Dan's Rusty Bucket O' Fun - 1955 Willys CJ5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Dan's Rusty Bucket O' Fun - 1955 Willys CJ5

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-01-2012, 06:24 PM   #1
DanHaga
1955 CJ5 

Dan's Rusty Bucket O' Fun - 1955 Willys CJ5

This weekend I brought home a 1955 Jeep Willys CJ5. I believe it has what is called the F-Head 4 cyl.

I have been driving a Jeep Compass as a daily driver for a while now but recently got turned onto real Jeeps while riding around and working on my buddies "farm jeeps". Had so much fun with them that I decided to get one of my own.

The jeep was a farm jeep in VA and previously owned by a service station and used to plow snow and pull cars around the lot.

The jeep runs and runs great if push-started but the electrical system is shot. Wont start on its own and nothing electrical works while its running. Getting the electrical system fixed will be my #1 task followed by fixing things that will get me a ticket driving around town. Get all lights working, add seatbelts, fix windshield crack, etc.

This will certainly be a long running project that I will keep updated here.

Here is the first photo:

DanHaga is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2012, 06:28 PM   #2
DanHaga
1955 CJ5 

For my first post I am just going to throw up some photos of the engine. I believe its what is called the F-Head 4 cyl. As someone that knows nothing about these yet Id say it looks mostly original (correct me if I am wrong). It has 6V electrical still. Looks like maybe the heater was added or modified.

Unread 05-01-2012, 06:30 PM   #3
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

WOW, this is gonna be good!!! That picture is great, it looks like a toy. What color are you going to paint it?
Unread 05-01-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
DanHaga
1955 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuder View Post
WOW, this is gonna be good!!! That picture is great, it looks like a toy. What color are you going to paint it?
Gotta think on that one. It'll be a long time before it happens but my first vision was a flat black.
Unread 05-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #5
en480c4
2012 JK Wrangler 

When I did the frame-up on my '62, I had great luck with the reproduction harness from Walck's. Wired it in just a few hours. They were a great resource for pretty much everything I needed for my early CJ-5 resto-mod.
Unread 05-06-2012, 02:19 PM   #6
DanHaga
1955 CJ5 

Got to spend a little time on this today. Got the plow removed and did some cleanup. Got it running too, its still not charging tho.

Removed the old heater, broken horn, misc wiring, broken throttle cable and plow controls. Doesn't get much simpler than this!

Vacuumed the interior but still needs some TLC!

With the plow removed.
Unread 05-20-2012, 05:52 PM   #7
DanHaga
1955 CJ5 

Decided to go with a 12V conversion and have been working on that. Started with ripping everything out that came out easily and did some serious cleaning. No more mud color! Also put in a new carb, coil, wires, plugs, etc.

Waiting on the starter to come back from the shop having been re wired for 12v and fighting with this "universal" alternator bracket. Started wiring the headlights too as I ripped out every last piece of that old wire in the jeep.

Unread 05-20-2012, 07:24 PM   #8
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I like it. Sub'd.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2012, 08:04 PM   #9
joeyk803c
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Such a nice classic Jeep.
joeyk803c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 07:24 AM   #10
DanHaga
1955 CJ5 

A before and after some cleaning!

Unread 05-28-2012, 04:44 PM   #11
DanHaga
1955 CJ5 

12V conversion nearly complete! The engine side of things is done but still have to do all the lights. Rewiring everything.

Got the starter converted to 12v. New alt, coil, plugs, wires, carb, wiring, grounds...

Unread 05-28-2012, 06:03 PM   #12
teamgreen666
1994 YJ Wrangler 

great start looks like a fun project.
teamgreen666 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #13
DanHaga
1955 CJ5 

Had a little setback as the new alternator was not charging. Turned out it was bad from the factory. Got a new replacement installed today and was relieved when my meter read around 14 volts!

My factory air filter box had a hole rusted in the bottom so I threw on a standard air filter. This shouldn't cause any problems should it? I just plugged the vacuum line that attached to the old air box.

Got all new lights and switched installed and rewired everything. Working headlights, brake lights, turn signals, etc. Almost ready to drive this thing around town!

Unread 06-14-2012, 09:06 AM   #14
Moon

What color is the outside now that it's cleaned? Under the hood it looks like an old green, but the outside looks blue/red with flakes of green chipped in. Those colors look great especially on an old Willy like that.
Moon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2012, 09:21 AM   #15
DanHaga
1955 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon View Post
What color is the outside now that it's cleaned? Under the hood it looks like an old green, but the outside looks blue/red with flakes of green chipped in. Those colors look great especially on an old Willy like that.
Looks like it was originally green than later painted red and than again blue. Now a mix of all three plus rust and primer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.