"Emerald" Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > "Emerald" Build

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 04-21-2015, 05:29 PM   #1
union414

2003 TJ Wrangler 

"Emerald" Build

Recently bought a 2003 Rubicon, 5 speed, with only 40,000 miles! At time of purchase "Emmy" had a Fabtech 4" Lift Kit. "Emmy" is a dark green color, like Rubi is red, enough with the word play! Fabtech shocks, control arms and springs are swag! I'm in the process of switching f/r trackbars to Metalcloak, and using Currie control arms all the way around. It currently has 33" KM2's on 15" rims. In the near future springs will be ordered. I'm leaning toward Currie, but an unclear on progressive spring advantages? Savvy springs come with good reviews. Should I go with 3" or 4"? Looking for experiences from Savvy and Currie spring owners. I'm at a fork in the road, which way would you head?

image-4091101656.jpg  
Unread 04-25-2015, 09:34 AM   #2
union414

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Just received a status update on Track bars from Metalcloak. They are at zinc coating company. Should be shipped by next Wednesday.
Unread 01-04-2016, 12:54 AM   #3
union414

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Today added the front Metalcloak Trackbar. Installation was not as described in their installation "How To", but I got through it. Wrench sizes needed and drill bit sizes were off, but some cross referencing for metric to sae saved the day on Google! I used a 17/32 instead of a 14mm drill bit for the axle side mount hole expansion, worked perfectly! Driver side tie rod end had to be removed to drill 5/8 hole in upper driver side track bar mount. Once tie rod end removed access to upper Trackbar mount barely gave me a straight shot to drill such a large hole in a super hard steel mount. Believe it or not broke the 5/8 drill bit and completed hole with rotary tool? Probably due to the 1950's drill motor I inherited, with one speed, too fast! The Metalcloak Trackbar is BEEF over stock. Instead of completing rear track bar, I moved to the Currie Antirock installation. The Antirock went smoother, with some help from YouTube. I broke a few nutserts holding on stock sway bar, but other than that smooth sailing! I must say Currie Enterprises makes high quality products. Impressive engineering well worth the investment.

After inspection of brakes and steering, It looks like a Currectlync and a Vanco brake kit are in my future. Does anyone have any alternate suggestions to Currectlync or Vanco setups?

All rusted surfaces were wire brushed with an angle grinder and sprayed with rust converter by Seymour Paints. This should increase longevity of frame and other parts. All bolts were assembled with Anti-Seize to make it easier the next time!

Tomorrow-rear upper and lower adjustable control arms from Savvy and Currie with a new Metalcloak rear Trackbar!
image-840462495.jpg   image-1442588292.jpg   image-1546775749.jpg   image-3965065411.jpg  
Unread 01-05-2016, 07:41 PM   #4
union414

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have the Savvy/Currie control arms ready to go! As well as the BFH, left over from Antirock install! Lol
image-399739800.jpg  
Unread 01-06-2016, 12:51 PM   #5
15JKU

Looks great! Love the color
15JKU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2016, 11:22 PM   #6
union414

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by union414
I have the Savvy/Currie control arms ready to go! As well as the BFH, left over from Antirock install! Lol
I finished up the front, minus the Currie Johnny Joint front axle conversion. Hopefully weld on the axle Saturday. Took Emerald for a test drive. Wow, what a difference! Impressed with Savvy/Currie control arms! Hopefully tomorrow I can finish back axle arms and track bar. PO's Fabtech Kit is no where near the quality. I need to find some 35" KO's for the beadlocks and put Emerald to the test. I'm not sure, but I think the PO installed a drop pitman arm, gotta measure and do some research on that one? It looks like I'll have to invest in a puller before I change that?
Unread 01-08-2016, 09:28 PM   #7
union414

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Rear control arms going on now!
image-3329370763.jpg

Unread 01-10-2016, 04:52 AM   #8
union414

2003 TJ Wrangler 

All 8 Savvy/Currie control arms on with MetalCloak front and rear Trackbars installed with 4" lift springs, no body lift! Bilstein 5100's on all four corners, with a Currie Antirock to tighten things up in the corners on and off road. 15" BF Goodrich KM2's in the 33x12.5 variety rolling @ 28 LBS. Stock upper control arms popped like rubber bands during removal due to binding. Stock rear Trackbar was bound up as well. Prior to new parts, Emerald road like a buckboard on a wagon, now her suspension cycles like a Baja buggy! One thing that surprised me most was the smoothness in 4 low. Prior to upgrade Emerald creeked and groaned in 4 low like a rusted CJ with worn out bushings. Contrary to popular belief, her road manners are far superior with Antirock and MetalCloak Trackbars versus stock sway bar with disconnects and stock relocated trackbars. I'm sure a Currectlync steering setup will tighten steering up even more. During changes I discovered rear sway bar ends need bushings. I have weld on Currie front axle Johnny joint kit to convert front axle bushings to joints, but for now opted to not install. All in all wouldn't change a thing so far. Thanks to all members of the Forum for the plethora of information to make a garage mechanic's job simple with a little research! I was in the market for a trailer to transport Emerald over the 100 mile mark to wheel, but these upgrades brought back better than stock road manners. You guys out west have engineered some great aftermarket upgrades that anyone with some common sense can install with some help from this forum. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.