Dbl's Newb Build - All Suggestions and Opinions Welcomed... Even You Imped :-) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Dbl's Newb Build - All Suggestions and Opinions Welcomed... Even You Imped :-)

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 07-18-2011, 08:52 AM   #1
dblplay1212
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Dbl's Newb Build - All Suggestions and Opinions Welcomed... Even You Imped :-)

Let me preface this by saying that I am not a hardcore wheeler. I could become one someday, but not there today. I also know basically zero about cars/Jeeps. I have been learning as much as I can over the last 6 months, but still Iím basically ignorant compared to 99% of the guys here. I enjoy getting out and riding trails and camping, but rocks isnít my thing just yet. The thought of my baby getting deep in mud makes my skin crawl, too. Of course when I bought the Jeep I said I wasnít going to do much modding to it at all and that plan has completely changed now so my wheeling tendencies could change, too. With this build, I want to build for what I do now with the option to morph into something more off-road capable if my interests change. To start with, I guess most will consider it a mall crawler but it will do a good bit of weekend warrioring, too.

I will be doing very very little of the work myself. Iím just not knowledgeable enough to feel comfortable doing it nor do I even have the tools to do it. I have been riding some with my local club and several of the guys have offered to help me with the smaller stuff. Really looking forward to that bc Iíll be able to learn as we do it.

When I was younger, all I wanted was a Jeep. I was spoiled rotten with a brand new Explorer but hated it bc it wasnít a Jeep. For years I wanted a 96-98 moss green and spice Sahara. Finally got to the point where I could have a second vehicle so I went hunting for that specific Jeep. After about 6 months, came across a 98 with only 47k miles. Had to have it and ended up getting a solid deal on it at $7k. The Jeep had sat under a beach house for 13 years with nothing but a Safari top, so it needed a little cleaning.

Here it is as I bought it.

First thing that had to change was the tires. 31Ē Goodyear Duratracs.

I know my ďwantsĒ are a little backwards from most on here, but bear with me here.

Next up was a new softop bc the one that was on it was the original top and it had been folded down on the Jeep for 13 years and had basically rotted. The Safari top on it was in bad shape too so I bought a bikini/duster combo, too. This pic is more recent than when it was done, but you can see in it I had the steps painted to match the wheels. Mistake #1 bc now I don't even want the steps.

The front dash panel had a few spots that came painted from Jeep, not impregnated with the color. The paint on these sections, mainly the airbag, had basically melted a little over the years and become tacky and felt like someone had poured syrup on it. Here it is when I got it.

Just looked terrible. Had a local shop strip the dash, door panels, and center console down and redye back to factory spice. Came out even better than I had hoped. Wish I had better pics, but this will give you an idea.

Up next, tunes. She had the stock am/fm/cassette in it.

Pulled it out and put in a JVC widescreen. Love everything about this unit except that it doesnít have GPS. Went with it bc it was a single din and required no cutting, but leaning towards going to a double din now. If I do, Iíll update later. As of now, this is what Iím working with.

Old soundbar was in rough shape. The speakers were rusted out, sounded terrible, and the bar itself was pretty weathered. Ordered a new bar and replaced the speakers that came in it with Kicker components.

Woooo. Now I can hear at 70 mph with the top down. When I first bought the Jeep, I swore I was going to keep the carpet in to keep the factory look/feel. Welp, that went out the window after about the 10th time I had an inch of water in my floorboards. Yanked it out and had the tub bedlined and color matched to the dash/doors/center console.

This is the only thing to date that I am not happy with. The material they used is very very very soft. Chips up very easily. I knew I should have just had it done with Line-X but went with the guy that had done my dash and everything previously. My mistake and Iíll pay for it. Damnit. Does look really good, but just not very functional.

Next up was adding some bass to my tunes. Iím a pretty conservative guy so I wanted my speakers to be stealth. I donít want anyone to know they are there unless I want them to know they are there. I didnít need 2 12Ēs, but they fit in the back seat, so why not? Had the guts of the backseat ripped out and a box built to replace them. Two kicker 12Ē with the Kicker 700.5 marine amp pushing them and my fronts/soundbar. The speakers are about 2 inches off the tub in the seat and the amp is marine grade so a little rain here and there shouldnít affect the system at all.

Now I can be doing 70 with the top down and doors off and feel like Iím front row at a concert. Couldn't be happier with the cash invested in the tunes. Well worth it, imo.

Done a few other things that I don't really have pics of. Took the miljugs off and replaced with the caps. Replaced the roll pad covers. I'm sure there's more little stuff that I can't think of right now.

dblplay1212 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2011, 08:53 AM   #2
dblplay1212
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, that basically catches up to where we stand today. All of my creature comforts on the interior are done. Now itís time to build her up a little so that I feel more comfortable going on more rides with my club. Like I said earlier, I started this 6 months ago completely ignorant. Iíve tried to learn as much as possible while I was doing all the interior things to the Jeep. Iíve read opinion after opinion and have based what I plan on doing on that. I wish I had a ton of wheeling experience to know exactly what is right for me, but I donít. Itíll be trial by error. Hopefully I get it close to right the 1st time so that I donít have a ton of expenses later. When making decisions on what I want to do with her, Iíd say priorities fall about 70/30 street to off-road. I want a rig that will drive really well on-road (I realize itís not a Caddy, but I donít want a tank either) while still being able to go just about anywhere I so choose to go off-road. Keep in mind that where I choose is probably lighter than what a lot of you guys do.

