Dusty's 05 LJ build. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Dusty's 05 LJ build.

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsEngo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 Lum

Unread 02-24-2014, 06:05 AM   #1
dadkinsemt

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Dusty's 05 LJ build.

Well here it goes, build thread. If you are hoping to see an LJ on 6 inch lift and 40s with 1 ton axels and fully built rock buggy, I'll spare your time, not happening. This is a mild build for the wheeling I do, and want to do.

Background, I have owned 4 jeeps prior to this one, XJ, ZJ,TJ, and WJ. I usually do a small lift and maybe a bumper and winch. I had plans to build my TJ into a good trail jeep, but it had a very sudden and sad ending.

Car ran a stop sign while I was doing about 55mph. Frame was damaged and not worth repairing. That led to getting my WJ. Nice jeep, might have gone further with it but started to have engine issues and found a great deal on my project jeep.

The vehicle, 05 wrangler unlimited rubicon.

The day I brought it home.

Goal, I'm looking to make this a trail, camping, and hunting jeep. Trails are moderate and difficult. I'm looking to try new trails this summer. Really want to make the trip to southern Colorado near telluride and ouray. So I'm looking to run 33s for now with belly up. I may try 35s in the future but going to try 33s. I'm going with short arm lift and going to keep my Dana 44s for now.

Mods so far:
-Armor
eAutogrilles rear bumper and tire carrier
ARB stubby bumper in front
Smittybuilt XRC 8 winch
Teraflex Belly up

-Suspension
Zone 3 inch lift
1inch spacers
Rubicon express track bar
Rubicon express sway bar disconnects
Rubicon express lower front control arms
Rock crawler upper and lower rear control arms
extended brake lines

-35 inch Goodyear MT/R's
-KC windshield lights
-Uniden CB radio with firestick antenna

Future mods:
Rework steering
Upgraded axel shafts
bed liner
storage box

05 LJ rubicon
14 JKU, wife's
Mile Hi jeep club, Patrol 9

MY BUILD
dadkinsemt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2014, 06:18 AM   #2
michigan37

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Good looking LJ. Definitely subscribed to this thread. Very similar to how I'm building mine.
michigan37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2014, 06:42 PM   #3
dadkinsemt

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks Michigan37, I have seen your jeep around on these forums and looked at it more than once. A very nice looking LJ as well.

My frist write up will be on the eAutogrilles rear bumper INSTALL. This is the HD rock crawler bumper. Looks exactly like the Smittybuilt XRC rear bumper/tire carrier. Pros on this bumper are its price. Can not find another bumper/ tire carrier combo for the price. Build quality looks to be good and welds look very nice.

Cons on this bumper are in the hardware that comes with it. The hardware does not seem to be stainless steel and I have seen many posts with the bolts being rusted within a few months. The hardware also is improper length in some areas.

In this case the bolt is not long enough to make it through the lock nut. It has not come loose yet but only had it on for about a week and I have not driven on a bumpy road for an extended period of time. I will be replacing all of the hardware with high quality steel and proper length. $20-30 in parts.

While i didn't have any problems with the shipping of my bumper, lots of people have complained of damage to the bumper and mainly the tabs that attach to the frame. As I said mine didn't have any of these problems.

Last Con was that in the images shown for the bumper, it has a grease zerk on the hinge. Mine did not come with that. The tire carrier simply slips over the joint. I put a pretty thick grease on there and that has kept it quiet. Wouldn't recommend WD-40 because I don't think it would last very long.

So with that in mind, I am still happy with the bumper. Nobody comes close to a bumper like this for the price. Even with having to upgrade all the hardware, still a better price by a large amount. I think I paid about $500 shipped to my door. After I replace all the hardware and with my jimmy rigged 3rd brake light, I am about $550.

I will do a fallow up on this as time goes on. As of now I am happy with it.

05 LJ rubicon
14 JKU, wife's

MY BUILD
Unread 03-07-2014, 11:26 PM   #4
dadkinsemt

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Well belly up is here now, just waiting for a few more things before the install.

But did take the jeep out for a little adventure last weekend. Went on a little winter camping trip. Got a little snow and lots of mud. Just couldn't wait until summer.

05 LJ rubicon
14 JKU, wife's

MY BUILD
Unread 03-14-2014, 10:01 AM   #5
TDTJ1297
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Hey I have a question regarding the rear bumper. I just got the tire carrier piece delivered and not the bumper itself. FedEx said it's on it's way but when yours arrived was the bracket that holds the tire with the bumper package or in the package with the tire swing out. I'm nervous they forgot it
TDTJ1297 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2014, 08:42 AM   #6
dadkinsemt

2005 LJ Wrangler 

It came as 2 pieces as well but arrived at the same time. As far as the bracket, are you talking about the hinge that the tire carrier sits on? That comes on the bumper itself. Not in the tire carrier package.

05 LJ rubicon
14 JKU, wife's

MY BUILD
Unread 03-15-2014, 09:43 AM   #7
TDTJ1297
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadkinsemt View Post
It came as 2 pieces as well but arrived at the same time. As far as the bracket, are you talking about the hinge that the tire carrier sits on? That comes on the bumper itself. Not in the tire carrier package.
Yeah thats what i was referring to. Thanks for the reply.
TDTJ1297 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2014, 12:25 PM   #8
dadkinsemt

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDTJ1297 View Post
Yeah thats what i was referring to. Thanks for the reply.
No worries. Hope it gets there.

05 LJ rubicon
14 JKU, wife's

MY BUILD
Unread 03-29-2014, 08:33 PM   #9
dadkinsemt

2005 LJ Wrangler 

A little update. This week I am doing a check to make sure the jeep is ready for a lift and bigger tires. While checking the axels noticed I had a leak on the rear axel. So pulled it and replaced seals and bearings. Serviced the diff, going to do front diff next weekend.

Getting closer every week.

05 LJ rubicon
14 JKU, wife's

MY BUILD
Unread 06-13-2014, 11:56 AM   #10
dadkinsemt

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Playing the waiting game. Ordered tires and they are on nation wide back order. Also final few parts are in the mail, so should get the lift and belly up on in the next few weeks. Just gonna have to run my little tires until the new ones arrive.

05 LJ rubicon
14 JKU, wife's

MY BUILD
Unread 06-13-2014, 12:04 PM   #11
Mulvihill64

2002 TJ Wrangler 

What tires did you go with?
Unread 06-14-2014, 01:48 PM   #12
dadkinsemt

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Ended up doing the Goodyear wrangler MT/R. In a 35x12.5. At $200 a tire it was kinda hard to pass up. Just have to wait.

05 LJ rubicon
14 JKU, wife's

MY BUILD
Unread 06-14-2014, 08:55 PM   #13
Mulvihill64

2002 TJ Wrangler 

You had me scared for a minute... I'll be ordering the MTR's in the 33x12.50 flavor next week, I was concerned that I would have to wait. Can't wait to see the jeep with the 35's though
Unread 06-14-2014, 10:44 PM   #14
dadkinsemt

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Well you may have to wait. I think they said those are on back order as well. Not 100%, but they might be. Where are you looking at buying from?

05 LJ rubicon
14 JKU, wife's

MY BUILD
Unread 06-14-2014, 11:12 PM   #15
Mulvihill64

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadkinsemt
Well you may have to wait. I think they said those are on back order as well. Not 100%, but they might be. Where are you looking at buying from?
Whoever I can find with them in stock

Tags
35's , belly up , colorado , lj , rubicon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.