Danno's DD TJ Build - Page 64 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Danno's DD TJ Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 09-24-2013, 02:13 PM   #946
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Does anyone have any experience with bending square aluminum tube? Starting to think about a project that's about 3rd in line. Basically just wondering about difficulty, scratching or marring of the surface & how bad it is.

"Evolution through carnage, the Jeep will keep what it needs."
Danno6102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 06:05 PM   #947
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102
Does anyone have any experience with bending square aluminum tube? Starting to think about a project that's about 3rd in line. Basically just wondering about difficulty, scratching or marring of the surface & how bad it is.
I've made large diameter bends with 1" square tube...it doesn't look awful but you can definitely see marks. Is the project getting painted after completion?
Unread 09-24-2013, 06:14 PM   #948
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'd be looking at smaller bends. I haven't checked radius, but maybe 5.5" radius. Probably be a larger tube too. 1 1/4" was what was planning. I'd hate to buy the dies & not work. I can probably live with a little scraping. I could hit them with an orbital real quick. Not sure on painting yet.

Unread 09-25-2013, 09:11 AM   #949
TURBevO8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

What did you use to trim the rear flares without melting them or anything? Just a jig saw with a wood blade? Thanks!
Unread 09-25-2013, 09:21 AM   #950
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBevO8 View Post
What did you use to trim the rear flares without melting them or anything? Just a jig saw with a wood blade? Thanks!
Here is the post about it.

I actually just scribed the cutting line with this & then cut it with a jig saw, but like I said in the post, if I ran over it a few more times it would have cut right through. The screw sticking all the way through runs along the bottom edge of the flare & the one with just the tip sticking out is the one that does the scribing/cutting.

Unread 09-25-2013, 07:07 PM   #951
TURBevO8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Nice. Thanks!
Unread 10-21-2013, 05:13 AM   #952
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

It appears us IndyORV boys now how to treat our women right. Picked this up for the boss Saturday. It's a 2012 with 34,000 miles, but this thing is loaded. It does have some small dents on each side of the cowl, I assume the previous owners let the doors get away from them, because they are in the exact same place on both sides. I'll get them fixed, no biggie. Other than that, the thing is cherry! I can understand why JK people never wave, it doesn't feel like you're in a Jeep Wrangler at all.

I also worked on the flat skid a bit Sunday. Things are pretty tight behind the 42RLE, so I've decided to make some design changes as far as how I was going to attach the engine skid. I want the two skids to be flush, not having the engine skid bolted directly to the bottom of the tranny skid. I had originally planned on having two flanges bent up on each & the bolting the flanges together. Not a whole lot of room to do that, so now the plan is to have a recessed area at the front of the tranny skid that the engine skid will sit in & bolt up through with some flat heads. It'll bolt into a support angle that will be welded across the skid from the cat all the way to the driver frame rail. The only part of the skid itself that will be bent up is right in front of the cat. If that's not clear it'll make a lot more sense when I get it implemented.

Those that are friends with me on FB are probably tired of seeing these weld pics, but I'm pretty proud of what I laid down for having VERY limited time behind a welder in my life & not touching a welder is 20 years. I had some good & some bad, most were pretty decent. This one was probably the best bead of the day. Before & after the wire wheel. The upper piece is the 1/8" mount plate & the bottom is the 1/4" skid. Let me know if it looks like I'm doing anything wrong here or how I could improve it.

Unread 10-23-2013, 05:31 AM   #953
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I did some more welding last night. Beads are getting better, but still not as pretty as the metal fab shop I use. I'm getting pretty good penetration, so I know they're good strong welds. Anyone have any tips or ways to improve these? I'm using the cursive "e" pattern for most of them. I need to practice on blending the welds, like at the corners of the clevis mounts.

This is what I'm shooting for!

Unread 11-01-2013, 04:24 AM   #954
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I started doing some research into building my kids a scale crawler. Found this build on Pirate. The thought has seriously crossed my mind about selling my rig & throwing one of these together & have a bunch of cash left over. Honda motor, 37's, rear steer, Toyota axles, 2,000 lbs ish, 63" to top of the frame, 100% total badassedness.

Unread 11-01-2013, 08:19 AM   #955
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Any progress on the half doors ?
Unread 11-01-2013, 08:50 AM   #956
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

http://s718.photobucket.com/user/blu..._0084.jpg.html

http://s718.photobucket.com/user/blu..._0087.jpg.html

http://s718.photobucket.com/user/blu..._0085.jpg.html

Local guy and his kids new buggy.

I think it has a motorcycle engine, no trans, sami case and yota axles with 31s. Anything is possible.

Looking for a set of dana 30 shafts for a TJ or XJ, stock and good condition. PM me if you have a set and willing to ship or are in LA.
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 09:09 AM   #957
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Welds look very good to me. Don't beat yourself up. Looks like you've got a steady hand.
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 09:09 AM   #958
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Any progress on the half doors ?
Very little. I have the panels figured out. Trying to figure out a better solution for the top rails other than welding. Also, trying to set something up with a Southco rep to get some sample latches. Trail doors will come first, then I'll work on figuring out the addition of the uppers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
http://s718.photobucket.com/user/blu..._0084.jpg.html

http://s718.photobucket.com/user/blu..._0087.jpg.html

http://s718.photobucket.com/user/blu..._0085.jpg.html

Local guy and his kids new buggy.

I think it has a motorcycle engine, no trans, sami case and yota axles with 31s. Anything is possible.
I saw that one. Just recently started following the progress on FB. I wanted a full auto tranny for the kids though. The 300EX motors that him & Avery used still need to be manually shifted. Plus I can get a Honda motor from a local U pull for the same price as a 300EX motor.

Unread 11-01-2013, 09:17 AM   #959
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Welds look very good to me. Don't beat yourself up. Looks like you've got a steady hand.
Thanks! I was actually pretty surprised with how well they looked right off the bat.

I'm going to be finalizing my new flat skid this weekend & try to get an engine skid bent up by the 9th for a Badlands run to test them out & beat on them, & hopefully a new bumper design too. Very similar to the Barnes bumper, but with an integrated fairlead plate. This one will also be able to be run with a stock sway bar & not sacrifice any of that great approach angle.

Unread 11-01-2013, 10:30 AM   #960
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102 View Post
Very little. I have the panels figured out. Trying to figure out a better solution for the top rails other than welding. Also, trying to set something up with a Southco rep to get some sample latches. Trail doors will come first, then I'll work on figuring out the addition of the uppers.

I saw that one. Just recently started following the progress on FB. I wanted a full auto tranny for the kids though. The 300EX motors that him & Avery used still need to be manually shifted. Plus I can get a Honda motor from a local U pull for the same price as a 300EX motor.
It is untested, but in two weeks we have a big ride/long weekend planned. I will try to get a shot or two. It has to be tiny.

Looking for a set of dana 30 shafts for a TJ or XJ, stock and good condition. PM me if you have a set and willing to ship or are in LA.
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.