Danno's DD TJ Build - Page 67 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Danno's DD TJ Build

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-05-2013, 05:25 AM   #991
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
I thought it did have a support/brace in that position because that was part of how the engine skid attached; as Imped said, I thought it was fully braced...but that may only be the standard Under Armor and not the modular version.

Edit: Just looked at the photos again on Savvy's site and there are only two braces, so I stand corrected.
The way the full under armor engine skid attaches does help support the front of the skid. But the modular attaches like any normal engine skid.

Full under armor

Modular

"Evolution through carnage, the Jeep will keep what it needs."
Danno6102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 05:42 AM   #992
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

It's bent though..... that helps with support at the front. I ran the front edge head on into a boulder the other day at the badlands. Nothing more than a scuff.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 05:55 AM   #993
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped
It's bent though..... that helps with support at the front. I ran the front edge head on into a boulder the other day at the badlands. Nothing more than a scuff.
This, the fact that the skid drops in the center and slopes up toward the mounting points on the frame adds a ton of support from bowing upwards. You can think of it as pressing on the point of a triangle vs pressing on the middle of a flat plate, the point of a triangle is much more rigid. Obviously the Savvy skid isn't angled as severely as a triangle but the concept of forces applied to the structure as a whole still applies. The bolts would have to shear at the frame before you get the skid to bow upward unlike a flat piece of plate with a minor amount of stretching.
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 06:07 AM   #994
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
I understand bending adds some rigidity, but that's not much of a bend, maybe 5, & still has some 13" of unsupported flat, dead center. Granted their crossmember does go full width, so that helps out a lot.

Unread 11-05-2013, 06:25 AM   #995
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102 View Post

I understand bending adds some rigidity, but that's not much of a bend, maybe 5, & still has some 13" of unsupported flat, dead center. Granted their crossmember does go full width, so that helps out a lot.
I wonder how much a front crossmember/brace would help.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 07:13 AM   #996
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I'll certainly do my best to expose weaknesses in the skid but I just don't think it'll be an issue.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 07:16 AM   #997
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Well, I'll certainly do my best to expose weaknesses in the skid but I just don't think it'll be an issue.
If you're still down for Saturday, we can certainly do our best to expose any weakness in the one on my rig.

Unread 11-05-2013, 07:55 AM   #998
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I believe MO2500 has the best understanding on skids as to people who have posted about this so far with the UCF skid being the best example. Danno, the angle you mounted to front of the skid will add a lot of reinforcement but is opposition-ally mounted to how the angle's strength works in the real world. It will work great for what you want, it just isnt the best way to use the angle's strength. Also, the flat spot on the skid is not the problem, it is the lack of x/y support and with it being flat, oviously there is no z axis support. Look at the ucf skid. The 3/4" drop down around the perimeter gives it the x and y support which will pretty much stop it from fully flexing out shape but the depth is where is matters most. The depth gives it the rigidity. And the cross member that they add (small C channel) is mounted with the open side facing downward which puts the "webs" of the C vertical tension which adds more strength (not a bunch when taking about the whole overall skid) and serves as a mounting point. If you give the skid properties that will allow it not to move, then it doesnt matter about the flat spots (as long as they are thick enough to not be penitrated).

You skid will work great, but if you wanted flat and bulletproof something with a full square of angle just inside of the frame rails would be a ton more strong than lined with angles on the front, back and going across like in the second picture of post 980. In that skid, there is not enough front to back rigidity (or along the y axis).

Like sunny's sig says, if it is worth doing, it's worth over doing.
Unread 11-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #999
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Hehehe... he called me Sunny...

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #1000
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
I believe MO2500 has the best understanding on skids as to people who have posted about this so far with the UCF skid being the best example. Danno, the angle you mounted to front of the skid will add a lot of reinforcement but is opposition-ally mounted to how the angle's strength works in the real world. It will work great for what you want, it just isnt the best way to use the angle's strength. Also, the flat spot on the skid is not the problem, it is the lack of x/y support and with it being flat, oviously there is no z axis support. Look at the ucf skid. The 3/4" drop down around the perimeter gives it the x and y support which will pretty much stop it from fully flexing out shape but the depth is where is matters most. The depth gives it the rigidity. And the cross member that they add (small C channel) is mounted with the open side facing downward which puts the "webs" of the C vertical tension which adds more strength (not a bunch when taking about the whole overall skid) and serves as a mounting point. If you give the skid properties that will allow it not to move, then it doesnt matter about the flat spots (as long as they are thick enough to not be penitrated).

You skid will work great, but if you wanted flat and bulletproof something with a full square of angle just inside of the frame rails would be a ton more strong than lined with angles on the front, back and going across like in the second picture of post 980. In that skid, there is not enough front to back rigidity (or along the y axis).

Like sunny's sig says, if it is worth doing, it's worth over doing.
Just so we're on talking about MY skid, the one in post 980 is Mike's skid. My angle is mounted like this 'L', & to me, is exactly how the strength axis should be with a force pushing up from below. I do understand what your saying about the additional x/y reinforcement. I'm going to look into what can easily be done with relocating the cat to open up some space to do something more. As far as Y axis rigidity, I'll add an angle & weld it into both the rear bend & front angle. That will box everything in once I figure something out at the cat.

Unread 11-05-2013, 08:37 AM   #1001
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102 View Post
Just so we're on talking about MY skid, the one in post 980 is Mike's skid. My angle is mounted like this 'L', & to me, is exactly how the strength axis should be with a force pushing up from below. I do understand what your saying about the additional x/y reinforcement. I'm going to look into what can easily be done with relocating the cat to open up some space to do something more. As far as Y axis rigidity, I'll add an angle & weld it into both the rear bend & front angle. That will box everything in once I figure something out at the cat.
I understand who's skids are who's.
Unread 11-05-2013, 08:39 AM   #1002
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Off to drop my skid for about the 10th time in the last few weeks. Haha.
Unread 11-05-2013, 08:51 AM   #1003
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
I understand who's skids are who's.
Ok, was just making sure. So how are you saying my angle should be mounted to best use the angles strength?

Unread 11-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #1004
JJeeper09
2004 TJ Wrangler 

L
Unread 11-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #1005
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJeeper09 View Post
L
& that's the way it's mounted.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.