuel Filler Cap
XPFS Protective Coating and Remover
YAAS Build To U.S. Mkt. Specifications

Looks like mine was a super-late-model 2000

#22 ·
And I also managed to find a single Ecco wheel on CL that I picked up tonight. Now I have a matching set of 5. It even came with a brand-new-in-2005-still-never-touched-pavement 225/75R15 Goodyear on it. So, for the next few days that I will still have baby tires I can at least rest assured that I have a matching spare :rofl:

#24 ·
If you need help with anything, give me a shout. Chances are I have the tools you need if you don't have them. I don't live too far from you. I work weekends and I am going back to school to get my BS in a few weeks...but I am sure I can break free to help for a few hours. PM me if you need help.

#28 ·
Lift is halfway done. Messed up with the order of the relocation bracket, exhaust hanger, and hitch so now I either have to cut the hitch, cut and remount the exhaust hanger, or just leave the hitch off.

Probably going with option number 2.

There's way too much **** sandwiched back there on xj's.

#30 ·

Holy hell that was a pain in the ***. I also mangled the exhaust hanger and the passenger nut strip is fubar so gonna have to replace that before I can reinstall my hitch.

Probably need to take it to an exhaust shop to get a custom hanger made and have them bend the tailpipe away from the shackle bolt too.

Otherwise, rides good. No vibes. Netted 2.5 inches total.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.