Diabl0's Picture Intense Build - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Diabl0's Picture Intense Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 12-26-2009, 08:44 PM   #16
Diabl0
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Low pinion D30 swap to Hp30:

Somehow we didn't manage to get any pictures during the swap. That was probably because we just went at it for a few hours straight and knocked it out.

I couldn't get the stock uppers off of my old D30, and a friend was nice enough to give me a set for free. I put them in and then had it towed to the shop to be regeared and aligned.

A drawn out video of it being towed out. If you listen close enough, the tow truck dude said "that's pretty hot" as he walked around the front of my TJ.

We got it back just in time to take it on an 1,800 mile journey down to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. It handled the trip very well with the 4.88s and 33s.

Here are some pictures from the day we got back from Myrtle Beach. We went to a local flexing place to check clearances and make sure everything is good.

White Jeep Club Member #808

My Build Thread
Diabl0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2009, 08:46 PM   #17
Diabl0
1997 TJ Wrangler 

This is what happens when you let a friend close the hood on your Jeep and you don't double check to make sure the latches were attached.

Anyway, I painted the grille. It was pretty bad from rocks hitting it. Also touched up the undercarriage again and finished the side armor from where I missed it when the extensions were on.

Took it out on the trail again after adjusting the transfercase linkage. Man! What a difference going from 3.07s to 4.88s makes! I actually have 4lo!

Some pictures:

My Build Thread
Unread 12-26-2009, 08:48 PM   #18
Diabl0
1997 TJ Wrangler 

And we took the little ones with us as well:

A couple of videos:

Installed my new 41 tooth speedo gear! It's dead on now!

If you look hard enough you can see that it matches at 50 mph!

My Build Thread
Unread 12-26-2009, 08:49 PM   #19
Diabl0
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The Jeep died about 5-6 months ago and has been sitting ever since. No start and no obvious reason why. Starter, alternator (for the third time), and battery were replaced. Nothing worked so it's onto battery cables next. If that doesn't work it's off to the shop.

Snow pictures! Too bad my Jeep is sitting in the garage a hundred miles away from me!

The day after the storm:

Plans as of right now are:

Get it running again ASAP - I want to sell my Scion next semester. Then starts the hunt for a long armed and geared 5.9!!!

In this order:

Metal cloak system - Merry Christmas to me!
Clayton long arm upgrade - not the kit. With RE 3.5" coils (maybe, we'll see)
35" MT/R Kevlars
Roll cage and lockers whenever I can afford them

That will be it for probably the next 4 or 5 years. After that I'll be doing axles again and 37s.

On order:

My Build Thread
Unread 12-26-2009, 09:07 PM   #20
Martinsc
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabl0 View Post
:
Its a Sahara and it came with those seats?
Martinsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2009, 09:18 PM   #21
whatevah
2012 JK Wrangler 

A lot of those pics look familiar. Nice to see the story of your TJ since you got it 'til now.
whatevah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2009, 09:25 PM   #22
Diabl0
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinsc View Post
Its a Sahara and it came with those seats?

No. The PO put Sahara crap on it. I got the build sheet, and it's a Sport. If you look at my newer pictures, I took all of the "stock" decals off.

My Build Thread
Unread 12-26-2009, 09:26 PM   #23
Diabl0
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatevahxj View Post
A lot of those pics look familiar. Nice to see the story of your TJ since you got it 'til now.

Pretty sure most of my wheeling pictures were taken by you, Jerry.

My Build Thread
Unread 12-26-2009, 11:41 PM   #24
gobeer
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Any chance of describing the process of painting the wheels. Scuffing/Primer type/what paint? They look good. Do they hold up well? Would you do it again? i have some pitted aluminum wheels i'm thinking about painting.
gobeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2009, 11:45 PM   #25
Diabl0
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobeer View Post
Any chance of describing the process of painting the wheels. Scuffing/Primer type/what paint? They look good. Do they hold up well? Would you do it again? i have some pitted aluminum wheels i'm thinking about painting.

The process is fairly simple. I didn't scuff these, but it wouldn't hurt.

1. Clean them really well.
2. Wipe them down with ammonia to get any leftover grease or soap off.
3. Let them dry or dry them.
4. If they are still on the tires mask them off using notecards.
5. Primer them and let dry.
6. Wipe them down with ammonia to get any dust off.
7. Paint them.

Just follow the directions on the can. I used Rustoleum gloss black for these wheels.

I painted my mom's stock wheels this way and they've held up fine. Also, I just painted a set of Moab's not too long ago. I used Duplicolor's wheel paint which is pretty amazing. I'd suggest using that if they have a color you like.

My Build Thread

Last edited by Diabl0; 12-27-2009 at 08:48 AM..
Unread 12-27-2009, 09:12 AM   #26
SOLIDJP44
2013 JK Wrangler 

your grill reminds me of mine.....nice

2011 GMC ALL/Terrain Sierra z71-Current

SILVER JEEP CLUB MEMBER #55
SOLIDJP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2009, 04:06 PM   #27
Diabl0
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sport44 View Post
your grill reminds me of mine.....nice

Thanks sport.

I forgot I had picked up some new seats awhile back. They were $80 with the brackets.

My Build Thread
Unread 12-27-2009, 04:56 PM   #28
jackel18
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Jeep looks good, seems like you have a good plan in place. I was surprised that you ran the half-cab top, and didn't flip the speaker bar inside. Was there a reason for this?

-Rich
jackel18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2009, 05:08 PM   #29
Diabl0
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackel18 View Post
Jeep looks good, seems like you have a good plan in place. I was surprised that you ran the half-cab top, and didn't flip the speaker bar inside. Was there a reason for this?

-Rich

Rich, thanks a lot. I saw no reason to flip the soundbar to the inside because I never planned on running the half top long term. My stock top got a nice tear in it, and I picked that up for $50 to hold me over. Also, my soundbar isn't wired in yet. The PO had a really crappy aftermarket soundbar installed and they cut and spliced the wiring for it. I replaced it with a stock bar that I got for super cheap. I also got a brand new wiring harness for it since I no longer have the little plug in for it. I just have to have it rewired. Maybe we'll do that when we install the Metal cloak stuff...

My Build Thread
Unread 12-27-2009, 05:10 PM   #30
jackel18
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Cool, looks like you got it all figured out
jackel18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.