Dirts 98 TJ "Runt" LCG Build thread - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Dirts 98 TJ "Runt" LCG Build thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 11-20-2010, 12:06 PM   #76
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I wish I would have thought of that mod and I may do it later. the only problems I have with these bumpers is the tire mount was next to impossible to keep tight so I ended up doing some welding (who the hell has wrenches that big I had to use pipe wrenches) and the powder coat seams brittle and easy to chip and scuff off. Other than that its a good solid bumper so far and I'm happy with it.

Thanks for the pic I like that GT skid. My stock skid seams to be getting the most abuse from my wheeling. Another inch and stronger would be a good thing. Just the other day my friend joked as we came down on the gas tank. "there goes a gallon of space" lmao

balzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2010, 01:05 PM   #77
Dirt22

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same issue keeping the tire tight... and I DO have wrenches that big. LOL
After 3 times tack welding it, I was over it.
Dirt22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2010, 01:23 PM   #78
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

OH that reminded me of a 3rd problem I had but have since fixed. The supplied studs and lug nuts where different threads. When I first put the tire on there I just zipped them on with the impact. Then one day I got a flat and trying to take the lugs off loosened the mounting plate. That was when I welded things up.
balzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2010, 03:10 PM   #79
Dirt22

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ya, Jeep lugs are 1/2-20
the lugs or 'Bolts' they give you to secure your tire on are 1/2-13.

Which isn't a problem, unless you wanna run matching lugs on your tire carrier, locking lugs or whatever. I saw that and changed them before the spare was ever mounted.
Unread 11-22-2010, 09:23 PM   #80
Dirt22

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Alignment done... Do any alignment shops know how to do a TJ? It still drifts to the right.

Also when I brake hard it goes left, guess I better do some brake bleeding, see ifthere's any air in the lines.
Unread 11-23-2010, 08:16 AM   #81
JJeeper09
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I would say no.. I had the same problem so i just did it my self...

A buddy of mine had his passenger break have tension on it which caused it to do that but i do not think that is your problem.. Id hope not. Im going to say it again I AM VERY JEALOUS of Your HP 44
Unread 11-23-2010, 09:31 PM   #82
Dirt22

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJeeper09 View Post
Im going to say it again I AM VERY JEALOUS of Your HP 44
Thanks man. I'm going on a 5 day wheeling trip to Superstition in the morning, should get some pretty good pics.

I sold the old axles for $1500. I think we both made out. He got a pretty much stock D30 with 488 gears and a D35s with an OX locker, 488 gears.

Neer future plans:
Weld in roll cage
CO2 tank
Custom box with drawers for the rear.
Synthetic winch line

Not so neer future plans:
Genright Hi-line fenders (or maybe rokman)

I also wanna change the interior to grey or black, and I'm thinking about hurculining the tub then putting carpet back in. The floor is so hot when driving it's rediculous, Need to insulate it somehow.
Poison Spyder BFH front bumper
Unread 11-24-2010, 03:37 PM   #83
JJeeper09
2004 TJ Wrangler 

go with rokman highlines they are a lot easier to mock up and have the inner fender as well. Scotch740 has the highlines on his one ton build and it seems like to much work to get a new inner fender to match well
Unread 12-03-2010, 07:53 AM   #84
Dirt22

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Pics from Superstition, Thanksgiving weekend

"Runt", on the top of "Lost Dutchman Trail"

Wishbone 2 - Locked up and handling business

Wishbone 3, Daughter riding shotgun

End of Wishbone 3

This last picture realy started bothering me... My daughter has almost ZERO real protection. I'm no safty natzi and I don't worry much about me getting hurt (I ride harleys on the SoCal freeways LOL) But when it comes to HER... Anyhow.

I need to find a company that makes a weld in cage that will fit with the Rampage frameless soft top. All the ones I've seen wont work because the rear spreader bar sticks out past the stock sport bar location. If I can't find a worthy cage I may buy a weld in sport cage and fab the rear up myself. I also want 4 points, which will make getting in and out a real PITA for my daughter when she's in the back...

The good news is, My jeep rocked the panties off those trails!! I was following a rock buggy on 40s with rear stear, and a super built TJ on 40s. I was 3rd in line and we came to a waterfal that I was able to lock down and crawl up, and 5 of the 6 jeeps (all locked, all rolling on 35s or larger) had to winch up. There's been a ton of ribbing sence then.

I also wanted to quickly plug 2 shops that have realy helped me out.

Brothers 4x4 in Monrovia built my axles, (for the new to the thread guys---> HP D44 front, alloy shafts, ARB lockers 5:13 gears, JJs, and a D44 rear with 35 spline alloy axles, ARB, 5:13 gears) they performed flawlessly. Gear ratio, Lockers, the way they ran the airlines to keep them out of the rocks... everything worked perfect and I couldn't be happier.

Also, The Auto Dr in Temecula.
The owner Dave realy knows his jeep stuff and has helped me out many many times. from advice to instals of various aftermarket goodies and rebuilt OEM stuff including my HD trasfercase. Dave knows his stuff.

All in all, I'm very happy with how my shorty jeep handles. I'm going to have to stay off the real rough stuff and be careful in the mild stuff till I get the cage issues figured out.

I'm replacing the last of the stock control arms today, installing 4WP adjustable uppers in the front, then sending it to an alignment shop to fix the caster angle and align it.

I pieced together my CO2 tank, got a tank from a buddy and an airline and fittings from work. Found a mount on Craigslist for $20 and bought a 150psi regulator from Airgas for $40. It doesn't have enough flow rate to run an impact gun but will air up tires just fine, saving my ARB pump for locker duity.