My plan:

- AEV highline kit
- Either 2Ē OME kit or 3Ē Currie kit
- Dana 44 or 60 front/rear. Still researching. Will be on 35ís to start, but could go to 37ís later. Leaning towards 60 so I donít have to change it out later.
- 4.56 or 4.88 gears
- 35Ē Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar
- SYE
- Upgraded brakes. Need to do more research here.
- Upgraded exhaust system. Again, need more research.
- New front and rear bumper with tire carrier
- Custom rock sliders that will fold down when I hit my alarm button to act as a step. Will basically be like the auto steps we all know, but theyíll fold up instead of down and under and will look like a classic rock slider.

All of this wonít be cheap so itíll take several months to get it all done. Will probably do the highline kit and the lift kit all at one time and then come back a couple weeks later and do the axles/gears/tires. I would say Iíd slap the new tires on at the same time I do the lift and highline, but I have 3.07 gears as of now and thatíd just be a nightmare. They already suck on 31ís.

Now I am sure Iím missing things that I donít even know exists. Some of the above could change based off me learning about other options, too. This is a ballpark template, though. I know 99% of people here wonít care about how a newb is throwing together a rig. I get that. This is more for me to document everything Iíve done for myself. If you guys would like to chime in with suggestions and opinions on what Iím doing right and wrong, Iím all ears. Hell, this might turn into a community build.
Unread 07-18-2011, 08:58 AM   #3
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Very interested to see where this goes, music was the first thing I did on my jeep. Couldn't stand the stock stereo

Sent from my DROIDX using JeepForum
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2011, 09:04 AM   #4
dblplay1212
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper3494 View Post
Very interested to see where this goes, music was the first thing I did on my jeep. Couldn't stand the stock stereo

Sent from my DROIDX using JeepForum
Same here. I listen to a lot of talk radio and I just couldn't hear it on the interstate. Drove me nuts. Everyone has different wants and needs from their Jeeps. Seems like most here (at least those that post a lot) are 99% worried about having their rig better off-road. That's cool for them, just not for me. I hope most are cool with someone having a different idea of how to "build" a Jeep that isn't just about off-road capabilities.
Unread 07-18-2011, 10:16 AM   #5
dblplay1212
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Oh yea, also planning on adding the Truck-Lite LED headlights. That might be one of the 1st things I do, actually. Not this weekend, but the following.

http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs...4057&langId=-1

I'm sure some will say they are a waste of money, but I don't care on this one. I think they look cool.
Unread 07-18-2011, 11:22 AM   #6
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblplay1212 View Post
Same here. I listen to a lot of talk radio and I just couldn't hear it on the interstate. Drove me nuts. Everyone has different wants and needs from their Jeeps. Seems like most here (at least those that post a lot) are 99% worried about having their rig better off-road. That's cool for them, just not for me. I hope most are cool with someone having a different idea of how to "build" a Jeep that isn't just about off-road capabilities.
btw if your planning on going to 37s eventually id start looking for a set of 60s if thats what you are thinking. 44s are nice and all and most guys will tell them that 60s are overkill but id rather have peace of mind than run the risk of bustin a u joint. if i remember correctly the dana 44s have the same size u joint as the 30s so if 37s are in your future id deff go for 60s. on 35s and 60s youll drag ur diff all over the place tho but IMO its worth it

edit: also if you change your axles out you'll either have to get them shortened or you can run them really wide. most 60s are full widths and so are many 44s. just some food for thought
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
Unread 07-18-2011, 11:30 AM   #7
dblplay1212
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
btw if your planning on going to 37s eventually id start looking for a set of 60s if thats what you are thinking. 44s are nice and all and most guys will tell them that 60s are overkill but id rather have peace of mind than run the risk of bustin a u joint. if i remember correctly the dana 44s have the same size u joint as the 30s so if 37s are in your future id deff go for 60s. on 35s and 60s youll drag ur diff all over the place tho but IMO its worth it

