Danno's DD TJ Build - Page 60 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Danno's DD TJ Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 07-29-2013, 06:44 AM   #886
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

The ole girl has been really neglected lately. The DW still persists. Yesterday was the first day she has move more than just the 20 feet so I can mow around her since July 4th. Going to have the wife help me with yet another very thorough dry steer test to see if I can see anything loose or cracked or whatever. If I can't find anything, I'm just going to start throwing the typical parts at it. New bushing for the Currie track bar, might as well do a new JJ for it too. I think I'm going to order me up one of Rokmen's new JJ tool as well.

Still haven't messed with the bumper & probably won't until I'm all done remodeling the upstairs of my house. Should a be done in a few weeks.

"Evolution through carnage, the Jeep will keep what it needs."
Danno6102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 10:24 AM   #887
TURBevO8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102 View Post
Yep. I'll build both axles & mothball them until I get everything together for the front & rear stretches, then set her on jack stands & knock it all out probably winter 2014/15. I'm looking at a hefty chunk of change for everything I'm doing with this go round, so it'll take quite a while to put together. Donations are welcome. PayPal accepted!

As far as wheeling, the house has me busy until early August at the very soonest.
You are planning to do a front stretch with a HP44 right? Stock box? What pitman arm will you use? I was planning to do a 3" front stretch with stock box and Waggy arm but not sure if that is possible with the longer arm and wondering if you had researched this and found some answers. Thanks!
Unread 07-29-2013, 10:28 AM   #888
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Just bit the bullet & ordered up a bunch of stuff that needed replacing anyway.

Basically a whole new Currie steering setup minus the Savvy Tie Rod & the drag link adjuster sleeve. The drag link was bent from the rocks at our local 4WP which also bent the TRE on the Tie Rod at the drag link.
New JJ halves & the poly axle side bushing for the Currie track bar.
New stabilizer, dented to hell from bending the drag link.
& the new Rokmen JJ tool.

Plan of attack is to take each control arm out, clean & inspect all of the JJ & grease & assemble. Install new bushings in the track bar & get the front axle aligned as close to perfect as possible. Then get all the new steering stuff installed & the wheels aligned.

I swear to God if this does not take care of the wobble, I will set it on fire & drive it off a cliff while shooting it with my AR-15.

Unread 07-29-2013, 10:41 AM   #889
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBevO8 View Post
You are planning to do a front stretch with a HP44 right? Stock box? What pitman arm will you use? I was planning to do a 3" front stretch with stock box and Waggy arm but not sure if that is possible with the longer arm and wondering if you had researched this and found some answers. Thanks!
Haven't looked into this too much yet. Still not 100% sure I'm going to stretch the front. I'd probably try & cut up & modify the stock arm & make my own like MO2500 did.

Unread 07-29-2013, 10:59 AM   #890
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I can just about guarantee the bent TRE's are a big source for your DW......the invite is still open if you want to bring it over. Also, I've got some extra JJ halves for future reference. Just come get them if you need them, I'm cheaper than Currie. I might also have a spare Currie axle-end bushing around, as well.....
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 12:00 PM   #891
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
I can just about guarantee the bent TRE's are a big source for your DW......the invite is still open if you want to bring it over. Also, I've got some extra JJ halves for future reference. Just come get them if you need them, I'm cheaper than Currie. I might also have a spare Currie axle-end bushing around, as well.....
Yea, only one TRE is bent, but I'd figure I'd just replace all of them & be done with it. It was wobbling before it was bent though. My newest guess is on the axle end bushing on the track bar. It still looked in decent shape when I took it off a couple months back, but who knows. I bought this off Doug (kellerumps) 2 years ago & who knows how long he had it on his rig. Also heard some earlier Currie TB bushings wore out quickly & this ones been flexed pretty hard for the past 2 years. We'll see. I might take you up on those bushing depending on the condition of the ones in the arms.

I thought about taking you up on the offer, but I'd have to trailer it that far. I'd blow a gasket if I had to drive it at 35mph all the way up there. Steam blows from my ears every time I take it 1/4 mile down the road & it does it.

