Danno's DD TJ Build - Page 87 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Danno's DD TJ Build

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 04-28-2014, 03:55 PM   #1291
84jeepcj7rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102
Thanks man! I'm happy with how it did. I rubbed it down a couple drops & actually hit the right side strap latch & bent the tab a little.
"I rubbed it down". Thought you were talkin about the red head for a second. Haha

84jeepcj7rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2014, 09:26 AM   #1292
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I suck at write-ups, but here goes.

This is a list of all the parts I used to install an RCI 2162A into a late model TJ.

RCI 2162A Fuel Cell
Artec RCI 2162A Fuel Cell Mount
Genright pump ring with new gasket
About a foot of 5/8” rubber hose, preferably something fuel resistant, but I just used heater hose as it was readily available & have not had any issues yet.
Hose clamps
Bypass Cap Assortment from auto parts store

I purchased these from Jegs
(1) RUS-640850 = EFI to 6 AN fitting
(1) RUS-640860 = Fuel Rail to 6 AN fitting
(1) RUS-671570 = Assembly Lube & Sealant Kit

I purchased all this from Summit
(2) FBM1012 = 6 AN Hose end straight
(1) FBM4033 = -8 90 Swivel hose end
(1) FBM3741 = -8 AN Flare Cap
SUM-230606 = 6 Ft of -6 S.S. braided hose
SUM-230806 = 6 Ft of -8 S.S. braided hose

Aeroquip fitting assembly instructions

First things first, I had the Genright ring TIG welded to the top of the fuel cell to eliminate a gasket & a potential spot for leaks. I positioned the ring as close to the center of the tank as possible. This removes one of the fittings that comes pre-attached to the fuel cell. If you position your ring so it does not remove this fitting, you will need an additional FBM3741 to cap it off.

Next step is to drain & remove your existing fuel tank. I will not cover this process. I’m sure there are adequate write-ups already on how to do this & if you can’t remove your fuel tank, you probably have no business installing a fuel cell by yourself.

Set the tank aside for now, we’ll come back & pillage it soon.
Next we need to locate the fuel cell in its desired resting place. When the 2162 is centered in the bed, the feet from the Artec mount fall directly on the stiffening ribs of the floor, so I shifted my cell slightly to the driver side to get it off of these humps.

I used generic replacement sway bar bushings found at my local auto parts store. Cheap & comes with the exact quantity we need, 8. The holes in the Artec mount are for ¼” bolts. I felt this seemed a little small so, I drilled out the holes & upgraded mine to 5/16” x 1 ½” bolts, flat washers & teflon lock nuts. I used all SS hardware.

Now, let’s get back to the old tank. We need to pillage a few things from it. The (2) lines that connect under the jeep coming back from the engine bay. Pull them out of the retainer clips with the gray evap valve.

& the large vent connector on the passenger side of the tank. Use a hack saw, or cutting instrument of choice, & cut it off as close to the vent body as possible & trim the excess plastic left from cutting it off the vent body to make a smooth tube.

Next you need to remove your fuel pump from the old tank. I used a large flat head screw driver & a dead blow & gently tapped it around in a counter clockwise direction. To remove it from the tank you need to tip the pump assembly. Be careful doing this, as the assembly will still be full of fuel.
Clean the inside of your new fuel cell thoroughly.

Install the fuel pump onto the Genright ring with the new gasket making sure the arrow on top of the pump assembly is pointing towards the front of the Jeep.

Using some sealant from the lube & sealant kit, install FBM3741 = -8 AN Flare Cap onto the fitting in the fuel cell that has the tube attached to it on the inside.

Next, take the FBM4033 = -8 90 Swivel hose end & loosely install it on the other fitting on the top of the cell. Take the tube you cut off the vent of the old tank & install it into large hose it was connected to on the gray evap valve located in the passenger rear fender well. Route the -8 SS Braided hose from the 90 down under the Jeep to the evap location to determine the length it needs to be cut. I routed mine through a hole located on the drivers side just behind my cell location. As seen here…

Use a small section of the 5/8” rubber hose. Slip one end on the tube you cut off the vent of the old tank that is connected to the gray evap valve & the other end over the end of the -8 SS braided hose. Secure each end with Hose clamps. It should now look similar to this.

Cut the -8 SS Braided hose to the required length to connect to the 90 fitting in the top of the fuel cell & assemble the hose & fitting according to Aeroquip instructions posted above.

Next assemble the fuel supply fittings.
RUS-640850 = EFI to 6 AN fitting to an FBM1012 = 6 AN Hose end straight
RUS-640860 = Fuel Rail to 6 AN fitting to the other FBM1012 = 6 AN Hose end straight

Connect the smaller fitting to the fuel pump & the larger fitting to the fuel line under the Jeep.

Route your -6 SS hose under the Jeep. I used a hole directly on the drivers side of the cell to route this hose & the electrical. As seen here.

This is how I routed the hose under the Jeep.

Cut the -6 SS Braided hose to the required length to connect to the fittings & assemble the hose & fittings according to Aeroquip instructions posted above.

Now we need to extend the wiring. I had enough wire on the plug under the Jeep to pull it into the cab. My FSM said the wire gauge was 18, but looked much large than the 18 gauge wire I had, so I ended up using 14 gauge I believe.