edit: also if you change your axles out you'll either have to get them shortened or you can run them really wide. most 60s are full widths and so are many 44s. just some food for thought
Appreciate it as that's something I didn't know. I'm leaning towards the 60 bc, like you said, if I ever want to go bigger, it'd be good to have the 60 already there. I haven't done enough research to know how much more the 60 is going to cost than a 44, but if it's $500-$1000 more, I think it's worth it to do it now instead of having to come back later and start over. I'd rather have overkill on the 35's than have to do another swap a year from now. With the AEV highline kit, I can see myself easily going to 37's... just bc I can.
Unread 07-18-2011, 01:18 PM   #8
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblplay1212 View Post
Appreciate it as that's something I didn't know. I'm leaning towards the 60 bc, like you said, if I ever want to go bigger, it'd be good to have the 60 already there. I haven't done enough research to know how much more the 60 is going to cost than a 44, but if it's $500-$1000 more, I think it's worth it to do it now instead of having to come back later and start over. I'd rather have overkill on the 35's than have to do another swap a year from now. With the AEV highline kit, I can see myself easily going to 37's... just bc I can.
if you look hard enough you can find a set of 60s for cheaper than it would be to build a set of 44s anywhere near the same strength. im not sure what your budget is on axles, when i was looking i need a set quick and cheap so i just got 44s off a wagoneer. in hindsight i would have deff gone 60s. sorry if im commenting too much but your thread just really caught my attention for some reason
RC vs BDS
Unread 07-18-2011, 01:20 PM   #9
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...ont/index.html this is a great source of information. everything you could ever need to know about dana 60s
RC vs BDS
Unread 07-18-2011, 01:33 PM   #10
dblplay1212
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
if you look hard enough you can find a set of 60s for cheaper than it would be to build a set of 44s anywhere near the same strength. im not sure what your budget is on axles, when i was looking i need a set quick and cheap so i just got 44s off a wagoneer. in hindsight i would have deff gone 60s. sorry if im commenting too much but your thread just really caught my attention for some reason
haha. Don't ever apologize for commenting. I need all the help I can get. As for budget, I really haven't set aside a certain number and said that's my limit or anything. When I bought the TJ, it was supposed to be a 2nd vehicle. I'd wanted it since I was in HS. I quickly realized that I wasn't driving my Range Rover at all. After driving the RR twice in 3 months, I got out of it and just have the TJ now. That free'd up a good chunk of cash a month that I wasn't expecting. I can probably comfortably put $2k a month into the TJ. So I guess I don't really have an overall budget, just a monthly budget. The more I put into her the longer it'll take to get done.

A buddy in my club is going to help me in finding the axles. I know where to look and all, but I have no idea what is in good shape and what is junk. He's kinda holding my hand through that part of it at no cost other than me buying the beer. Are some 60's better than other 60's? And after I buy them, what should I expect to put into them to refab them? $1000 each a good guess?
Unread 07-18-2011, 01:34 PM   #11
dblplay1212
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...ont/index.html this is a great source of information. everything you could ever need to know about dana 60s
Welp, there goes my evening.
Unread 07-18-2011, 01:46 PM   #12
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

ford dana 60s are what your gonna want to go for they have a drivers side diff like the wranglers. after you get brackets and everything and all in good shape i think 1000 per axle is a decent estimate. if your friend is a good welder it'll be less. i spent a total of about 600 on my 44s that includes buying and getting them back into shape, so spending 1000 per after purchase will give you a very nice set of axles i think if you and your friends do the work instead of taking it to a shop
RC vs BDS
Unread 07-18-2011, 02:03 PM   #13
dblplay1212
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
ford dana 60s are what your gonna want to go for they have a drivers side diff like the wranglers. after you get brackets and everything and all in good shape i think 1000 per axle is a decent estimate. if your friend is a good welder it'll be less. i spent a total of about 600 on my 44s that includes buying and getting them back into shape, so spending 1000 per after purchase will give you a very nice set of axles i think if you and your friends do the work instead of taking it to a shop
Ok, good to know I was in the right ballpark. Several of the guys have offered to help. A good bit of the stuff may end up being done by us in group projects. We all have a great time hanging out, so I can buy a keg and everyone can hang out while ripping my rig apart over the course of a day. Would love to get he axles done (minus the gears) and the lift done in a buddy's garage as opposed to paying a shop. Not sure how tough the AEV kit is to put on. Not sure if that'll be a shop thing or a garage thing. I assume the $1k is without gears, or does that include the $700 or whatever for gears? Just trying to get a rough number of what I'll probably be spending if I go with 60 front and back. And how much would I save if I went 44's?

Sorry for all the questions. I was going to do all of this research, but you seem knowledgeable and it's easier just to ask you haha.
Unread 07-18-2011, 02:16 PM   #14
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-132...ars-yukon.html

gears can be found for a pretty wide variety of prices some higher than this some lower. if your friends can do gears thats a big help, they're not terribly hard but some shops will charge you out the *** for it. it depends on what kind of shape you find the axle in, if you find one with good bearings, rotors. basically if stuff works it'll be easier on you. and cheaper. id say 2000 per axle including purchase and gears would build you a pretty serious set. give or take a few hundred. brackets aren't real expensive, you can find brackets for both axles for probably around 400. you'll save quite a bit of money if you do 44s, parts are cheaper but also they're not near as strong. if you want to make a 44 as strong as a 60 you'll be spending about even, maybe even a little more on the 44 because hardcore axle shafts aren't cheap
RC vs BDS
Unread 07-18-2011, 02:19 PM   #15
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

and the highline kit looks like it can probably be installed pretty easily in your garage
RC vs BDS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.