Danno's DD TJ Build - Page 70 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Danno's DD TJ Build

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 11-12-2013, 05:27 AM   #1036
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
Wheeling pictures look good Danno.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
Nice wheelin pics Danno, I really dig the new designed bumper
Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Looks like a good time was had Danno!
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Pick one up on your way back home

I like the bumper , but prefer a more rounded profile on the clevis mounts. Maybe its something you could offer as an option ?
Thanks guys! Was a good time. First time I've been out since September.

Beasley, a 40 grit flap wheel would make quick work of that.

I don't think I could have one ready for Sundowner that quick. Unfortunatley my laser guy is ridiculously slow. But ridiculously cheap.

"Evolution through carnage, the Jeep will keep what it needs."
Danno6102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 08:41 AM   #1037
SwiftJeep
2006 TJ Wrangler 

How you like then half doors? Lol kinda nice having an armrest eh
SwiftJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 08:47 AM   #1038
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

So I've spent this week almost continuously pondering the redesign of this skid plate. I think my major problem is being completely hung up on going completely flat. My goal is to build a skid that will take a pretty good licking. Although the first test run didn't bend the flat skid, it was obviously flexing as shown by the loosened bolts. I know Nate was able to add some additional reinforcement to his skid & get it all to clear his cat, but my life isn't so easy having to also work around the 42RLE tranny pan.

So, moving forward here is what I am proposing for V2.0.

1. Dropping the skid in the center & adding bends similar to the Savvy skid. I don't like blatantly copying others designs, but this is just a good way to add a ton of rigidity to the skid & that's about where the similarities end. Savvy's drops ~1 1/2" so they say (I've seen pics that show 1 3/4"), mine will only drop ~1 1/4".

2. A 1/4" thick stiffening rib will be welded along the front & back edges. Will be 2" tall @ the center. I have also thought about adding a couple gussets along the center to help with vertical support of these members.

3. An almost full width center channel tranny mount. Due to the lower profile of this it will terminate about half way up the tapers. The low profile of this mount coupled with the lower center section of the skid will also allow it to be used with a stock rubber transmission mount, or the use of a Lopro mount to help with driveline angles. The use of a lopro would probably also allow a NP241 to squeeze in there.

4. With the addition of these structural enhancements, I think I can down size material thickness of the main skid plate to 3/16" to shave some weight.

Here is my CAD file so far.

Thoughts? Concerns?

Unread 11-14-2013, 09:18 AM   #1039
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

On a completely off topic note. Anyone watch Fast N Loud on Discovery? This last episode had an ugly green station wagon they turned into a dragster. Well, they bought that station wagon from the guy in the white JK in the forth pic from the bottom in my latest wheeling pics.

Unread 11-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #1040
JJeeper09
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102
On a completely off topic note. Anyone watch Fast N Loud on Discovery? This last episode had an ugly green station wagon they turned into a dragster. Well, they bought that station wagon from the guy in the white JK in the forth pic from the bottom in my latest wheeling pics.
Very cool! I saw it.
Unread 11-14-2013, 10:16 AM   #1041
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I really like the design changes.

Personally I would want 1/4" steel regardless but I'm not sure what thickness skid everyone else runs. 3/16" could be more popular than I think for belly skids. Just my $0.02.
Unread 11-14-2013, 10:48 AM   #1042
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspup View Post
I really like the design changes.

Personally I would want 1/4" steel regardless but I'm not sure what thickness skid everyone else runs. 3/16" could be more popular than I think for belly skids. Just my $0.02.
Yea, I'm not sure I've made up my mind to go 3/16" yet. I probably won't. From what I've seen, the bigger names run 1/4", like Romen, Genright. UCF is 3/16" with an option to upgrade to 1/4".

Unread 11-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #1043
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

3/16" would be strong enough for most of the wheeling I do. I like the new design! I'm guessing I'd have gobbs of room with my 231/5sp setup?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 01:17 PM   #1044
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
3/16" would be strong enough for most of the wheeling I do. I like the new design! I'm guessing I'd have gobbs of room with my 231/5sp setup?
For the most part I think 3/16" would be fine for most people, but like others have said, if it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing. Overall, it'd only add like 10 lbs. It's low, centered weight, so, good weight IMO.

If you stayed with a stock rubber transmission mount, no. It'd be tucked up pretty tight just due to the fact that mounts an 1" thick. If you went to a lopro mount, yea, an inch or so of clearance. Of course I haven't had this made up yet, so not sure my clearances are going to be what I think they are, but I bet I'm close. I should probably get the ball rolling on one.

Unread 11-14-2013, 01:20 PM   #1045
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good dude!
Unread 11-15-2013, 11:00 PM   #1046
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102 View Post
I should probably get the ball rolling on one.
Yes...you should do that.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2013, 11:07 PM   #1047
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner
Yes...you should do that.
Sent the drawings to the fab shop this morning. They're pretty swamped, so hopefully will get them in the next week or two.

Unread 11-15-2013, 11:47 PM   #1048
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102 View Post
Sent the drawings to the fab shop this morning. They're pretty swamped, so hopefully will get them in the next week or two.
And if you need anyone to break the f*** out of it, I just want you to know that I'm here for you, man...

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2013, 06:04 AM   #1049
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Not much of an update. Still waiting on my laser guy to get a price to me on the new bumper pieces I sent to him last Wednesday. Did I mention he's ridiculously slow?

I sent the new skid parts to my local guy to burn them on his plasma. He's pretty busy as well, so I told him I didn't need them for a couple weeks. As long as I have it in time to get it welded up & mounted before December 7th, it's all good. That'll be the next test session. Toys 4 Tots event at the Badlands.

Probably the most exciting news, now that we are a two jeep family & can use my wife's jeep for weekend road cruising with the top off, I received the ok from my better half to turn my rig into a 2 seater. Which makes some future mods a lot easier to implement. Locating the fuel cell without having to worry about a rear seat is a lot easier & designing a very strong cage with proper triangulation is a lot easier. Mounting a tub mounted spare also much easier.

Unread 11-19-2013, 03:45 PM   #1050
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Just measured the wms on the Dana 60 I got. 65.5"! Makes me happy I don't have to mess with narrowing it! That looked a little complex & expensive.

Tags
caliper flip , ford 8.8 , indyorv , outboard , tube fenders

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.