Dirts 98 XJ Build Thread - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Dirts 98 XJ Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-23-2011, 11:36 PM   #16
Isaac5108
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt22
I sure did.
Sweet!

Unread 07-02-2011, 12:44 PM   #17
Dirt22

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Lifted 4.5" Pro Comp Muds, 98 series satin black wheels...

I also made some rock sliders.

I've got a set of superior C-clip elim 30 spline shafts for the D35, need to save up some money to buy a Detroit to go with it. By the time I get money for the locker I'll know what I wanna do with the gear ratio.

pic of th XJ lifted:

Dirt22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2011, 01:34 PM   #18
Isaac5108
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Lifted 4.5" Pro Comp Muds, 98 series satin black wheels...

I also made some rock sliders.

I've got a set of superior C-clip elim 30 spline shafts for the D35, need to save up some money to buy a Detroit to go with it. By the time I get money for the locker I'll know what I wanna do with the gear ratio.

pic of th XJ lifted:
Looks great! How is with stock gears?
Unread 07-02-2011, 02:58 PM   #19
Dirt22

1998 TJ Wrangler 

havn't driven it much, got done late Friday night and got honey-do's today, but we're going to take it to Big Bear tomorrow morning. I'll report back tomorrow night, hopefully with pictures.
Unread 07-02-2011, 07:17 PM   #20
Isaac5108
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
havn't driven it much, got done late Friday night and got honey-do's today, but we're going to take it to Big Bear tomorrow morning. I'll report back tomorrow night, hopefully with pictures.
Sound good
Unread 07-09-2011, 07:27 AM   #21
Dirt22

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Last weeks wheeling was fun, Not that fun because I'm more of a rocks guy, but I was teaching my father how to wheel. He bought a 92 XJ Country, with a 3.5" lift on 33s.

To date i have about 300+ miles on my Rough Country lift, the "X-Flex" joints on the adjustable control arms are crap. I've taken them off and tried tightening the joint which are a lot like johnny joints twice now and they still make noise. I talked to Jason at RC and he said there are new ones comming in a week, so we'll see how that goes. If these new ones don't fix the issue, I'll be dropping $200 on real Johnny Joints.

I need to re-gear. I think this thing has 3:55s in it, and it's not cutting it on the freeway. Trans has to drop gear way too often and don't even think about running hte AC on the freeway. (It's been close to 100* last few days)

So I was pricing out options,

Option 1
Build a Super 35 out of my D35. Gonna cost around $1500 to do gears, Detroit, Superior shafts, and install the gears (I don't do R&P instals. heh)

Option 2
Do the same thing as above to an 8.25. Cost is about the same, but would have to buy the 8.25 housing as well, which would be around $150 or so.

Option 3
Then I talked to my buddy who has a YJ, He just took his 8.8 out to install a Rock Jock D60. - Yeah, guess what I'm putting under my XJ?

His 8.8 was built to perfection. Superior shafts, Detroit, brand new brake (disc) components and geared to 4:88. I think 4:88 might be a little too low for 33" tires, but whatever. I'll build the HP 30 to match it and run it open for now. Maybe an ARB in the distant future.

I want to be careful about how capable I make this XJ. I know how to do it and if I do, I just know I'll end up in the rocks with it and be breaking stuff all the time, like I do with my TJ. I need to do something to hold me back when those impulses hit, because common sence and good judgement don't cut it for me. My ADD always wins when I'm off road.

So to date, I have home brew front and rear bumpers, and roof rack with tire mount and hi-lift mount. (gatta take it back off to add some gas can mounts) I also made a stinger and a set of rock sliders. I have my CO2 bottle mounted in the back also.

The CO2 tank is a good story. I've wanted one for a while and was looking at the power tank units, but damn that price tag! A buddy who is in the Marines got ahold of a 10# bottle... I found a mount on craigslist for $10! So I took the bottle to the local welding shop, they sold me a cheep regulator and I built an air hose and chuck from stuff I had at work. After all was said and done I think my CO2 tank set up cost me about $65 incl filling it. the regulator doesn't put out enough pressure to run air tools, but it sure fills tires!

ok ok, PICS! - No stinger and the spare is still in the back in these pics. Will get more pics later.

My father and I with our XJs

Little water crossing in Big Bear
Unread 07-18-2011, 11:02 PM   #22
Dirt22

1998 TJ Wrangler 

The Twins

Unread 07-19-2011, 08:21 PM   #23
tucanbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt22 View Post
but this jeep is NOT going to get on the rocks. That's what the TJ is for.
care to re-asess this statement? lol
rocksliders, stinger, locker, 8.8
sounds like a crawler...

just picking bud. BA xj. I love them.
and also more mods than I've done to my tj and I've owned it just under a year.
Unread 07-19-2011, 08:35 PM   #24
DezertTJ
Lost

2006 LJ Wrangler 

you bringing up the cherokee idea, and seeing this is giving me seconds thoughts... good job
Unread 07-19-2011, 09:02 PM   #25
MCObray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt22 View Post
The Twins

A pretty badass picture. Jeep is coming along nicely..
Unread 07-19-2011, 10:51 PM   #26
Dirt22

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucanbob View Post
care to re-asess this statement? lol
rocksliders, stinger, locker, 8.8
sounds like a crawler...

just picking bud. BA xj. I love them.
and also more mods than I've done to my tj and I've owned it just under a year.
Ya I know, There's a LOT I won't be doing to this jeep simply to keep it OUT of the rocks... Snow and stuff, ya. but no big rocks.

Craig, Do your homework before you pull the trigger on one of these, they don't wheel right out of the box like a TJ does, There's no frame (uni-body) so there's a ton of stuff that needs to be done under it to make it so the rocks and big hard flexes won't bend or twist the body. If you shop them, check the door panels and make sure the gaps between all body parts are the same. However, they can be made into a mild wheeler fairly cheep.
Unread 07-19-2011, 10:54 PM   #27
Dirt22

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCObray View Post
A pretty badass picture. Jeep is coming along nicely..
Thanks, One day the XJ will flat tow the TJ.
Unread 07-19-2011, 11:15 PM   #28
DezertTJ
Lost

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Craig, Do your homework before you pull the trigger on one of these, they don't wheel right out of the box like a TJ does, There's no frame (uni-body) so there's a ton of stuff that needs to be done under it to make it so the rocks and big hard flexes won't bend or twist the body. If you shop them, check the door panels and make sure the gaps between all body parts are the same. However, they can be made into a mild wheeler fairly cheep.
Thanks for the info. I need to sell the 4runner first before I do anything. I'll look around, drive a YJ, Cherokee, and i've already had a TJ, and then figure out what I'd want. we'll see soon
Unread 07-20-2011, 05:12 AM   #29
dubbydoo

lookin good keep it up!
dubbydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 10:51 PM   #30
Dirt22

1998 TJ Wrangler 

thanks!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.