Dezert's AZ Backcountry LJ Build - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Dezert's AZ Backcountry LJ Build

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 01-16-2014, 02:42 PM   #16
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Tough to beat a 6 speed LJ Rubicon......gonna ditch that goofy chrome grill overlay?

Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2014, 04:54 PM   #17
DezertTJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Tough to beat a 6 speed LJ Rubicon......gonna ditch that goofy chrome grill overlay?
If I get rid of it, then I won't have a VIP spot at the mall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Can't go wrong with the 3 inch savvy coils. I was gonna get the MC coils, but didn't want to do a SYE/DS yet. If you do get the coils from savvy, get the shocks that he has tuned for those coils. I believe he's working on a set of foxes and ranchos.
I was thinking 5100s since I've always had good experience with them. We'll See when the time comes

Quote:
Iím very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany
DezertTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2014, 05:21 PM   #18
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

5100 are great on my LJ. Never has it rode better.

Jeep-Owner.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2014, 05:22 PM   #19
h1driver

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Nah-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Can't go wrong with the 3 inch savvy coils. I was gonna get the MC coils, but didn't want to do a SYE/DS yet....
I might have to disagree... the MC springs have the longest free length on the market (longer than Currie 4") , and handle great both off AND on the road. When I put the MC springs on my LJ Rubi, I got about 4.5" of lift since I was unloaded... Just based on how they set the spring rates.

Not quite sure what the MC coils would have to do with getting a SYE, other than amplifying my comment above about longer free length and spring rate, but with DezertTJs Rubi SYE is not necessary...

Regardless, I think you'll get great testimonials for either spring...I just like the longer free length to reduce the chance of unseating a spring on the trail since I dont have spring-keepers And again...the ride quality is top notch

So, Suck-It Trebek!!! MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ

My "Build" - Collect and Assemble
h1driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2014, 05:49 PM   #20
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Longer spring = earlier coil bind. You can look at the situation both ways. Unless you're planning on running 12" travel shocks and doing what it takes to support that travel, springs like MC's aren't going to be used to their potential. Currie knows what they're doing in regards to springs. Past that, don't waste your energy going back and forth on springs. Spend that energy on parts that will make a bigger difference, like shocks, control arms, track bars and sway bars.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2014, 06:52 PM   #21
h1driver

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Longer spring = earlier coil bind. You can look at the situation both ways. Unless you're planning on running 12" travel shocks and doing what it takes to support that travel, springs like MC's aren't going to be used to their potential. Currie knows what they're doing in regards to springs. Past that, don't waste your energy going back and forth on springs. Spend that energy on parts that will make a bigger difference, like shocks, control arms, track bars and sway bars.
Not arguing that- not any of it. My point, is that the potential is there. If he is thinking Bilstein 5100s anyway...he is part way there. I run the entire MetalCloak 3.5" LTSA Lite, and have their Overline front fenders. I Only run 35s, and have been stuffed to the point where I am just touching the fender, but stopped by my bumpstops. During that time, I still had room for the springs to compress further. I can see spring bind on those MC springs with smaller tires and shorter body shocks allowing for more uptravel, so long as the bumps aren't set properly...

I fully admit that I am no suspension genius, so answer me this and maybe we can all learn a little:
What good is upgrading all the other things listed if your coils don't have the length to support the travel that your other components will allow for...you'll potentially get an unseated coil on the trail, correct? Isn't it a better option to upgrade it all at the same time?

Again, sorry for the potentiall ignorance... and sorry for any appearance of hijacking DezertTJ.

Unread 01-22-2014, 02:38 AM   #22
DezertTJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Not hijacking at all! Been a good read. Do you like the metalcloak coils?

To add to the short and long coil discussion, stock coils are way too short!

Quote:
Iím very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany
Unread 01-22-2014, 06:34 AM   #23
jscusmcvet
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Nice jeep. I kind of like the stance it has now, but that is personal preference. I have MC front upper and lower control arms on the way. I cannot speak to the actual product yet, but so far the company has been outstanding to work with... great communication and shipping sooner than expected.

Great looking jeep.

John
Unread 01-22-2014, 03:41 PM   #24
Laredo-Alex
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Nice LJ!!! I would love the 315s on my LJ!
Unread 01-24-2014, 01:38 PM   #25
h1driver

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Love 'Em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezertTJ View Post
...Do you like the metalcloak coils?...
I love 'em. The length allows for alot of travel (probably more than the Nitrochargers will fully support), and the rates are nice. Hopefully I'll be able to upgrade to long(er) arms and longer travel shocks in the not-too-distant future. Either way, great ride both on- and off-road.

Unread 01-24-2014, 06:43 PM   #26
jscusmcvet
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1driver View Post
I love 'em. The length allows for alot of travel (probably more than the Nitrochargers will fully support), and the rates are nice. Hopefully I'll be able to upgrade to long(er) arms and longer travel shocks in the not-too-distant future. Either way, great ride both on- and off-road.
Are the rear coils holding up to the extra weight of the LJ OK? Do you have a heavy build, such as a rear bumper tire carrier combo?

Thanks
Unread 01-25-2014, 12:06 AM   #27
h1driver

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscusmcvet View Post
Are the rear coils holding up to the extra weight of the LJ OK? Do you have a heavy build, such as a rear bumper tire carrier combo?

Thanks
I've had them on for about a year, and they're holding up fine thus far... Hard top, big steel bumper with steel swing arm, and 35" tire mounted. I've run about 10,000 miles with them installed, including a couple of trail trips (Rubicon and Dusy Ershim) with 5 days of gear, food, and water in the back...

I'll pm you a pic or two...

Unread 01-29-2014, 08:32 PM   #28
DezertTJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Well I found a deal on a set of 4" Currie front coils that I couldn't pass up. So those should be coming in the near future. Going for lots of underbelly clearance

Quote:
Unread 01-29-2014, 08:41 PM   #29
redrelyt12
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well I found a deal on a set of 4" Currie front coils that I couldn't pass up. So those should be coming in the near future. Going for lots of underbelly clearance
Craigslist find or a deal somewhere?
Unread 01-29-2014, 08:44 PM   #30
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That didnt take long

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.