Dawg's TJ build thread - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Dawg's TJ build thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 02-23-2014, 09:24 PM   #31
Thedawgshow
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Man, let me tell you I can not wait to get back to work on this TJ tomorrow. No, I don't get to do anything as cool as adding a new winch or anything, but getting it really mechanically sound is even more important.

Tomorrows to do list?

New windshield

Drain and refill transfer case (found water in it when I drained it the first time)

Install new serpentine (drive) belt

Install new transmission mount

Tear down brake calipers and see what is going on. If all goes well, install new pads.

I am a little worried about guide pins, piston and knuckle situation, and can only imagine what I am going to find.

My pappy was a pistol, I'm a son of a gun.
Thedawgshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2014, 09:56 PM   #32
Thedawgshow
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I finally had the time to Drain and refill the transfer case, install the new brake pads, transmission mount, and new serpentine belt.

Now I am ready to spend the money on some mods. First thing I think I will do is take off those milk jugs and install some flat ends to the bumpers!!!

Unread 03-03-2014, 10:10 PM   #33
Thedawgshow
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ohhhhh.... almost forgot. I washed all that nasty salt and grime from the snows and waxed the heck out of it too.

Unread 03-06-2014, 09:52 PM   #34
Thedawgshow
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Got the fan switch knob in the mail today and put it on. I really need to get to work on those milk jugs and get them off of there and order those caps for the bumpers. Also been looking at what to do with those tie rod ends and I think I figured it out. A ZJ/TJ tie rod mod and new ball joints should do the trick I think. Now all I have to do is figure out a way to make a little side money to pay for it so I don't aggravate the better half too much!!!!

Unread 03-06-2014, 10:25 PM   #35
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Dealing with rust isn't fun....it.Will show up in all kinds of places

...I'm.currently still.in the rust eradication process

Sent by a messenger bird
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2014, 10:45 PM   #36
Thedawgshow
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwrangler97 View Post
Dealing with rust isn't fun....it.Will show up in all kinds of places

...I'm.currently still.in the rust eradication process

Sent by a messenger bird
That in it's self will be a summer long project. Good luck!!!!

Unread 03-06-2014, 10:56 PM   #37
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedawgshow View Post

That in it's self will be a summer long project. Good luck!!!!
I've already tackled replacing since body mounts on the tub, coating the outside of the frame & the inside of the tub....now into a little bit of the tub that's boxed in & the inside of the frame!

& of course all the little bits & pieces that get rust

Sent by a messenger bird
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2014, 01:15 PM   #38
jepperz
1997 TJ Wrangler 

This looks sweet I always like seeing 97 TJ with the pearlcoat blue... (thats what mine is). but getting to put all the actual build stuff on is the fun part. good luck!!
jepperz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2014, 03:13 PM   #39
Thedawgshow
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jepperz View Post
This looks sweet I always like seeing 97 TJ with the pearlcoat blue... (thats what mine is). but getting to put all the actual build stuff on is the fun part. good luck!!
Hahahahaha!!!! Yes, there are some parts under there that are going to be quite hard to get apart for sure. And then not to break the part it is attached too!!!! It is going to be an interesting project, my my sons and I can not wait to really get started.

Unread 03-16-2014, 08:15 PM   #40
Thedawgshow
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I have ordered the Crown Automotive Heavy Duty steering kit ordered and should be in this week. This is a ZJ tie rod with ends and a stock rag link. Also comes with a steering stabilizer shock too. Now I need to look at getting the u-joints and ball joints so I can replace it all at the same time.

Here is a link to the kit, but I got it for under $200.00 from my local 4Wheelparts store.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Brakes-St...n=CROHDSTRGCR4

Unread 03-20-2014, 10:48 PM   #41
Thedawgshow
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well, the Crown HD steering kit got here today and I picked up some Spicer u-joints for the front axle too. Now just have to save up enough for those joints and find enough time to put it all on. Might want to wait and see about putting a new front wheel hub and bearing assembly at the same time too while I am in there. After all, it is a 97 and all original. That is a few hundred dollars more though and don't know if I can have the patience to wait that long to put this stuff on.

Just Empty Every Pocket. Yep, this is my new addiction!!!!!

Unread 04-07-2014, 09:41 PM   #42
Thedawgshow
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I still have not put on the new steering system or the u-joints, but the weather finally was nice enough to take off the top and doors for the first time.

Unread 04-15-2014, 10:03 PM   #43
Thedawgshow
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So I did my first official, although not a big deal mod the other day. I removed the milk jugs that were on the front bumper. Now since this is a 97 TJ and those jugs have been on there for 17 years or so, this did not go as planned.

I decided to use some PB blaster on the screw heads in hopes that it would work it's way down to the clamp type nut. This did not work though and as I turned the torx screw, I ripped the nuts right through the plastic jugs. So it was time to bring in the heavy artillery and out came my reciprocating saw. I cut the jugs off right by the bumper and then cut a little around the screws to get the rest of the plastic out. Screws are still in there, but I will leave that for a different day.

Unread 04-15-2014, 10:06 PM   #44
Thedawgshow
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well, with my last Differential fluid change, my D35 is now leaking and I think it is because I did not torque the bolts correctly. Non-the-less, I decided to replace the old cork gasket and I went and purchased a Lube Locker gasket.

After looking around a little on the internet, I went down to the local 4Wheel Parts store and purchased it for the on-line price.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrai...pn=LULLLR-D035

So now I have collected quite a bit of new stuff to put on the ol' 97 and we are not through yet.

Here is the list of stuff waiting to go on.....

.Crown HD Steering kit including stabilizer
.Spicer 5-760 u-joints for the front axle
.Lubelocker D35 gasket

Next purchase I think will be ball joints at about $100.00 for both sides and both lowers and uppers, hub/bearing assembly at about $170.00 each side, pick up a new fuel tank skid/support plate for around $200.00, and figure out what I am going to do with the corroded fuel return line.

Since it has been so long collecting all this stuff, when I do all these upgrades, I will also now need to change the oil again, and drain and fill the transfer case one more time.

Unread 05-11-2014, 07:38 PM   #45
Thedawgshow
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I have been collecting the tools and parts to start with the build for a while now, and it is getting close to really start on it.

I have taken off the milk jugs from the front bumper

I have collected the Crown HD steering kit, replacement poly grease boots for the tie rod ends, and front axle u-joints.

the right tools to get underneath it. Jack stands, floor jack, and creeper.

A new drill, wire brushes and safety goggles to get the rust off the underside.

This should keep me busy for a little while, but would really like to get new hub assemblies, and new ball joints while I am doing the u-joints.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.