EgulAye's 1980 CJ5 - Back from the dead, another Jeep lives. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > EgulAye's 1980 CJ5 - Back from the dead, another Jeep lives.

Halloween Savings to die for!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 03-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
EgulAye

1980 CJ5 

EgulAye's 1980 CJ5 - Back from the dead, another Jeep lives.

I've had the Jeep for 17 days now. When I got it the thing had been sitting for eight years out back in some woods. It had been tinkered with a bit a long while ago (six years or so) to determine if she was salvageable and they decided to leave it for dead.

Here is a quick breakdown of the first couple weeks, just to get it running again:
3/9 - dragged the Jeep out of the snow.
3/10 - borrowed a trailer to go pick up the Jeep and get it home.

3/11 - empty all the miscellaneous stuff out of the Jeep and scrub / wash inside and out, change engine oil & filter, air filter, fill coolant, steal the boat battery (short term loan). No start.
3/12-15 - find a wiring diagram online and start re-creating it in CAD, comparing my wire colors with diagram and taking notes.
3/16 - change the fuel pump, fiddle with radiator hoses. No start.
3/17 - change the water pump, only to find out that the pump shaft is the wrong length.
3/18 - crawl around in the JeepForum.com site looking for a solution to the water pump. Remove carburetor and scrub the outside. Partial diss-assembly.
3/19 - more carb parts cleaning. 1979 water pump is in at parts store, pick up and install - nice fit.
3/20 - found a source for idle air screws to replace broken / stuck screws in throttle plate, successfully removed old idle air screws from throttle plate.
3/23 - replacement idle air screws arrived in the mail, assemble carburetor and make bench adjustments. Install on Jeep. Start! (also contend with a fuel leak in the return line - quick fix for the moment)
3/24 - tool around in the back yard with the Jeep again, discovered that fuel is leaking onto exhaust from another location in the return line.
3/25 - assess and tally: less than $100 to get it to start and drive around. List of parts and issues that need to be addressed - way too long.
3/26 - Measured how much 1/4" steel line I'll need to buy so that I can replace the return fuel line from the engine back to the gas tank.

Last edited by EgulAye; 05-15-2013 at 09:30 PM.. Reason: Added photos.
EgulAye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2013, 07:01 PM   #2
EgulAye

1980 CJ5 

Edit - Add Carburetor Rebuild photos:

Wide shot of workbench and the space I cleared for rebuilding the carburetor.

New idle air screws installed.

End Edit:
================================================== ========================================
3/27 - picked up the new poly coated steel lines, some rubber fuel line, and hose clamps to re-route the return fuel line.

I also put a white board up in the garage to have an easy and obvious list of sub-tasks to work on. Some projects take all day and you just pick up where you left off, but other things could be done and removed quickly if you remember they are on the list. The white board will let me list the jobs out by category too, quick and easy jobs, dirty jobs, pre-work like measuring things to make a fab drawing, on and on. I'm hoping this cuts down on the wasted time.
Unread 03-30-2013, 11:35 AM   #3
EgulAye

1980 CJ5 

3/29 - got the Jeep up on blocks. Pulled the gas tank so I could weld a small patch above the right rear shackle. While photographing for reference photos I spotted a big hole in the frame on the driver's side. The hole starts above the front shackle and goes to the transmission support cross member. Near to three feet long. At the worst point the hole is big enough to put both my hands in, edge to edge. I get to thinking I could patch it so I have another look. No way, this frame is done. I'll start looking for a frame now, already see one in CraigsList for $500... 1980-1983, w/ the AMC rear end and same body size / transmission as what I have here. Slightly older would be okay too, I think.

Do you give the Jeep wave at night when they can't see you?
Unread 03-30-2013, 11:37 AM   #4
EgulAye

1980 CJ5 

3/30 - switching my focus back to the 1990 Suburban that I am also fixing up. I'll be back when progress starts to happen on the Jeep again.

Unread 03-31-2013, 06:42 AM   #5
EgulAye

1980 CJ5 

Here is one photo of the frame, from my 2/29 inspection date...

