DTOM's "Dirt Rod" YJ build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > DTOM's "Dirt Rod" YJ build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 07-19-2014, 06:19 PM   #1
DTOMLOD
1992 YJ Wrangler 

DTOM's "Dirt Rod" YJ build

So about a month ago I started a thread about my YJ. Here is a quote from that thread: I bought my jeep 3 years ago. I was told it had a 6 inch lift, which seemed to make sense with the 35 inch tires. I never gave it much thought (I am only a light off roader and mostly like the way it looks sue me) until I hit a guard rail during a snow storm. The leaf spring was bent, the shock tube was bent. I assumed I needed to buy a replacement leaf spring (or all 4) with 6 inches of lift, but recent research and observations from others have left me confused about what lift is actually on the jeep. It doesnt have a body lift, but i dont know what combination of springs/ shackles are present. I originally thought only 6 inch lift could fit 35s but have since read otherwise. My tires do fill the wheel wells pretty good, and have been known to rub with tight turning/high weight/decent flexing. I know this is alot, i have pictures as well and could really use some advice.

Since this first post, I have completely fixed those issues and several others I found along the way. I have decided to make a build thread to show off this hard work, get advice and tips, and to narrate future modifications. Comments and advice are encouraged, as you can see before this project I was a noob and still have a long way to go!

The first picture is the jeep before the accident. The next are pictures of the damage. More pictures and write ups to follow.

img_1135.jpg

img_1259.jpg

img_1260.jpg

Unread Yesterday, 05:35 PM   #2
DTOMLOD
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The first obstacle was trying to figure out what suspension was on the jeep, I wanted to replace everything the same way so that my 35s would still fit, and the jeep would generally be the same. After much research and thanks to the experts here on Jeep Forum, I discovered that my jeep probably had 4 inch leaf springs and the rest of the lift was from lift shackles, which I had never heard of. With this new realization I was ready to move on and start researching lift kits for the replacement. There was much deliberation and one day I noticed that my drivers side rear shock hangers had broken completely off from rust and the force of the impact. I got so upset that day that there was even more to fix on the jeep that I decided to sell it. But that didnt last long.... I finally came to my senses (after alot more research) and re-decided to fix the jeep, including new springs, shocks, and welding new shock hangers on both sides, since I figured the passengers side wouldnt be far from breaking either. So back to ordering parts... I decided to go with the Rubicon Express 4.5" Extreme Duty lift kit, after reading many bad things about others sagging, breaking etc... The kit was roughly $1200 from Quadratec with free shipping. I also ordered the new shock hangers, from Qtec, and the parts arrived in no time.

So work began on installing the lift. I started on the front of the jeep first, per the included instructions. It went relatively without incident, besides having a bit of trouble getting some of the old bolts and bushings out, nothing a punch, some elbow grease, and some assistance from a hammer couldnt knock out. While I had the leafs off, I wire wheeled the entire axle and front frame area and repainted it using Rustoleum stops rust primer and paint. Flat black of course. About the time I got to installing the shocks I realized I had made quite the blunder. Somehow I managed to order a lift kit that didnt include shocks, which I thought it did. After much kicking myself, and even more research I decided on Bilstein 5100 series shocks. Got them ordered and decided to begin the rear....

This pic is the front after all the work was done.
img_1509.jpg

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.