Dbl's Newb Build - All Suggestions and Opinions Welcomed... Even You Imped :-) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Dbl's Newb Build - All Suggestions and Opinions Welcomed... Even You Imped :-)

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Reply
Unread 07-18-2011, 02:33 PM   #16
dblplay1212
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Saint Augustine, FL
Posts: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper3494 View Post
http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-132...ars-yukon.html

gears can be found for a pretty wide variety of prices some higher than this some lower. if your friends can do gears thats a big help, they're not terribly hard but some shops will charge you out the *** for it. it depends on what kind of shape you find the axle in, if you find one with good bearings, rotors. basically if stuff works it'll be easier on you. and cheaper. id say 2000 per axle including purchase and gears would build you a pretty serious set. give or take a few hundred. brackets aren't real expensive, you can find brackets for both axles for probably around 400. you'll save quite a bit of money if you do 44s, parts are cheaper but also they're not near as strong. if you want to make a 44 as strong as a 60 you'll be spending about even, maybe even a little more on the 44 because hardcore axle shafts aren't cheap
Decision, decisions. Still leaning towards the 60's. The extra money now can save me a swap later. That's a win in my book.

Plus the 60 looks cool with the huge diff cover.

dblplay1212 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2011, 02:36 PM   #17
dblplay1212
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Saint Augustine, FL
Posts: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper3494 View Post
and the highline kit looks like it can probably be installed pretty easily in your garage
I was just looking at that, too, and I agree with you. Will definitely put that on in a buddy's garage. Obviously paint is going to be the expensive part there. The hood and all 4 corners have to be painted. At that point, might as well go ahead and paint the whole damn Jeep. Already checked on the Sahara badging, too. Damn Sahara stickers are like $58 each.
dblplay1212 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2011, 03:00 PM   #18
Ripper3494
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Warrenville, Illinois
Posts: 5,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblplay1212

I was just looking at that, too, and I agree with you. Will definitely put that on in a buddy's garage. Obviously paint is going to be the expensive part there. The hood and all 4 corners have to be painted. At that point, might as well go ahead and paint the whole damn Jeep. Already checked on the Sahara badging, too. Damn Sahara stickers are like $58 each.
I recently bought an hvlp gun, high volume low pressure, from harbor freight for around 30 bucks, painting isn't hard, I painted my metal cloak fenders and corners and it turned out pretty decent. But if ur not comfortable painting a body shop is deff your best bet

Sent from my DROIDX using JeepForum
__________________
build thread:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/94-yj-6-0-build-spud-1218315/[/url]
1994 yj stretched, locked and loaded - 6.0l vortec lq4, 4l60e, np231, Dana 44s 37" interco trxus m/t, 3.5" bds front leafs, double triangulated 4 link rear on xj front coils.
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2011, 03:07 PM   #19
dblplay1212
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Saint Augustine, FL
Posts: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper3494 View Post
I recently bought an hvlp gun, high volume low pressure, from harbor freight for around 30 bucks, painting isn't hard, I painted my metal cloak fenders and corners and it turned out pretty decent. But if ur not comfortable painting a body shop is deff your best bet

Sent from my DROIDX using JeepForum
haha. Yea, I'm not even going think about thinking about trying it.
dblplay1212 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2011, 04:01 PM   #20
Ripper3494
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Warrenville, Illinois
Posts: 5,677
http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-686...4-5-5x5-5.html more food for thought
__________________
build thread:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/94-yj-6-0-build-spud-1218315/[/url]
1994 yj stretched, locked and loaded - 6.0l vortec lq4, 4l60e, np231, Dana 44s 37" interco trxus m/t, 3.5" bds front leafs, double triangulated 4 link rear on xj front coils.
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2011, 04:49 PM   #21
dblplay1212
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Saint Augustine, FL
Posts: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper3494 View Post
Yea, checked those out previously. $3k+ with gears and a locker. Ouch.
dblplay1212 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2011, 06:25 PM   #22
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013
 