If the perspective is difficult, that hole in the frame is large enough to put both of my hands into, edge to edge. The soft part continues along the bottom of the frame for several feet. When I press my thumb against the inside edge of the frame it flexes. I'm really surprised the whole thing didn't fold on me when I spun around the back yard with it.
Unread 04-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #6
EgulAye

1980 CJ5 

The end.

It's officially the end of the Green Jeep. On 4/6 I purchased a second 1980 CJ5. That Jeep is in considerably better shape. This weekend (4/13) I will be acquiring a Jeep Cherokee for parts as well. Between the three I'll end up with three straight six engines, a 3-speed transmission, a 4-speed transmission, two D300 transfer cases, two sets of stock axles, and three gas tanks. There will also be two dashes with gauges, knobs, and other parts. One straight steering column, one tilt column, possibly the Dana 30 and Dana 35 axles from the Cherokee, two sets of rims, side panel armor from the Green Jeep, two roll bars (which will become one modified roll bar), the entire front clip and hood from the Green Jeep as an extra set, two front bumpers... The list goes on and on.

I need to find a place to store all these parts. Big stuff like axles outside? Engines inside? The honest truth is I don't want two parts vehicles, nor even one, hanging around in the yard forever. So, I've got to take the Green Jeep apart and save the good pieces.

I may mention in other threads when I've used a Green Jeep part, but shortly the Green Jeep will not exist as a complete vehicle.

Unread 05-13-2013, 06:14 PM   #7
EgulAye

1980 CJ5 

It's been over a month since my last post. Once I decided to stop restoring the green jeep I didn't start a new thread as planned. I did, however, keep a log book. I think it makes the most sense to keep going with this thread rather than starting a new one, so here it goes:

Last edited by EgulAye; 05-13-2013 at 06:16 PM.. Reason: typographical correction
Unread 05-13-2013, 06:33 PM   #8
EgulAye

1980 CJ5 

2013/04/03

Today I found an advertisement on Craig's List for a 1980 CJ5 in Boothbay (about an hour's drive from here). The guy is asking $1,500 firm for it. Photos show pop riveted panels down both sides, but otherwise everything looks good.

I plan to drive out on Saturday to check it out. I'll be there with a trailer and cash in hand.

Here's a few photos from the Craig's List ad:

The seller also mentioned in his email response that the turn signal switch is broken and that he noticed there are a few bad spots on the floor starting.

Unread 05-13-2013, 07:18 PM   #9
EgulAye

1980 CJ5 

2013/04/06

Alright, I drove out to Boothbay today with my brother, his son, and my two sons. The boys were just along for the ride and some "just the boys on a road trip" time.

I borrowed my wife's Excursion and a Downeaster trailer from a cousin. We made great time and arrived a bit early ~45 minutes or so.

The Jeep looks pretty good. The turn signal wiring has obviously been hacked, though the toggle switch bypass does work. The transmission is a three speed, not the four speed that should be in it (according to the VIN). Also, it seems to have a one barrel carburetor, even though that wasn't an option for a 1980 CJ5. The body and floor look pretty good actually. I was anticipating a disaster after the owner's comment. The front passenger seat is totally broken, it's more like a stool. Don't lean back, whatever you do.

The Jeep only has lap belts, runs a tad rough (or is it because I haven't driven a stick since the second car I ever owned 15 years ago?). The radio doesn't work, and there aren't any speakers hooked up. But the soft top is in pretty good shape, the Jeep runs, I drove it up the hill and back. Definitely something I can work with.

I crawled around underneath it, looking at the frame and the underside of the tub. Very little rust to be found. This thing has lots of paint on it. I can't tell how many times it's been re-painted.

So I gave the guy the cash he was looking for, and he printed out a bill of sale. I drove the Jeep up onto the trailer and we brought it home.

I can't seem to find any of the photos when it was on the trailer (did I take any?). So here are a few from later in the day after I started working on it.

Top off

From the side

On this first day we pretty much spent the whole morning going to get the Jeep and unloading it at home. Then we worked on if for an hour or two until it was time to bring my brother home and return the trailer. I got back mid-afternoon some time and kept working on it.

