Edelbrock 1803 vs Holley 4160 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Edelbrock 1803 vs Holley 4160

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-02-2013, 08:58 AM   #1
ctdyess
1979 CJ7 

Edelbrock 1803 vs Holley 4160

Hello Everyone!

First, let me say "thanks" to everyone on this forum - I have NEVER done any mechanical work prior to finding this forum and have saved literally thousands of dollars doing it myself from all of the help you folks provide. I am still learning....

Now to my issue - I have a '79 CJ7 Renegade with a 304 - PO says was ""beefed up", but not certain what all that entails. Edelbrock Performer intake and had a VERY old and slightly grumpy Edelbrock 600cfm carb. Instead of a rebuild, I spoke to Edelbrock about a new carb - they recommended the 1803 - 500cfm. Have had on for a couple of months and it has great low end torque now, but a strange hesitation when letting off and stepping on the throttle, and pushing to the floor results in a bad stumble.

Called Edelbrock and they recommended that I buy a step up spring kit and possible a different plunger (I have tried the different throttle body settings to no avail). So now I'm thinking I bought the wrong carb...the place I bought the carb recommended the Holley 4160 as a replacement and will take the Edelbrock back. I jumped online to check experiences with the Holley and have found very few poor ones.

So my question is, have any of you any experience between the two? Can you recommend the Holley over the Edelbrock? Please keep in mind that even though I think in my head that I am a master Jeep mechanic, I'm really not....

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Unread 07-03-2013, 05:03 PM   #2
tomkise

Hello ctdyess,
Please supply a little information and I will help you select the proper Holley carburetor for your application, Will this be street or off road? What gear and tire diameter do you have? what is the min / Max RPM range? Is it automatic or manual? Are you looking for low to mid or mid to upper rpm response or torque?

Tom Kise
Holley Tech Service.
tomkise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 11:18 PM   #3
ctdyess
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkise
Hello ctdyess,
Please supply a little information and I will help you select the proper Holley carburetor for your application, Will this be street or off road? What gear and tire diameter do you have? what is the min / Max RPM range? Is it automatic or manual? Are you looking for low to mid or mid to upper rpm response or torque?

Tom Kise
Holley Tech Service.
hi Tom -

Thanks for your response.

Mostly street, but some off-road. don't know the gear, but I have 33s on at the moment and will probably up to 35s in the next 6 months. 1000 - 4500 RPMs with a 3 speed. I am probably looking for mid to upper RPM range since I'm mostly street....
Unread 07-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #4
ctdyess
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdyess

hi Tom -

Thanks for your response.

Mostly street, but some off-road. don't know the gear, but I have 33s on at the moment and will probably up to 35s in the next 6 months. 1000 - 4500 RPMs with a 3 speed. I am probably looking for mid to upper RPM range since I'm mostly street....
***UPDATE***
No need to respond further to this thread any longer.

Thanks.
Unread 07-08-2013, 07:29 AM   #5
tomkise

The ideal Hoolley carburetor for this application well suited for street use would be a 0-8007 or a 0-83570. Holley also offers off road specific carburetors ideally suited for off camber high load low rpm rock crawling application but they are not well suited for a street application. For a dual purpose street/ off road rig a TBI injection system would be ideal it will work great on the street and it will also work flawlessly on rough and off camber terrain.

Sincerely ,
Thomas R. Kise
Holley Tech Service
1-270-781-9741
tomkise@holley.com
tomkise is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.