Hendrix's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Nashville
Posts: 4,712
Check out some JK Rubi 44s if you want a nice axle that is locked and great for 37s. You will not lose all that ground clearance as with 60s. And it makes a great DD. BTW they are not your everyday D44s. Much stronger and bigger than the previous Rubi D44s.
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2011, 06:32 PM   #23
dblplay1212
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Saint Augustine, FL
Posts: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
Check out some JK Rubi 44s if you want a nice axle that is locked and great for 37s. You will not lose all that ground clearance as with 60s. And it makes a great DD. BTW they are not your everyday D44s. Much stronger and bigger than the previous Rubi D44s.
How do they width-wise compared to the 60? Do they have to be cut down, too?
dblplay1212 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2011, 06:38 PM   #24
jforse
Web Wheeler
 
jforse's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Duluth, Minnesota
Posts: 2,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblplay1212 View Post
How do they width-wise compared to the 60? Do they have to be cut down, too?
Nope. Run them stock width. Use a sleeve kit, c-gussets, and a truss of some sort for the front. Truss the rear. Check out Hendrix build he has JK RUBI 44's.
__________________
1997 TJ - Build in process.
2004 WJ Freedom Edition 4.7HO
jforse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2011, 07:31 PM   #25
dblplay1212
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Saint Augustine, FL
Posts: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by jforse View Post
Nope. Run them stock width. Use a sleeve kit, c-gussets, and a truss of some sort for the front. Truss the rear. Check out Hendrix build he has JK RUBI 44's.
Awesome. Will check it out now. Thanks for the suggestion.
dblplay1212 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2011, 06:38 AM   #26
dblplay1212
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Saint Augustine, FL
Posts: 312
Going to put about $3k into this build at the end of this month. Thoughts on where I should spend it? I was thinking buy the AEV Highline kit. Thoughts? Or should I just bank all the cash and buy it all at one time? Sorry, first time doing this so not sure the best way to go about it, if there is one.
dblplay1212 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2011, 06:50 AM   #27
Imped
Web Wheeler
 
Imped's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 19,430
Even me?

I'm diggin the tune upgrades. I miss my bass. One of these days I'm gonna try to come up with a center console woofer/amp. Everything needs to be completely hidden, though. As for the future plans, looks good. Keep on wheelin.

And as for where you should put your money, that's up to you. I'd start on beefing up the weak or vulnerable areas. Steering, namely the tie rod. Steering box and oil pan next. Rocker guards and gas tank skid after that in terms of importance. First figure out where you want to be in terms of tire size, axles and wheelbase and go from there. If you're going 35-37" tires, don't bother with the ZJ tie rod IMO. Just go straight to Currie. If you're going with non-stock axles, don't buy Currie since you'll have to build custom steering anyway. Just go through that kind of process and you'll figure **** out.
__________________
OlllllllO
Float Test Build
IndyORV
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2011, 07:33 AM   #28
dblplay1212
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Saint Augustine, FL
Posts: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Even me?

I'm diggin the tune upgrades. I miss my bass. One of these days I'm gonna try to come up with a center console woofer/amp. Everything needs to be completely hidden, though. As for the future plans, looks good. Keep on wheelin.

And as for where you should put your money, that's up to you. I'd start on beefing up the weak or vulnerable areas. Steering, namely the tie rod. Steering box and oil pan next. Rocker guards and gas tank skid after that in terms of importance. First figure out where you want to be in terms of tire size, axles and wheelbase and go from there. If you're going 35-37" tires, don't bother with the ZJ tie rod IMO. Just go straight to Currie. If you're going with non-stock axles, don't buy Currie since you'll have to build custom steering anyway. Just go through that kind of process and you'll figure **** out.
Yea, even you.

Hmm, hadn't thought about that direction, honestly. With my wheelin being relatively light, I was thinking highline and lift > tires and wheels > axles > brakes > steering/skids etc. The rocker guards 1st isn't a terrible idea, though. I say that bc I hate the look of the current steps and the rocker guards I have planned is probably what I'm looking forward to most.

I'm going to have a local shop fab them up for me. I want to keep my Sahara bubble panel on the side. I know the hardcore wheelers will laugh, but I like the way it looks. I had a picture in my head for 15 years of what this Jeep looked like on the lot (i went twice a week to look at jeeps as a kid) and I want to stay relative true to form of what I always wanted. I want the traditional look, but I want more than just protection from them. Basically, I want this:




but it will have to be shaped to hug the body line of the Sahara. Instead of folding down and under, I want them to fold from a rocker position to a step. Fiance is short and needs the step to get in and it's only on 31's. Basically the opposite of this:



I suppose I could do that and the skids while I'm eating away the meat on my 31's. They only have about 12k miles on them now and I wouldn't be opposed to eating them up some more before taking them off. Maybe even do bumpers, too. Damnit Imped, I knew inviting you in would turn this build upside down.
dblplay1212 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.