Parts should hopefully be coming in later this week. Started off by ordering the three inch lift from Rusty's. It was the only kit that really fit the budget and gave me full spring packs. Ordered MTR clones from Treadwright, and will be speaking with JCR offroad tomorrow.
Should be fun.
As usual, lemme know if you need extra hands!
NINJA EDIT: ...For this or the TJ.
2003 WJ Ltd, 3" IRO w/ OTK + JKS discos, 245/70R17 BFG KM2s, JCR sliders, ProtoFab rear bumper, lots of electrical mods.
my build thread; my Jeep, my Twitter, my blog.
I really have the itch to get started but can't really until after the long weekend. I have a wedding to go to and am probably going to be driving one of the XJ's leaving the other one for my wife to drive.
Maybe I will put on the two hooks to night to satisfy my craving.
I got back from my trip last night and started work on the XJ. I put the front end up on jack stands and started removing the sway bar links. The links promptly disintegrated so I just pulled the whole thing off and out of the way.
JeepWJ came over about the time I was removing the shocks so I promptly sent him out for beer. "Garage Beer" I asked for. Hamms, PBR, HighLife. He came back about 10 minutes later with a six pack of PBR Silo cans.
My goal for the night was to get the front end torn down, not necessarily finish it. I figured I would need a spring compressor to get the new springs in.
We actually didn't need the compressor and installing the lift springs was actually the easiest thing I did all night.
We got everything bolted back in place. The toe-in is off by a lot so I will have to do a simple alignment to correct that. Hoping to get the rear spring packs installed this evening.
As a side note. My love for Hamm's started in 2006 when I was teaching at a school in St. Paul that used to be the Corporate headquarters for the Theo Hamm Brewing Company. That is where I first found out about the bear. I am also an avid Hamm's breweriana collector.
JeepWJ, another guy, and the president of our club came over yesterday to help out with the leaf springs.
Before they had gotten there I had already removed the shocks. It took a long time to finagle the springs out of there. Wisconsin is not kind to vehicles.
I still have to make up some bar pin eliminators and install the rear shocks but it is looking a lot better already. It has some serious rake right now. Hopefully the rear springs will wear in a bit. If not I will throw some daystar spacers up front.
Tires will be here tomorrow. Will probably be a couple days before they are mounted. Stay tuned.
If you didn't say anything, I would have commented on the rake. I wonder if you got the right springs, or is this a known issue with Rusty's lifts?
There was a comma in there. Maybe you missed it. (fixed it for clairity) The springs should settle a bit once I start driving it. Then add the steel bumper and gas skid and it should help bring it down some.
So I wanted to write a bit on the Bar Pin Eliminators (BPE) that I am going to be making for the XJ.
I was advised of this great idea by a club member. The link above is a pretty good write up. I am doing the BPE mod because the upper shock bolts were rusted badly and no amount of PB blaster was going to save them.
So I snapped them off and will be drilling some new holes into the K-Frame to mount the shocks. I will be able to get inside the frame from an access hole to place the bolts in and I will use a lot of anti-seize on them.
Pictures and my own write up of the mod will be posted once the Mrs. lets me go back to the garage to finish it. I have been washing a lot of baby clothes lately in preparation for our new arrival.