A different type of YJ build. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > A different type of YJ build.

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3

Unread 08-27-2014, 11:23 PM   #1
FFIrish
1991 YJ Wrangler 

A different type of YJ build.

Here's my story. Had a 1987 YJ did some mods, lift, 35's, bumpers,Etc.....
Got in a bind and had to sell it. Needless to say I've been on the hunt for another since the day it sold. Recently purchased a 1991 YJ. Needed work. No drivlines or fuel tank. Got the parts and got it running, runs a drives pretty good. Well here's where the build starts. It's on a tight budget (Firemans budget) haha. All the jeep really has now is a 2 inch body lift and 31 inch tires that are as bald as it gets. What I'm wanting to do is get everyone on here to tell me where I should go with the budget I've got. Kind of let everyone vote on what I should do. My goal is to have a jeep that I can DD if needed but hit the trails when I want. Budget as of right now is 700 bucks. Not a lot I know but it's something. Sorry this post is so long, it'll end soon enough! First things first. Where should the build go from here? Opinions? Budget will increase a little at a time as I get paid. Pics soon!

FFIrish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2014, 05:48 AM   #2
responder
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the forum!

You are right, $700 is a tight budget. However, making sure that everything is mechanically sound should be your first priority. Get a set of tire for the rig and enjoy it. Get some money put away and start to build it the way YOU want it done. It is your Jeep!
responder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2014, 06:00 AM   #3
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Get it set as a DD first, before lifting, bigger tires etc. Repairing it to stock is the least expensive route, then you can take the next steps when you are ready.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2014, 11:04 PM   #4
FFIrish
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Well I thought I had it fixed. When I got it running it had a slight knock to it, no biggie. Then it became a louder knock. Put it up on the lift. Checked flywheel, manifold all the usual stuff but nothing. Dropped the pan found that no. 3 rod bearing had lots of play, barely even touched the plastigauge when I checked clearance. So I'm just gonna throw another bearing in and see how long it lasts. In the meantime I'll be looking to either rebuild this or build the 4.7 stroker. Any thoughts?
Unread 09-06-2014, 11:07 PM   #5
FFIrish
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Another thing, when I purchased the jeep the guy had a NP231 Tcase and tranny sitting in his shed. He only wanted 100 bucks so I bought em, come to find out the tranny is an AW4 from a Cherokee. Been thinking about swapping it in. Any one have experience with this?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.