Danno's DD TJ Build - Page 80 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Danno's DD TJ Build

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 03-21-2014, 06:28 PM   #1186
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Also I would not cut up your current Jeep. Provided you want to race stock mod I would hunt down a salvage frame and partial tub All you want from the frame is from the motor mounts back to where the rear control arms attach. For the tub you want a straight firewall and sides to just past the door opening. Everything else tube work and aluminum sheetmetal for floor, tunnel and what not. Essentially you want to built a mostly tube buggy that resembles a TJ, CJ or whatever. Gives you less built constraints and saves a ton of weight. Less, weight means less power needed to go fast.

Unread 03-21-2014, 07:07 PM   #1187
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Also I would not cut up your current Jeep. Provided you want to race stock mod I would hunt down a salvage frame and partial tub
This is excellent advice if you are considering Mod class. The builds are getting out of hand in a hurry. To be competitive you would have to cut it up till there is nothing really left except half the frame and a few pieces of sheet metal anyway and you have a nice, clean wheeling Jeep right now.
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2014, 07:54 PM   #1188
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

My only advise is to ask yourself if you have that much extra money. When I factored in my kids expenses for high school, a couple mild vacations we take, normal wheeling trips, and general luxuries we are able to enjoy...... It would all have to go bye bye in order to build the race jeep. That just tells me the timing isn't right.
Unread 03-21-2014, 08:32 PM   #1189
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLYNER View Post
Most people estimate $5k to $7k for the parts needed just to pass Ultra4 tech inspection (not race, but tech).

Stock is BY FAR the most economical way to go-
Cage
Fuel system
Shocks
Coils
Seats
Harnesses
Belts
GPS
Pumpers
Motor mounts
Axles
Sway bars
Helmet
safety restraints
Race suit
Radios
Tuning
Spare tires
Lights
Helmet comm system
Recovery gear, tools
Spares
Control arms (suitable for racing)
Belly armor
Airbumps

Mod Class is a lot of the same, but then you get into suspension (C/As), Coilovers, bypasses, transfer cases, engine swaps, etc.

Then budget $6k to $10k just to compete in the KOH EMC if you are East Coast (depending on how big your entourage is ).

I'd start seeing what you can source and what is worth saving for new. Similar to Art, I sold everything attached to my jeep to help offset the cost of a lot of the new parts. I'm sure I left a ton off of that list, but it's a decent start.

I'd love to see your jeep out there!
I think I had most of that stuff on my list. I would definitely be hitting the pirate classifieds hard for anything I could. Some of the stuff on that list I already have done, cage, I'd probably have to make a few tweaks to meet rules, but nothing major, seats, belts.

Quote:
Also I would not cut up your current Jeep. Provided you want to race stock mod I would hunt down a salvage frame and partial tub All you want from the frame is from the motor mounts back to where the rear control arms attach. For the tub you want a straight firewall and sides to just past the door opening. Everything else tube work and aluminum sheetmetal for floor, tunnel and what not. Essentially you want to built a mostly tube buggy that resembles a TJ, CJ or whatever. Gives you less built constraints and saves a ton of weight. Less, weight means less power needed to go fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post
This is excellent advice if you are considering Mod class. The builds are getting out of hand in a hurry. To be competitive you would have to cut it up till there is nothing really left except half the frame and a few pieces of sheet metal anyway and you have a nice, clean wheeling Jeep right now.
If I had a shop or garage large enough to set a chassis up & work on it over a year or more, I might go that route. However, I see HurleyGo as the perfect example of what I think the EMC should be, so I'd like to keep most of the frame & tub. A lot of the things I would need to do to race, I want to do to the rig for everyday wheeling anyway, 4 link, 3 link, front axle, 37s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
My only advise is to ask yourself if you have that much extra money. When I factored in my kids expenses for high school, a couple mild vacations we take, normal wheeling trips, and general luxuries we are able to enjoy...... It would all have to go bye bye in order to build the race jeep. That just tells me the timing isn't right.
I hear you. We should have all our debt paid off this fall, so that should free up some cash to work towards this. My plan is within 5 years, so even if it took me 5, that'd be $4-$5 grand per year to get there. That's reasonably doable.

I'll post what I had for a list in a few.

"Evolution through carnage, the Jeep will keep what it needs."
Danno6102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2014, 08:49 PM   #1190
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Here is what I had figured to put together a first year racer. Obviously we'd strengthen weak links & upgrade other things for the second year.

Front axle, Fab 9" = $6,000
Chromo the 8.8 superior c-clip eliminator kit, should be ok for first year, add fab 9" second year = $600
Fuel cell, dual internal pumps, walbro pick ups, baffles, etc. = $1,500
PSC Hydro assist full kit = $1,800
Borgeson steering shafts = $600
3 link, 4 link, stretch = $1,500
2.5" coilovers, add bypass second year = $3,000
Air bumps = $1,000
Beadlocks = $1,500
Tires = $2,000
Freshen drivetrain = $2,000

Total = $19,500 I'd honestly be happy just getting it here to wheel it hard, racing would be a plus.