My buddy, a cabinet maker is starting on my custom box for the rear this weekend. We've decided to sink a 6x9 in the front of it. Should be pretty cool.

Here's my list (ever changing)
Cage
Storage Box
Beadlocks
highsteer kit
Highline front fenders and cut the rear
37s

My jeep club (Inland Jeep Freeks 4x4 Jeep Club) is in a local Christmas parade tonight, so I have a 750w inverter to run lights and an inflatable 'Tigger' Will get pics and post them soon.

Unread 12-03-2010, 09:09 AM   #85
BROTHERS4X4
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt22 View Post
Pics from Superstition, Thanksgiving weekend

"Runt", on the top of "Lost Dutchman Trail"

Wishbone 2 - Locked up and handling business

Wishbone 3, Daughter riding shotgun

End of Wishbone 3

This last picture realy started bothering me... My daughter has almost ZERO real protection. I'm no safty natzi and I don't worry much about me getting hurt (I ride harleys on the SoCal freeways LOL) But when it comes to HER... Anyhow.

I need to find a company that makes a weld in cage that will fit with the Rampage frameless soft top. All the ones I've seen wont work because the rear spreader bar sticks out past the stock sport bar location. If I can't find a worthy cage I may buy a weld in sport cage and fab the rear up myself. I also want 4 points, which will make getting in and out a real PITA for my daughter when she's in the back...

The good news is, My jeep rocked the panties off those trails!! I was following a rock buggy on 40s with rear stear, and a super built TJ on 40s. I was 3rd in line and we came to a waterfal that I was able to lock down and crawl up, and 5 of the 6 jeeps (all locked, all rolling on 35s or larger) had to winch up. There's been a ton of ribbing sence then.

I also wanted to quickly plug 2 shops that have realy helped me out.

Brothers 4x4 in Montclair built my axles, (for the new to the thread guys---> HP D44 front, alloy shafts, ARB lockers 5:13 gears, JJs, and a D44 rear with 35 spline alloy axles, ARB, 5:13 gears) they performed flawlessly. Gear ratio, Lockers, the way they ran the airlines to keep them out of the rocks... everything worked perfect and I couldn't be happier.

Also, The Auto Dr in Temecula.
The owner Dave realy knows his jeep stuff and has helped me out many many times. from advice to instals of various aftermarket goodies and rebuilt OEM stuff including my HD trasfercase. Dave knows his stuff.

All in all, I'm very happy with how my shorty jeep handles. I'm going to have to stay off the real rough stuff and be careful in the mild stuff till I get the cage issues figured out.

I'm replacing the last of the stock control arms today, installing 4WP adjustable uppers in the front, then sending it to an alignment shop to fix the caster angle and align it.

I pieced together my CO2 tank, got a tank from a buddy and an airline and fittings from work. Found a mount on Craigslist for $20 and bought a 150psi regulator from Airgas for $40. It doesn't have enough flow rate to run an impact gun but will air up tires just fine, saving my ARB pump for locker duity.

My buddy, a cabinet maker is starting on my custom box for the rear this weekend. We've decided to sink a 6x9 in the front of it. Should be pretty cool.

Here's my list (ever changing)
Cage
Storage Box
Beadlocks
highsteer kit
Highline front fenders and cut the rear
37s

My jeep club (Inland Jeep Freeks 4x4 Jeep Club) is in a local Christmas parade tonight, so I have a 750w inverter to run lights and an inflatable 'Tigger' Will get pics and post them soon.

.Brothers 4x4 Montclair.
Sorry Chris Had to fix your Thread. lol ...Steev...
Unread 01-03-2011, 12:27 AM   #86
mJUSTINm
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Nice Jeep! Looks like it works great too.

I've heard nothing but good reviews about Brothers 4x4. Might have to give them a call for axle work when the time comes.
Unread 01-03-2011, 09:02 AM   #87
Dirt22

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Justin,
It's a little nerve wracking dropping a bunch of cash to a shop you don't know, so I did my internet research too... Everything I found was positive. The only thing I could find is some tool complaining because their used parts are expencive... That's funny to me, because if you don't like someones prices, buy some place else.

If I had a set of half doors and could sell them for $2,000 I sure would, reguardless if they're only worth $500.

What keeps me on the Brothers 4X4 bandwagon is that they're wheelers themselves, and they're in constant contact. Gaspar sends me emails every once in a while, Not "Dear Valued Customer" ones either... He calls me by name and asks how things are going, wants to know where I've been wheeling and bugs me for pics.
Unread 01-03-2011, 09:40 AM   #88
DezertTJ
Lost

2006 LJ Wrangler 

hey do the cops out here ever bug you about the fenders? i wanna do the MCE's but i'm a little worried about the cops and fender law
Unread 01-03-2011, 10:07 AM   #89
BROTHERS4X4
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt22 View Post
Justin,
It's a little nerve wracking dropping a bunch of cash to a shop you don't know, so I did my internet research too... Everything I found was positive. The only thing I could find is some tool complaining because their used parts are expencive... That's funny to me, because if you don't like someones prices, buy some place else.

If I had a set of half doors and could sell them for $2,000 I sure would, reguardless if they're only worth $500.

What keeps me on the Brothers 4X4 bandwagon is that they're wheelers themselves, and they're in constant contact. Gaspar sends me emails every once in a while, Not "Dear Valued Customer" ones either... He calls me by name and asks how things are going, wants to know where I've been wheeling and bugs me for pics.
Awesome pictures Chris.
Unread 01-03-2011, 10:16 AM   #90
Grunt77
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Are those JK axles or something different?

RIP SSG Brad King. KIA April 2, 2007
Grunt77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.