Dirts 98 TJ "Runt" LCG Build thread - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Dirts 98 TJ "Runt" LCG Build thread

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 09-06-2010, 06:23 PM   #16
Dirt22

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit455 View Post
how do you like the currie tail shaft conversion? my re hack and tap fits loose on the output shaft and causes things to oscialate, im looking at other sye's and the currie would be great since my new tom woods driveshaft has the 1310 cv flange mount. do you have any issues with yours?
To be honest, I havn't had it in long enough to know of any problems. Went wheeling yesterday on a medium trail and had no issues at all... There might be 200 miles on this SYE...
My club has a big run next weekend where I'll put it to a little more testing.

With a name like Currie, I don't expect any problems.

Dirt22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 06:26 PM   #17
bandit455
1997 TJ Wrangler 

awesome, let me know how it works out for ya

killer jeep btw
Eagle scout jeeper #10

my build thread
The Things We Make, Make Us
bandit455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 06:28 PM   #18
Dirt22

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Yes I am.....that explains that.
heh, funny, and BTW, your jeep is rad.
Unread 09-06-2010, 07:16 PM   #19
bandit455
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Could you please get me a pic of where the flange meets the transfercase?

thanks
Eagle scout jeeper #10

my build thread
Unread 09-06-2010, 07:45 PM   #20
Boostmonkey
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt22 View Post
Lets just say I'm not a huge fan of smittybuilts welds, their hole alignment, their missing hardware, or their habit of breaking rear tire carriers on the trail.

Before I got the Rampage rear tire carrier I had a smittybuilt one, One of my wheelin buddys had the same one with a 30" tire (i had a 32" at the time) and we both broke them at the spindle. (crap welds, too hot, not enough fill, and too thin of material - I think they use sub standard mild steel in china) also the bolt holes had to be ovaled out to fit, and they were missing hardware. The front didnt fit much better.

I have a smittybuilt XRC winch that so far has worked fine, but hasn't been used much. I had a smittybuilt bikini top... fit like crap.

They all fit my budget at the time, but if I had waited and bought good stuff to begine with instead of buying cheep then upgrading, I'd have saved a bit of $$$

Bottom line is: You get what you pay for.
Well i really happy to find this out, I was planning on ordering there XRC front bumper tomorrow.
Boostmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 08:45 PM   #21
Dirt22

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostmonkey View Post
Well i really happy to find this out, I was planning on ordering there XRC front bumper tomorrow.
The XRC line seems to be a bit better, I don't have any experiance with the front though. i do know the SRC one that I have, the D ring mounts are 3/4" off from each other.
If you get it, good luck.
Unread 09-06-2010, 08:51 PM   #22
Dirt22

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit455 View Post
Could you please get me a pic of where the flange meets the transfercase?

thanks
This what you need?

I'm assuming that the goop under there is just from the u-joints being over greased... I hope this is normal? I will be keeping an eye on it in hopes that it stops flinging crap all over...
Unread 09-06-2010, 09:06 PM   #23
Boostmonkey
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I am a total noob and i don't really want to do things twice. Not to jack youre thread but if you wouldn't mind telling what you think of my planed modds it would really help me out. Here is what i was thinkin: RC 7" long arm or Teraflex 6" long arm, Teraflex or dynatrac fully built front and rear D44's with 5.36 Gears and E-locker, Now i am thinking Hanson Offroad 52" Winch Guard Front Bumper or FabFour front bumper w/grill guard, FabFour Rear Bumper w/Tire Carrier or ??. thats all i can think of but i am sure there is alot of stuff i am no thinking of.
Unread 09-06-2010, 09:38 PM   #24
Dirt22

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostmonkey View Post
I am a total noob and i don't really want to do things twice. Not to jack youre thread but if you wouldn't mind telling what you think of my planed modds it would really help me out. Here is what i was thinkin: RC 7" long arm or Teraflex 6" long arm, Teraflex or dynatrac fully built front and rear D44's with 5.36 Gears and E-locker, Now i am thinking Hanson Offroad 52" Winch Guard Front Bumper or FabFour front bumper w/grill guard, FabFour Rear Bumper w/Tire Carrier or ??. thats all i can think of but i am sure there is alot of stuff i am no thinking of.
Well, your 6 or 7" lifts are about the exact opposite of what I'm doing, being a LCG build, but if that's what you want, make it happen. If you're looking at fab 4 anything, you better have a ton of money to burn, I got a buddy that has them (front and rear) on his rubi, and they're sweet for sure, but expencive as all get out.
Unread 09-06-2010, 09:41 PM   #25
Boostmonkey
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Still i little behind on the short hand what does LCG stand for?
Unread 09-06-2010, 10:00 PM   #26
Dirt22

1998 TJ Wrangler 

LCG= Low Center of Gravity

My jeep has a 2.5" lift and rolls on 35" tires.

There's a million different ways to build a jeep, build yours you way.
I didn't have much choice but to build mine low, as it sits now I have about 3/4" clearance between my roll bar and the garage door.
Unread 09-07-2010, 07:16 PM   #27
bandit455
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt22 View Post
This what you need?

I'm assuming that the goop under there is just from the u-joints being over greased... I hope this is normal? I will be keeping an eye on it in hopes that it stops flinging crap all over...

yes, thats good.

one last round of questions on this, if im looking at it correctly the dust cap on the transfercase is replaced with a seal? also how tight-fitting is the flange on the output shaft? the main issue with my current sye is that the flange is actually oscillating one the output shaft itself. Are you satisfied with the sturdieness and overall beef of the kit?

thanks again.
Eagle scout jeeper #10

my build thread
Unread 09-07-2010, 08:06 PM   #28
Dirt22

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Comes with the seal, It's pretty tight, Doesn't even think about moving once the 4 bolts are cranked down.

I'm very happy with it so far. My jeep has ZERO vibes.
Unread 10-13-2010, 04:42 PM   #29
DezertTJ
Lost

2006 LJ Wrangler 

holy crap your jeep has changed since the last time i saw it. looks amazing!
Unread 10-13-2010, 09:21 PM   #30
Dirt22

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks man, It's getting there. I hope you're liking AZ. I went to trade school there. Didn't learn much at school, but I did learn some cool beer drinking games, Them zoners party HARD!!! Keep your head in your books and out of the keg, come home when you can and be smart. - Oh, and wheel the hell out of AZ, there's a TON of awesome places out there.

As for Runt,

I put an UnderCover FabWorks ultra high skid on her.
You can kinda see it here...

I also put +4" Pro Comp MX6 adjustable shocks on... +4 shocks with the 2.5" lift realy let the tires drop out. I'm very happy with the results.

Poison Spider sliders and full corners are at the powder coaters right now, I'll install them tomorrow. Here's a shot of them when I fit them up and drilled the mounting holes.

The trick to corners and sliders is to buy them from the same place, at the same time, and fit them up together so the seam at the bottom rear of the door is tight.

I'm shopping axles now, Think I'm going with a Super 8.8 and a Super HP D30, both with ARBs in the next few weeks.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.