Race specific equipment
GPS = $800
Intercom = $1,000
Air Pumpers = $400
Suit = $300
Helmet = $500

Total = $3,000

Obviously a lot of small stuff I'm forgetting or leaving out that will add up quick. I can see all that doable in 3 years.

Unread 03-21-2014, 09:40 PM   #1191
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102 View Post
I think I had most of that stuff on my list. I would definitely be hitting the pirate classifieds hard for anything I could. Some of the stuff on that list I already have done, cage, I'd probably have to make a few tweaks to meet rules, but nothing major, seats, belts.

If I had a shop or garage large enough to set a chassis up & work on it over a year or more, I might go that route. However, I see HurleyGo as the perfect example of what I think the EMC should be, so I'd like to keep most of the frame & tub. A lot of the things I would need to do to race, I want to do to the rig for everyday wheeling anyway, 4 link, 3 link, front axle, 37s.

I hear you. We should have all our debt paid off this fall, so that should free up some cash to work towards this. My plan is within 5 years, so even if it took me 5, that'd be $4-$5 grand per year to get there. That's reasonably doable.

I'll post what I had for a list in a few.

Also do not forget that wifey doesn't necessarily likes being a Jeep widow.
These things take tons and tons of time to build which is wy it's better to built a second vehicle. So you can go wheeling in the mean time, do not have to rush anything. built the frame and tub, then do parts of the drivetrain as money allows.
Unread 03-22-2014, 06:58 AM   #1192
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I had a couple spare minutes to look over the rig from last weekends trip. Found some minor carnage.

Must have hit a rock right on the TRE locking clamp & spun it into my stabilizer...again! It actually punctured the can this time. It's normally pointing straight down. I'm thinking of relocating the stabilizer to somewhere less vulnerable. Like I said this has happened before & I can see it happening again & at $50 a pop for a new stabilizer it's not something I want to continue to happen. I'm not a big fan of those clamps on that tie rod. They are difficult to get tight. I can crank them way down, but still easily turn the tie rod with a pipe wrench. I wonder if I could cut a couple more pinch slots in the tie rod to help it clamp down better. Any thoughts on relocation or the pinch slots?

I also ran into a damn tree. Wasn't paying attention. I wasn't going 50, but we were rolling through some tight trails pretty quick. I hit it hard enough for the bark to be stuck there for a week. All it did was scuff some paint off.

Also realized I never posted picks of the skid system with the engine skid mounted up. I still need to add the oil access panel.

Unread 03-22-2014, 07:52 AM   #1193
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Nice carnage pictures, and even nicer images of the engine skid! Well done on both counts!

Also, on the race-rig topic: Don't forget that the budget has to include inevitable mistakes and repairs, because getting all of it "right" the first time probably won't happen. Putting all of this onto a 5-year schedule makes it far more do-able than it would be if you were trying to complete the task in a year, though, but I have to agree with the notion of getting a cheap second chassis and working from there; it not only allows you to build a better, more competitive rig from the get-go, but it also makes your 5-or-more year timeline much more do-able. I know there are obstacles with that plan, but I think it's well worth considering.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2014, 09:30 AM   #1194
kellerumps
See Ya Coach.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Also do not forget that wifey doesn't necessarily likes being a Jeep widow.
My wife HATES being a Jeep Widow.

Member of: IndyOrv
kellerumps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2014, 07:05 AM   #1195
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Going to be a few parts going up for sale soon.

Front upper Currie arms.
Currie JJ front axle housing kit if I can get it all out ok.
Savvy AL lower arms. Arms only, reusing the joints.
Savvy AL double adjustable rear uppers.
Rear Lower arms. Arms only, reusing joints. 2"x1/4" wall DOM double adjustable.
Savvy GTS (may already be spoken for).
Riddler Ford 8.8 diff cover.

Unread 03-31-2014, 02:08 PM   #1196
green50gt

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I'm driving through Indy on the 6th then again on the 12th of April.. Not sure that I have room but just saying.
green50gt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2014, 04:47 PM   #1197
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by green50gt
I'm driving through Indy on the 6th then again on the 12th of April.. Not sure that I have room but just saying.
Don't think I'll have the cell ready by then.

Unread 03-31-2014, 07:55 PM   #1198
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102 View Post
Going to be a few parts going up for sale soon.

Front upper Currie arms.
Currie JJ front axle housing kit if I can get it all out ok.
Savvy AL lower arms. Arms only, reusing the joints.
Savvy AL double adjustable rear uppers.
Rear Lower arms. Arms only, reusing joints. 2"x1/4" wall DOM double adjustable.
Savvy GTS (may already be spoken for).
Riddler Ford 8.8 diff cover.
Thats a lot of good parts ! What are you replacing it all with ?
Unread 03-31-2014, 08:42 PM   #1199
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley
Thats a lot of good parts ! What are you replacing it all with ?
3 link, 4 link stretch & rci 2162a fuel cell.

Unread 03-31-2014, 09:24 PM   #1200
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102
3 link, 4 link stretch & rci 2162a fuel cell.
Uht oh.... Chop chop. And what method are you going to use to stretch????

Tags
caliper flip , ford 8.8 , indyorv , outboard , tube fenders

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.