Unread 07-29-2013, 12:01 PM   #892
TURBevO8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Haven't looked into this too much yet. Still not 100% sure I'm going to stretch the front. I'd probably try & cut up & modify the stock arm & make my own like MO2500 did.
I'll have to check his build thread. I was just thinking of pitman length and how it matches up to knuckle arm length.
Unread 07-29-2013, 06:11 PM   #893
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Said screw working on the house tonight & got to work on the bumper. Just need to clean up the cuts & drill out a couple holes & plan on welding it up this weekend.

Approach angle

She tight!

Unread 07-29-2013, 07:26 PM   #894
TURBevO8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Simple but effective. Nice!

Where did you source your amber LED turn signals? Thanks!
Unread 07-29-2013, 07:34 PM   #895
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBevO8
Simple but effective. Nice!

Where did you source your amber LED turn signals? Thanks!
Thanks man!

Honestly, no idea. That was 1 1/2 years ago. Ill dig through my notes & see if there's anything in there.

Unread 07-29-2013, 07:43 PM   #896
TURBevO8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks man!

Honestly, no idea. That was 1 1/2 years ago. Ill dig through my notes & see if there's anything in there.
That's cool. Can you remember or measure to see if they're 2" or 2.5"? I like em!
Unread 07-29-2013, 07:43 PM   #897
kellerumps
See Ya Coach.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Did you bend the steel or cut and weld and then grind for hours?

I assume 3/16th plate? Can you send me your blue print/layouts?

Member of: IndyOrv
kellerumps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 05:26 AM   #898
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBevO8 View Post
That's cool. Can you remember or measure to see if they're 2" or 2.5"? I like em!
They're 2.5". I more than likely got them off amazon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellerumps View Post
Did you bend the steel or cut and weld and then grind for hours?

I assume 3/16th plate? Can you send me your blue print/layouts?
Bent steel. 1/4" thick. No, but I can build you a finished bumper. The guy doing all the metal work for me has been pushing me to market them. I need to finalize the design & drawings & he's going to give me a quote to make one. It'll be marketed as a strong affordable bumper with integrated winch plate & minimal approach angle. It won't win any beauty contests. They cut everything with a high amp plasma, which let's them cut some thick ****, but the cut quality suffers. Like the 1" thick D ring mounts have a very slight taper to the edge & small ripples, but will work just fine & is 1/4" thicker than most shackle mounts sold out there.

Unread 08-05-2013, 05:24 AM   #899
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Spent some alone time with the Jeep this weekend.

Frist order of business was addressing the death wobble issue. I started by stripping off the Currie steering & removing the adjuster sleeves & tie rod. Then removed the passenger side upper arm. With that out of the way I installed the new axle end bushing into the Currie track bar & squared up my axle. It was about 3/8" out of square to the center skid bolt. It is now -1/16". I then installed the new drag link, TRE's, stabilizer & did a quick alignment. I reinstalled the upper arm & hit the grease zerks on the steering. Checked all my tire pressures for good measure. Said a couple Hail Mary's & turned the key.

Took it for a few mile test drive down some smooth roads, then turned onto the country roads. Dare I say it, but I think my wobble is finally gone!! Before when it "went away", there was always a small hint of wobble or shimmy there. There is absolutely nothing now. nice & smooth. Not real sure exactly what it was, I got to thrashing & just went to town with all three things rather than do one & test drive. The track bar bushing didn't seem to bad. I could only move it a little prying on it with a screw driver. TRE didn't seem to bad either.

Sunday I took the bumper over to my bro-in-laws to get it welded up. I still have some clean up to do on it. Need to drill the holes for the fairlead mount & smooth out some edges, but other than that, she's ready for some satin black.

Teaser in primer.

Unread 08-05-2013, 05:56 AM   #900
boilerup1998

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Glad to hear the DW monster is finally dead!
boilerup1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
caliper flip , ford 8.8 , indyorv , outboard , tube fenders

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.