I managed to replace the front passenger seat with the one from the green Jeep. The replacement seat isn't pretty either, but at least it is still upright and doesn't flop around like a beanbag.

I fixed the headlights so that they actually worked, and swapped the speedometer cable from the part jeep. The cable had been laying against the exhaust and had melted and come completely apart.

The last thing I did was put some stickers on her:
Stickered

Unread 05-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #10
EgulAye

1980 CJ5 

2013/04/07

Day two:

Today I traced the wiring for the backup lights and discovered that the plug wasn't connected to the transmission. Easy, I'll just take the jumper out of the connector and plug that in. I spent some time really tracing the wiring out. Turns out the PO (or one of them) had stripped back the insulation in the harness and twisted the two wires together, then taped it back up. I guess the jumper in the connector wasn't good enough. So I separated the wires and taped them up. Now the backup lights work perfectly. I don't get it, the reverse switch in the transmission works perfectly, the wiring is all good except for the PO hack, and there is no reason for any of it.

Yesterday I changed out the turn signal switch in the steering column and then put it all back together. However, the turn signals still don't work. It just keeps blowing the fuse. So today, after my success with the back up lights, I started tracing the wiring out for the turn signals. I ended up with the dash removed and wires hanging all over the place, but I eventually isolated the issue to a short section of wiring between the fuse box and the steering column connector. Everything else in the Jeep checked out. As I'm tracing the wiring from the fuse box to the column I get to one connector that I can't remove. There is a short pigtail that goes up near the top of the column and it's stuck there. Upon further inspection I see that it isn't connected to anything, but the wires are pinched in the steering column support bracket! So I loosen the retaining bolts and extricate the wiring. Sure enough, the wires are squashed flat with copper showing. This pig-tail in the harness doesn't seem to go anywhere but it is the same circuit that provides power for the turn signals. There must be an option that my Jeep doesn't have. So I taped the wires and re-tightened the steering column. Now the turn signals work fine.

I discovered while changing the turn signal switch in the column that the horn switch in the steering wheel is buggered. I couldn't get it to work. I may find a replacement in the future, but on close inspection I see that my parts Jeep had the horn bypassed to a momentary push-button. I stole the switch from the parts Jeep and put in. My horn works, as evidenced by hooking a jumper wire from the battery, so this was a pretty simple work-around. Here's a few photos of the fuse block and the firewall connector:

I also hooked up some AUX power for a cigarette lighter (cell phone charger etc.) and a toggle switch for the heater blower. There are numerous other things that I managed to do over the weekend, like tighten down the hood prop rod, make a bracket for the soft top that was missing on the windshield, temporarily patch a rusty crack in the floor under the passenger seat, etc. I'll have to do some much more serious patch work on the floor when I replace the seats with new ones.

I think the Jeep is ready to go. I called my insurance company on Friday (before I'd actually bought the Jeep) and had them add it to the policy, so now all I need is a registration!

It's been a long and mostly sleepless weekend... I LOVE IT

Unread 05-14-2013, 05:15 AM   #11
EgulAye

1980 CJ5 

2013/04/08

This morning I went over to the town office and registered the Jeep. I got the antique plates, which lets me avoid the inspection sticker process. I don't know how much I'm going to use the Jeep yet, so it should fall under the "occasional personal use" stipulation nicely.

It took a while to put the new plates on the Jeep, the PO had used security screws to affix the old plates and I don't have any of those bits. The trusty vise grips work well in this instance.

I drove in to work with no issues. FUN FUN FUN !!!

A co-worker of mine has a '79 Jeep Cherokee, Golden Eagle edition that he has been restoring, as well as a car that he plans to race and a '92 Jeep Cherokee that is in the midst of some major body work. He's decided that there are too many projects and it's time to quit on some of them. So, he is going to get rid of the 92 Cherokee, and has been telling me how great the 4.0L HO engine would be in my CJ5. The 4.0L has MPFI (multi port fuel injection) and is a model year that uses the OBDI ECM. I spent a little time looking at the head swap thread that Cevans87 has written and I suspect I'd like to attempt such a swap in the future. Also, I'm on the lookout for replacement bucket seats for the CJ5 as well as a set of shoulder belts that I can install in place of the lap belts. I really don't want to eat the steering wheel or windshield in a collision.