Next we need to secure all the evap lines running to the rear corner. I just zip tied them up across the back of the Jeep. Should be 3 lines total. The (2) we pillaged off the old tank & the -8 SS braided line.

Lastly we need to cap off two ports not used on the gray evap valve. I used a Bypass Cap Assortment found in the Help isle of my auto parts store. This is the one I used, there was another box of smaller caps that would have probably worked better.

Just cap off the unused ports & hose clamp them on good.

Connect the gray evap valve back into the pump & stuff it all back up in the wheel well.

That’s it. You should now be able to start the Jeep with no CEL.

"Evolution through carnage, the Jeep will keep what it needs."
Danno6102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2014, 11:32 AM   #1293
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That's the write-up I should've done but never did. Nicely done man, you may want to post that up all over the place. I'm sure many people will thank you.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2014, 11:34 AM   #1294
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Nice one Danno.... my jeep could see a cell in the future now that I don't really need 3 seats.
Unread 04-29-2014, 11:48 AM   #1295
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
That's the write-up I should've done but never did. Nicely done man, you may want to post that up all over the place. I'm sure many people will thank you.
Thanks guys! That's one reason I wanted to do some kind of a write up. There were a couple write ups on Pirate, but they were all lacking info &/or pictures. Kind of wish I would have taken some more pics to help visually explain the text a little better.

Unread 04-30-2014, 10:27 AM   #1296
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I did a little index work for the thread. I'm going to try to start doing some better write up stuff for the mods I do. I made a short index of what I feel are the more relevant things I've done & listed them in Post #1 with links to the starting posts fro each topic. Hope that helps someone out a bit. If anyone has something they're looking for let me know & I'll add it.

Unread 04-30-2014, 12:20 PM   #1297
g-rocc

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Do you have a total cost into that fuel cell? I like it and might need something like that...
g-rocc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2014, 12:22 PM   #1298
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-rocc View Post
Do you have a total cost into that fuel cell? I like it and might need something like that...
About $700 give or take a few bucks.

Unread 10-06-2014, 07:25 PM   #1299
B2CARPEN
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Nicely done write up and fuel cell, get rid of that rusty fuel tank skid and sell it to me lol

It's going to be quite some time before I get to this mod, I have other priorities at the current moment

I can't wait to get back out to you all and spend a weekend wheeling, it's crazy how much I've missed it and you guys

IndyORV
B2CARPEN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2014, 07:45 PM   #1300
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2CARPEN
Nicely done write up and fuel cell, get rid of that rusty fuel tank skid and sell it to me lol It's going to be quite some time before I get to this mod, I have other priorities at the current moment I can't wait to get back out to you all and spend a weekend wheeling, it's crazy how much I've missed it and you guys
Thanks bud! Skids already sold. It'll probably be a long time before you wheel with me again. We've moved to NC. Wilmington. It's the beach, so not much wheeling that's close. On another note. My 4 link stretch should be starting on a few weeks. Hopefully I can pick up my coil overs in a couple weeks too.

Unread 10-06-2014, 08:00 PM   #1301
kellerumps
See Ya Coach.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102 View Post
It'll probably be a long time before you wheel with me again. We've moved to NC. Wilmington. It's the beach, so not much wheeling that's close.

Find something somewhere and I will load up and head that way.

Member of: IndyOrv
kellerumps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2014, 08:01 PM   #1302
B2CARPEN
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks bud! Skids already sold. It'll probably be a long time before you wheel with me again. We've moved to NC. Wilmington. It's the beach, so not much wheeling that's close. On another note. My 4 link stretch should be starting on a few weeks. Hopefully I can pick up my coil overs in a couple weeks too.
Oh man, well thank goodness for JF where we are all interconnected

Hope life is good for you out in NC, we will need to plan something down the road, maybe next year. I'm building a stroker motor so I'm out of commission for another month at minimum.

IndyORV
B2CARPEN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2014, 07:18 AM   #1303
joshr1987

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If you ever want to get together and wheel let me know. I am in Greensboro NC.
joshr1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2014, 08:48 PM   #1304
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Finally made it out into the garage to do some wrenching on the jeep. Spent a few minutes with the 4 link calculator & the ARTEC brackets plotting all the pick up points. Came out pretty good. I still have one more hole up & down on the upper arms to play with the AS. I can get 86% & 113% ish.

Started removing the rear axle. I'll have a few parts of for grabs after I get them all removed, inspected & cleaned. Savvy upper arms, Savvy rear bump stops, Currie front springs, Bilstein shocks, etc.

I also did some work on these sweet hunks of metal! Poison Spyder High Line Defenders with Zero flare & their new vented aluminum inners. Too bad I'll have to chop up the inners a bit for the coil overs. These things are flawless. Everything mounted up perfectly & all holes lined up in both inner & outer fenders. Now the trick is mounting all the underhood stuff. Still debating on doing a Hendrix style hood or just the edge trim. Probably stick with the edge trim unless I run out of money & I'm bored.

Unread 11-19-2014, 08:57 PM   #1305
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Nice, fenders are dope!

Tags
caliper flip , ford 8.8 , indyorv , outboard , tube fenders

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.