"Dark Blue" XJ - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > "Dark Blue" XJ

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 08-18-2010, 12:07 PM   #31
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducksguts View Post
About 8 inches long now.

sigh...

Quote:
Apparently the owner of the other vehicle is not insured...
That really sucks man.....but on a lighter note, does that mean you're going to sue him, or just build a steel bumper?

Unread 08-18-2010, 12:59 PM   #32
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepWJ View Post

That really sucks man.....but on a lighter note, does that mean you're going to sue him, or just build a steel bumper?
I'm letting AmFam take care of it. They think they found out where their insurance is out of and it might be active. Which would be good because I don't trust these people. They haven't said one true thing in thing or provided any accurate information since this whole thing happened. So glad I wrote down the license plate number.

Check out my Classifieds
theducksguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2010, 01:17 PM   #33
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
About 8 inches long now.

sigh...
that's what she said

Check out my Classifieds
Unread 08-18-2010, 02:27 PM   #34
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
that's what she said
So you got the then....wow, that's really sad to hear about the people who hit you. It pisses me off to no end when people don't feel the need to display common decency...politeness, truthfulness, etc.
Unread 08-18-2010, 03:10 PM   #35
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I think that is the thing that bothered me the most. That someone would be so dishonest. I mean, if you don't have insurance just say so. Don't give me fake information, and assume that I am going to give up and never find you. Now the Police have to be involved because you lied.

Check out my Classifieds
Unread 08-18-2010, 03:12 PM   #36
tofuzeppelin

2001 TJ Wrangler 

rough on the rear end man but i'm guessing that the other car took a bigger hit? and same here with getting rear ended and having the most of the hit so at least its good for something out side a tow point.

Still thinking about Hood Vents at all?

WTB TJ hard top, let me know what cha got
tofuzeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2010, 03:15 PM   #37
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofuzeppelin View Post
rough on the rear end man but i'm guessing that the other car took a bigger hit? and same here with getting rear ended and having the most of the hit so at least its good for something out side a tow point.

Still thinking about Hood Vents at all?
Other vehicle was a 02 KJ limited. It actually held together pretty well. I think they punctured their radiator though. I didn't mention anything...

Still thinking hood vents. Possibly Lebaron. Maybe aftermarket. I don't know yet. I have other things on my plate right now.

Check out my Classifieds
Unread 08-20-2010, 08:59 AM   #38
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quick update for the 3 or so people that are following this build that doesn't seem to be going very quickly.

Had to file an uninsured motorist claim. The other guy is being a and won't give any information so I turned it over to my insurance to go after him.

Estimate will be done on Monday. My only real concern would be damage to the uni-frame bumper mounts. Otherwise I will be cutting that sucker off and going with a steel rear bumper with tire swing.

Hoping the estimate will cover that. If not, maybe axe the tire swing.

Thing should start happening on this build within the next week or so.

Check out my Classifieds
Unread 08-20-2010, 10:42 AM   #39
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

w00t w00t w00t! Lemme know if you need help!!
Unread 08-23-2010, 01:43 PM   #40
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I got my estimate done this morning and am likely to get a check around 500 dollars. The body shop said the damage would cost about 1000 to bring it back to pre-injury form. I'm not going to pay my 500 dollar deductible and just hope to get reimbursed if the insurance company gets this guy, or his insurance (???) to pay them.

So I will take the money and run. Not quite enough to get the JCR rear bumper/tire carrier that I wanted, but enough to get a sweet aftermarket one none the less. I might just cough up the extra cash to get the tire swing. Who knows.

I went about pulling the old unit off. After hacking and banging for a while I was getting tired and needed an extra hand. I put my TJ to work and used the winch to hold the bumper up while I was able to unbolt it. Don't worry, there isn't hardly any tension on the line, it is just holding it.

I figure I should start buying stock in PB Blaster because by the time I get this thing built I will have gone through a lot of it. It works amazingly though.

The hatch is a bit screwed up. I had to unbolt the striker from the bottom to get it loose. I'm going to have to open that up and take it apart to see what needs to be done.

Taking a break right now from the heat. Next will be removing the last bolt that is soaking in PB right now and to get to work on the receiver hitch, which will likely just need to be cut off.

New nut strips here I come.

Check out my Classifieds
Unread 08-23-2010, 03:44 PM   #41
johnburden
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Need to inscribe on that shiny new bumper "For you @$$es that cant drive" just so its stamped in their car when they hit it.
johnburden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2010, 04:09 PM   #42
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnburden View Post
Need to inscribe on that shiny new bumper "For you @$$es that cant drive" just so its stamped in their car when they hit it.
I'm going to have a big sharp receiver hitch sticking out for that.

Check out my Classifieds
Unread 08-23-2010, 07:18 PM   #43
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
I'm going to have a big sharp receiver hitch sticking out for that.
Gimme a metal lathe and I'll make you a ton of what we used to call instant-badass spikes for the bumper. I figure if they're about 4 inches long, that'll scare other drivers away from your bumper!!
Unread 08-24-2010, 07:26 PM   #44
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I needed to get out of the house tonight so I went over to JeepWJ's place to work on the electric fan switch that both wouldn't turn on, and was throwing a CEL.

Turns out that when I did the last radiator I didn't have it plugged in all the way. So that would be me just being dumb and putting off looking into it for a while.

From there we figured out it was a bad ground on the switch so we made a better one and tested. Couldn't get the CEL to throw so we patched it up and put it back together.

Aside from not having a rear bumper and being out of gas she is doing a bit better now.

Check out my Classifieds
Unread 08-30-2010, 03:18 PM   #45
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Parts should hopefully be coming in later this week. Started off by ordering the three inch lift from Rusty's. It was the only kit that really fit the budget and gave me full spring packs. Ordered MTR clones from Treadwright, and will be speaking with JCR offroad tomorrow.

Should be fun.

Check out my Classifieds

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.