Danno's DD TJ Build - Page 69 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Danno's DD TJ Build

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 11-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #1021
boilerup1998

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Danno, I know designing your skid is important to you, but if you were looking for a used non-modular Savvy UA for an Auto in excellent condition (I know because it was mine!) I can point you in the direction? It went with my old LJ when I sold it and hasn't been Offroad since. It's basically brand new.

boilerup1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #1022
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw
That is what I was trying to explain this morning but run all the angles into each other so they form a full rectangle (or trapezoid)
Honestly that was my plan but I've run a little short on angle! And I've already been out twice to buy metal. Haha.

Also my thinking with the side pieces was more to wedge them against the frame to resist bowing, the way I have them I'm still accomplishing that.
Unread 11-05-2013, 04:46 PM   #1023
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Welded up..... I have to say this thing feels like a tank, it's crazy stiff now. If this ain't good enough, let it be bent. Haha. The bent lip + the angle Looks quite overkill. I guess I'd be worried still about it bending in the center. image-2974237521.jpg image-2132284669.jpg

Can someone come over and help me lift it into place now??? Haha
Unread 11-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #1024
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm
Welded up..... I have to say this thing feels like a tank, it's crazy stiff now. If this ain't good enough, let it be bent. Haha. The bent lip + the angle Looks quite overkill. I guess I'd be worried still about it bending in the center.

Can someone come over and help me lift it into place now??? Haha
Much better. Smiley face.
Unread 11-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #1025
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Oh yea, that should hold good now. I'll rework mine after this weekends trip. Hopefully I don't trash it I it's current state.

"Evolution through carnage, the Jeep will keep what it needs."
Danno6102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 07:17 PM   #1026
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good Nate. I like the idea of the double angle on the front and back. Now go beat the snot out of it at the hammers and report back!
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 09:04 PM   #1027
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspup View Post
Much better. Smiley face.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102 View Post
Oh yea, that should hold good now. I'll rework mine after this weekends trip. Hopefully I don't trash it I it's current state.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post
Looks good Nate. I like the idea of the double angle on the front and back. Now go beat the snot out of it at the hammers and report back!
Thanks fellas. I didn't expect it to take all day but I wasted some time working with some 3" channel that would have been bombproof.... but to much stuff in the way to make it work. And after taking that skid on and off about 10 times today by myself I am beat! Thanks to you all for motivating me to get this done.... I've been putting it off since the initial install and loosing motivation. I can see now that it would have gotten pretty tore up just based on how different just handling it off the Jeep feels.
Unread 11-11-2013, 05:03 AM   #1028
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Had a great day wheeling on Saturday! Tried a couple new obstacles & had a couple sketchy moments! Jeep ran & performed great! Had some issue with the flat skid. It's straight, but the driver side bolts backed out. My front nutsert was stripped, that bolts long gone, so not sure if that contributed to the other two backing out, or if it was from excessive flexing of the skid. Anyway, we have plans already to beef up the support members. The new bumper did great. It cleared everything except the more or less vertical walls. Wacked it a few times & it held up good.

When we were pulling out of the badlands I had a bad squeak coming from my left rear. Sounded just like a rock stuck in the brakes, so we headed to the gas station to fill up. Did it the whole way there. Couldn't find anything wrong, so chalked it up to a rock again. Decided to make the 15 mile drive down the two lane to I-74 & if it was still squealing, to pull over & figure it out. Well, it did. We pulled over & looked over everything real well & still couldn't figure it out, so decided to continue with a lookout close behind incase anything exploded. Was fine for the most part & would start squealing after bumps. Well, we rounded the curve from I-74 it 465 & this thing let out a ****ing screech like satan's whores! Keep in mind I am now 70 miles or more from the badlands. I whipped it over & started looking over the left rear again & low & behold there is this tiny pebble, about the size of an erase head sitting in the bottom of the dust shield. I dig it out & it has one side that is nicely polished. How the hell that little thing made the 70+ mile trip without getting kicked out or worn completely down I'll never know. Was fine & never made a peep the rest of the way home.

Anyway, on to some pics...

This was the second sketchy spot. To exit this you need to have your left rear on the rock to my left & your left front way up on the hill on the left & it's pretty easy to exit. Well, I was too far right & not on the big rock, my rig jumped forward pushing my left front up that hill while my left rear was in a big hole behind the rock on the left. It didn't feel that bad to me, not as bad as the one below, but everyone else **** a brick.

This was my first sketchy moment of the day. The front end was REEEEEALLY light here. If I rolled back any more my passenger rear was going in a hole & would have indefinitely resulted in a back right roll down a nice hill.

Unread 11-11-2013, 05:12 AM   #1029
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Here are some better pics of the new bumper. Really like this new design. 1/4" top plate, the rest is 3/16" to save some weight & $. The pushed out front doesn't effect approach angle one bit. The clevis mounts are designed that way to easily accept a winch bar laid across the back, but I really like the look of them by themselves. Unique, & sort of look like a shark fin. Let me know what you think.

The 1:00am wet paint garage shot the night before wheeling.

Unread 11-11-2013, 05:51 AM   #1030
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102 View Post
Here are some better pics of the new bumper. Really like this new design. 1/4" top plate, the rest is 3/16" to save some weight & $. The pushed out front doesn't effect approach angle one bit. The clevis mounts are designed that way to easily accept a winch bar laid across the back, but I really like the look of them by themselves. Unique, & sort of look like a shark fin. Let me know what you think.
I want one.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 07:59 AM   #1031
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
I want one.

Unread 11-11-2013, 11:04 AM   #1032
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Wheeling pictures look good Danno.

Jeep-Owners.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #1033
AngryTJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Nice wheelin pics Danno, I really dig the new designed bumper

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f345/jf-trip-2-0-a-2608114/"][SIZE="3"][B]
2015 Colorado Trip[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 04:49 PM   #1034
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like a good time was had Danno!
Unread 11-11-2013, 06:34 PM   #1035
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
I want one.
Pick one up on your way back home

I like the bumper , but prefer a more rounded profile on the clevis mounts. Maybe its something you could offer as an option ?

Tags
caliper flip , ford 8.8 , indyorv , outboard , tube fenders

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.