"Dark Blue" XJ - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > "Dark Blue" XJ

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Magnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High ClearanRCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.com

Unread 08-30-2010, 05:55 PM   #46
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducksguts View Post
Parts should hopefully be coming in later this week. Started off by ordering the three inch lift from Rusty's. It was the only kit that really fit the budget and gave me full spring packs. Ordered MTR clones from Treadwright, and will be speaking with JCR offroad tomorrow.

Should be fun.
As usual, lemme know if you need extra hands!

NINJA EDIT: ...For this or the TJ.

Unread 08-30-2010, 06:16 PM   #47
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepWJ View Post
For this or the TJ.
Lift and tires for the Cherokee. Steering for the TJ will come in a bit. I want to get started on this. Tow hook brackets coming too.

Check out my Classifieds
theducksguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2010, 06:36 PM   #48
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Tow hook brackets coming too.

Well, lemme know if you need the extra hands.
Unread 09-01-2010, 10:36 AM   #49
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Santa came early today!

I really have the itch to get started but can't really until after the long weekend. I have a wedding to go to and am probably going to be driving one of the XJ's leaving the other one for my wife to drive.

Maybe I will put on the two hooks to night to satisfy my craving.

Check out my Classifieds

Last edited by theducksguts; 09-01-2010 at 11:54 AM..
Unread 09-01-2010, 08:47 PM   #50
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

This is all the progress I have made so far today. Had to make dinner, walk the dog, clean up the house, and put away my Legos before the Mrs. would let me go to the garage to play.

Took me longer than I expected to install them. I took the front fascia grill and obviously the bumper off just to give me a little more space to work on it. I think it turned out well.

Check out my Classifieds
Unread 09-03-2010, 09:15 AM   #51
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Treadwright Guard Dog MTR's should be here on Wednesday.

Check out my Classifieds
Unread 09-06-2010, 08:09 AM   #52
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I got back from my trip last night and started work on the XJ. I put the front end up on jack stands and started removing the sway bar links. The links promptly disintegrated so I just pulled the whole thing off and out of the way.

JeepWJ came over about the time I was removing the shocks so I promptly sent him out for beer. "Garage Beer" I asked for. Hamms, PBR, HighLife. He came back about 10 minutes later with a six pack of PBR Silo cans.

My goal for the night was to get the front end torn down, not necessarily finish it. I figured I would need a spring compressor to get the new springs in.
We actually didn't need the compressor and installing the lift springs was actually the easiest thing I did all night.

We got everything bolted back in place. The toe-in is off by a lot so I will have to do a simple alignment to correct that. Hoping to get the rear spring packs installed this evening.

Check out my Classifieds
Unread 09-06-2010, 09:36 AM   #53
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

The guy at the store looked at me like I was nuts when I asked for Hamm's. He was like, 'check the meat section?'

From the land of sky blue waters......

YouTube - Hamms Beer Commercial - Vintage Black and White

Beer refreshing! Mmmmm.....Hamm's!

OK, I'll stop polluting your thread now
Unread 09-06-2010, 11:28 AM   #54
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

As a side note. My love for Hamm's started in 2006 when I was teaching at a school in St. Paul that used to be the Corporate headquarters for the Theo Hamm Brewing Company. That is where I first found out about the bear. I am also an avid Hamm's breweriana collector.

I have that jingle as a ring tone on my phone.

Check out my Classifieds
Unread 09-07-2010, 06:10 AM   #55
-Shoey-
2003 KJ Liberty 

Looks good, glad the wreck didn't screw you XJ up much.
USN Jeep Club #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt.Fuzz View Post
On a 1-10 scale, I give it.... Tits.
-Shoey- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2010, 06:52 AM   #56
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

JeepWJ, another guy, and the president of our club came over yesterday to help out with the leaf springs.

Before they had gotten there I had already removed the shocks. It took a long time to finagle the springs out of there. Wisconsin is not kind to vehicles.

I still have to make up some bar pin eliminators and install the rear shocks but it is looking a lot better already. It has some serious rake right now. Hopefully the rear springs will wear in a bit. If not I will throw some daystar spacers up front.

Tires will be here tomorrow. Will probably be a couple days before they are mounted. Stay tuned.

Check out my Classifieds
Unread 09-07-2010, 08:03 AM   #57
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
JeepWJ, the president of our club, and another guy came over yesterday to help out with the leaf springs.
I'm the president of our club?! LOL

If you didn't say anything, I would have commented on the rake. I wonder if you got the right springs, or is this a known issue with Rusty's lifts?
Unread 09-07-2010, 08:29 AM   #58
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepWJ View Post
I'm the president of our club?! LOL

If you didn't say anything, I would have commented on the rake. I wonder if you got the right springs, or is this a known issue with Rusty's lifts?
There was a comma in there. Maybe you missed it. (fixed it for clairity) The springs should settle a bit once I start driving it. Then add the steel bumper and gas skid and it should help bring it down some.

If not, spacers in the front.

Check out my Classifieds
Unread 09-08-2010, 02:06 PM   #59
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Bar Pin Eliminators

So I wanted to write a bit on the Bar Pin Eliminators (BPE) that I am going to be making for the XJ.

I was advised of this great idea by a club member. The link above is a pretty good write up. I am doing the BPE mod because the upper shock bolts were rusted badly and no amount of PB blaster was going to save them.

So I snapped them off and will be drilling some new holes into the K-Frame to mount the shocks. I will be able to get inside the frame from an access hole to place the bolts in and I will use a lot of anti-seize on them.

Pictures and my own write up of the mod will be posted once the Mrs. lets me go back to the garage to finish it. I have been washing a lot of baby clothes lately in preparation for our new arrival.

Check out my Classifieds
Unread 09-09-2010, 12:12 PM   #60
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Treadwright GuardDog MT/R's

I received my Treadwright tires today. 31/10.5 on 15 inch rim. BFG AT KO 3ply radial casings. All matching and looking great. Here are some pictures for evaluation.

My XJ bumper also came today. Which was a surprise because it wasn't supposed to come at all. I was supposed to pick it up from JCR in Kalamazoo MI. It was a tight fit in the TJ.

Check out my Classifieds

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.