On the way home from work I stopped by his place to look at the Jeep. He is asking $200 for it, I just need to take it soon or he'll be having it hauled to the junk yard.

She ain't pretty

Comfy seats

Air conditioning, OBA conversion?

Seat belts, four sets plus a lap belt

SOLD!

I told him I'd take it and would figure out a way to be there Saturday to pick it up. My wife is going to love this...

Oh, by the way, I seem to be leaking a lot of oil. Lots and lots.

Unread 05-14-2013, 07:19 AM   #12
EgulAye

1980 CJ5 

2013/04/09

I think it's great that parts stores are putting their store fronts into web sites. Now I can go to NAPA or Advance Auto and search for the parts I want, figure out the part numbers ahead of time, even order them before going to the store. If it's after hours then I can still order the parts and they'll show up.

I picked up a 5/32" cork valve cover gasket today and installed it. I used ultra blue RTV on both sides of the gasket (extra thin coatings, just to make the gasket look "wet"). The old gasket was dry and crusty, the bolts were barely finger tight, or not even that snug.
Close up of the valve cover.

A couple valve train shots.

At the same time as the valve cover gasket I decided to replace the rubber fuel hose that was laying on the valve cover with a steel poly coated line and a new filter. At this time the return fuel line is closed off (probably sprung a leak and was bypassed). I also swapped for the new fuel filter that I had installed previously on the green Jeep. Just to be clear, I only replaced fuel line from the fuel pump up to the carburetor, nothing from the tank to the pump has been touched yet.

Pic of old fuel lines, just laying on the valve cover

New fuel line.

New fuel line, from a more recent photo (other changes present that I haven't discussed yet)

So far so good.

Last edited by EgulAye; 05-15-2013 at 09:37 PM.. Reason: Added photos.
Unread 05-14-2013, 09:03 AM   #13
EgulAye

1980 CJ5 

2013/04/10

I drove the Jeep to work today, in the rain. The wiper arm on the passenger side is bent or tweaked, seems like it might fold right up. Fuel was dripping from the pump a tiny amount (tightening it stopped the leak). Oil is still coming from somewhere... Seems like the distributor. I ordered a distributor mounting gasket from NAPA, which arrived later this afternoon. I picked it up on my way home.

The oil appears to be primarily around the distributor, the side of the block behind it, over the starter, and everything below and behind that. The valve cover appears dry and not leaking.

Unread 05-14-2013, 10:05 AM   #14
EgulAye

1980 CJ5 

2013/04/11

I removed the distributor this morning so that I could replace the gasket. I was careful to mark the current location of the distributor (dizzy) first. When I got it out I noticed that there is no gasket here to replace, nothing.

I installed the new gasket (no RTV here) and clamped the dizzy down in the same location.

Oh look, POSSUM!

After driving to work I've only managed to determine that oil is still leaking out from somewhere, and still a lot of it.

Unread 05-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #15
EgulAye

1980 CJ5 

2013/04/12

I talked with Jeep Forum user CEVANS87 today. I had a few questions about using the 4.0L HO head in my CJ5. Since his write-up is for a bit newer Jeep there are a few topics that aren't hit on as well in the build thread.

It turns out the motor in my new black CJ5 isn't a 258, it's a 232 from 1978. I'm guessing that the three speed transmission probably got put in at the same time as the 232. It explains a few things anyway.

At least my parts Jeep really does have a 258 in it, though that one is from 1978 also... (Which explains the older model water pump I needed to use back when I replaced it).

A good place to look up the info is here: www.scribd.com/doc/7131539/AMC-Engine-Codes By Frank Swygert.

Thanks for all the help Corey!

Last edited by EgulAye; 10-09-2013 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: Added links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.