Danno's DD TJ Build - Page 65 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Danno's DD TJ Build

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #961
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102 View Post
I started doing some research into building my kids a scale crawler. Found this build on Pirate. The thought has seriously crossed my mind about selling my rig & throwing one of these together & have a bunch of cash left over. Honda motor, 37's, rear steer, Toyota axles, 2,000 lbs ish, 63" to top of the frame, 100% total badassedness.
This thing is perfect. What is the build name?

kyle_craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 12:14 PM   #962
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_craig View Post
This thing is perfect. What is the build name?
Project Lo-budget Pimpin

"Evolution through carnage, the Jeep will keep what it needs."
Danno6102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 12:21 PM   #963
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Project Lo-budget Pimpin
Thank you!
kyle_craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #964
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Project Lo-budget Pimpin
What about stone cold pimpin? Or pimpmaster ?
Unread 11-04-2013, 07:44 AM   #965
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I got my new flat skid mounted up finally. Seems to be less noise & slightly less vibration rom this one. Not that it was bad by any means, just something I noticed & not sure why, driveline is at the same elevation it was with the old one. I was a little skeptical about what I had planned, but it turned out nice & I'm happy with it so far. Going to give it a good test this weekend at the badlands.

The angle along the front serves as a stiffening member, but also a place to mount the recessed engine skid to keep the belly as flat as possible.

Bent lip on the back for a stiffening member.

Flipping the angle around on the front allows for plenty of driveshaft clearance without having to notch it & lose strength. This photo the driver side is drooped pretty much all the way out.

I have another new steel bumper at the metal shop & an engine skid. Hopefully they can get both made up so I can weld them & drill the mounting holes before this weekends trip.

Unread 11-04-2013, 07:51 AM   #966
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have another new steel bumper at the metal shop & an engine skid. Hopefully they can get both made up so I can weld them & drill the mounting holes before this weekends trip.
The flat skid looks good, man; I like the angle reversal that removes the necessity for notching. Also, the welds you posted several days ago look fantastic; they're so much better than I can do that it's not even funny. Be sure to post some pictures of the new bumper and engine skid when you weld them up.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 09:14 AM   #967
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
The flat skid looks good, man; I like the angle reversal that removes the necessity for notching. Also, the welds you posted several days ago look fantastic; they're so much better than I can do that it's not even funny. Be sure to post some pictures of the new bumper and engine skid when you weld them up.
Thanks man! I'm going to give most of the props to the Hobart welder & youtube.

I'll definitely post up some pics of the new stuff.

Also, forgot to mention in my first post, I scored a stock Dana 60 with a LSD for the rear for free last night at our club meeting.

Unread 11-04-2013, 09:46 AM   #968
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Looks real good man, does your cat still reside in the stock location? Just wondering if you had to mess with it. My flat skid is one of my favorite mods now.
Unread 11-04-2013, 09:55 AM   #969
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Looks real good man, does your cat still reside in the stock location? Just wondering if you had to mess with it. My flat skid is one of my favorite mods now.
Yep, stock location. It's resting on the skid. I could get about 1/4" of clearance top & bottom if I messed with it.

Unread 11-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #970
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yep, stock location. It's resting on the skid. I could get about 1/4" of clearance top & bottom if I messed with it.
Cool, that's about what I have, 1/4" top and bottom. It'll probably rattle if it's resting though. I don't know if you saw in my thread but a simple mod of the hanger should take care of that.
Unread 11-04-2013, 10:22 AM   #971
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Cool, that's about what I have, 1/4" top and bottom. It'll probably rattle if it's resting though. I don't know if you saw in my thread but a simple mod of the hanger should take care of that.
It didn't rattle with my old flat skid & it was resting the same. I thought about putting my hilift handle on the hanger rod & seeing f I could just bend it down a little to fine tune it. I'll probably fix it when I have the skid down sometime soon. Either by welding the bracket or bending the rod. Now that I have the welder, it'd be easy to do.

Unread 11-04-2013, 04:01 PM   #972
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Just a little constructive criticism from my own experience with a 1/4" flat skid, not meant to bash your design in any way. The area you left unsupported on the passenger side of the skid plate, I assume that is for the cat or exhaust clearance? I'm 99.9% confident the skid will bend there upon thorough testing (ie. slamming down on rocks repeatedly). It really needs to have full support from frame rail to frame rail in the middle, the front leading edge and the rear trailing edge. 1/4" in any unsupported span is surprisingly easy to bend when you point load it with a 4,000 lb vehicle in motion.

I left the same area unsupported on my flat skid to clear my exhaust and it was bent badly the first trip and continued to get worse and worse over the past couple season of wheeling. Mine is not only 1/4" steel but also skinned with 5/8" UHMW which ended up cracking because of the crease forming in the unsupported span of 1/4" on the leading edge. If possible you need to at minimum get the center support full width between the frame rails and try to make the leading edge full width too.
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 04:16 PM   #973
JJeeper09
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I agree with Mike. I ran into similar issues. One of the main reasons I would like to build a different skid.
Unread 11-04-2013, 04:38 PM   #974
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

That spot will get a bend up in front of the cat to help in that area. The flat skid I was running is Connors old one. There was zero reinforcement across the front edge & just a small 1" square tube across the back. I beat it pretty good & dropped the rig on it a few times. It was only slightly bowed along the front unsupported edge. I plan to beat the turd out of it this weekend to see how it holds up. Appreciate the honest feedback!

Unread 11-04-2013, 04:46 PM   #975
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

The biggest killer is pointy or uneven rock ledges that point load the skid in the unsupported area, you can't prevent the perfect situation that will dent and bend pretty much any skid but if you can get more support across the middle and leading edge it will be much stronger.
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.