Dirts 98 XJ Build Thread - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Dirts 98 XJ Build Thread

The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Check out our NEW Steering Stuff!

Unread 07-31-2011, 10:50 PM   #31
Dirt22

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I replaced the RC "X-Flex" joints with a set of Currie Johnny Joints. Man, this thing rides like a caddy!
Well worth the $200. Wish RC would have just sold their lift kit with these joints from the get-go. would have saved a lot of time and busted knuckles.

The 8.8 is paid for, Gatta take a minute to figure out what gear ratio I have in it now to see if I need a new carrier to go with the 4:88 gears that are going in it.

For now I plan to install the 8.8 and gear the front to match. just leave the stock shafts in it. Without a locker in the front, I don't think there's much need for alloy shafts yet. I'll get 'em eventually, but for now, just gearing will do.

Dirt22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2011, 10:13 PM   #32
Dirt22

1998 TJ Wrangler 

8.8 is almost done, Come to find out, the YJ it came out of was a spring under, so I had to cut off the spring seats and weld new ones on. (pain in the ace) and I also cut the shock mounts off and welded them on the new axle.

Man, getting all them mounts lined up, spaced just right, clocked just right so the pinion nagle is correct, angle on the shocks is right,... what a pain! I got the rear axle within a 16th of an inch side to side... good enough for the girls I date!

Front axle is done, geared to 4:88 to match the rear. gatta put the rear back in, bolt everything down and run brake lines, and I think it's good.

8.8 with the turd-ee in the back ground.

Unread 08-25-2011, 05:29 AM   #33
JJeeper09
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Very nice Dirt!
Unread 08-30-2011, 09:39 PM   #34
Chris4mx
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Looks great. Love the rock sliders.
Chris4mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2011, 10:25 AM   #35
Dirt22

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Updates!

Ran a couple trails in Big Bear last weekend, Holcomb Creek and John Bull trail.

These trails were just right for the XJ (we've started calling it "The Station Wagon")

Detroit in the 8.8 worked awesome, was very nice to not have to throw switches and have the locker in the rear just do it's thing. Still, with the longer wheelbase, the body that I would like to keep nice, and the open front, I actually had to 'THINK' while driving. - My TJ is point and shoot on these trails.

Holcomb Creek:

John Bull:

Then,.. Another tie rod bites the dust!

This is the 3rd tie rod that I've bent, so I know the drill... 15 mins and a hi-lift jack handle later, and we're back on the trail. Even drove it home like this.

Gave the credit card a work out... Hello Currie!

Overall I'm very happy with how she ran the trails. No straps or winches, had to stack a couple rocks once, but she handled it well. I'm confident that the Station Wagon can handle trails rated 3, and that because the Detroit makes it so simple, My wife can wheel it without problems - ( she says there's too many buttons and levers in the TJ... ARBs f/r and twin sticks. haha)

I also got a set of the quadratec floormats. Very nice.
Unread 09-10-2011, 04:19 PM   #36
DezertTJ
Lost

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Very nice! My dad and I just ran gold mountain, Deep creek, and holcomb creek a couple weeks ago
Unread 09-13-2011, 09:51 PM   #37
Dirt22

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ordered 4" bump stops for the front end and a set of OE bushings for where the upper control arms mount to the axle.

I also gotta fix my sloppy track bar mount.

For those of you who don't know, after a while on these older jeeps, the bolt hole for the track bar (on the passenger side) can get wallowed out. What you do to fix this is remove the 8mm bolt, drill a 7/16ths hole and use a grade 8 7/16 bolt and washer... and if ya can, weld the washer to the mount.

I'll try to get pics when I do this.
Unread 09-16-2011, 05:01 PM   #38
Dirt22

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Pretty productive day today, I fixed the trackbar by drilling out hte 8mm hole and useing a grade 8 7/16 bolt. Monday I'll weld the washer to the mounting bracket to make it secure. - I suck for not taking pictures, sorry.

I also popped in a new speedo gear, gonna borrow the wifes GPS out of her truck to check it. Then I changed the diff oil front and rear.

I was gonna change out hte axle bushings for the upper control arms, but had a nap attack and that was the end of that.
Unread 09-29-2011, 10:55 PM   #39
Dirt22

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Camped/Wheeled Big Bear last weekend. I had my wife drive Holcomb Creek. Her and the "Station Wagon" did great!

I'm pretty stoked on the whole Cherokee deal, I built it with spacific goals in mind, One was a DD for me (which it does just fine) But I also wanted something my wife could wheel and be comfortable in, could do lvl 3 trails (33" tires and rear locker required) without too much effort.

I think the biggest thing is the detroit locker. She doesn't have to worry about when the right time to lock up is, it does it all by itself. That, and the hard roof, AC and roll up windows, she can still be a chick when she's on the trail.

Mrs. Dirt

My father in his Cherokee in the background

Unread 09-29-2011, 11:00 PM   #40
Jeremylerv
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Can i get some specs on that front bumper, i like it a lot and i want to know more. Thanks!
(o)_)____(o)_)--o)_)
Jeremylerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 11:45 PM   #41
Dirt22

1998 TJ Wrangler 

It's nothing special, 2x4 120 wall capped and tappered ends. I made the stinger and just welded it on.
Unread 09-30-2011, 08:31 AM   #42
Jeremylerv
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt22 View Post
It's nothing special, 2x4 120 wall capped and tappered ends. I made the stinger and just welded it on.
What was the cost of material whenit was all done?
(o)_)____(o)_)--o)_)
Jeremylerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 03:34 PM   #43
Dirt22

1998 TJ Wrangler 

maybe $100... I had most of it laying around.
Unread 10-12-2011, 08:46 PM   #44
Dirt22

1998 TJ Wrangler 

We took the TJ to the Victor Valley 4 Wheelers event in Johnson Valley this past weekend, ran some trails in the TJ (check the other thread in my sig line) Saturday night at the raffle, my wife won a set of 35" Cooper Discoverer muds. I tried to get her to let me sell 'em but she wanted them on the XJ. So here they are.

Need to find a 35" spare for the roofrack... lol
I tried to tell her it wasnt as easy as just slapping the tires on. - I've ordered a set of the G2 cromo shafts for the front axle (not locked) bump stops and some cut off wheels. Tires are on but that's only half the battle. I know what I'll be doing this weekend.
Unread 10-12-2011, 09:10 PM   #45
02greytj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

new tires look good! especially for free

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.