Danno's DD TJ Build - Page 58 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Danno's DD TJ Build

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 06-01-2013, 04:56 PM   #856
boilerup1998

2005 LJ Wrangler 

image-803316283.jpg

boilerup1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 10:07 AM   #857
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I mall crawl my junk this weekend. had a sales event at our local 4WP & played on their rock garden a little. Made it farther than I ever have unassisted, but still didn't make it all the way. The flat belly is niiiice! Ended up bending the Currie drag link. Slid off a large rock & landed right on it. No other major carnage except for that & some more rock rash on the sliders & rims. I had the GoPro on the windshield, but the first hard hit threw it up to the sky & the next pointed it at the hood, so the entire video pretty much sucks.

I'm almost embarrassed to post these videos after watching the clips from the boys trip out west.

The first half.

The second half after I backed all the way off the large rock & got a new line. :20 in is where I smoke the drag link. Kind of boring after the 4:00 mark...

"Evolution through carnage, the Jeep will keep what it needs."
Danno6102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #858
yellow_snocone
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Dont let our videos ruin your fun . Hopefully you can come out next year and be part of the fun.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/chesters-tj-build-1420405/"][COLOR="Green"]Chester TJ build[/COLOR][/URL]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f330/rubicon-trail-august-9th-11th-2014-a-1550022/"][COLOR="Blue"]2014 JF RUBICON TRIP[/COLOR][/URL]
yellow_snocone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #859
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilerup1998 View Post
That is just pretty.

Jeep-Owner.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
dayriesw is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #860
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

The beginnings of something beautiful... I hope.

Unread 06-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #861
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Nice drip edge but it is a little beefy, right?

Jeep-Owner.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
dayriesw is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 05:22 PM   #862
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw
Nice drip edge but it is a little beefy, right?
Lol! It's windy in Indiana want to make sure it stays put.

Unread 06-12-2013, 01:38 PM   #863
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I am pleased to announce, I will be picking up a 1979 F250 HP Dana 44 this weekend.

Unread 06-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #864
boilerup1998

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Nice Dan!
boilerup1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 07:13 AM   #865
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilerup1998 View Post
Nice Dan!
Thanks. It's the exact axle I was looking to put in it eventually. A guy in our club (4WTF) had it & has been sitting on it for some time. I finally talked him into selling it to me.

It'll be a slow build. The plan is to get the lug pattern to 5x5.5 through the combination of some F150 & Dodge parts, while still being able to run the larger F250 dual caliper brakes. Then narrow it down to about 63". Once it's built, it'll get a 3 link when installed. I also will need to save up for some new rims & seeing as how I need larger rims to clear the brakes & also the new lug pattern, I might as well get some 37's for it.

Unread 06-13-2013, 08:31 PM   #866
LifeProof
SEMPER FIDELIS

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum

SEMPER FI
LifeProof is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 05:42 AM   #867
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeProof View Post
Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
You got somethin' to say??

Still mulling over this 8 lug versus 5 lug deal. Things may get more interesting & more expensive, but the rig will be set for life. I can't really see the point in getting an F250 axle & basically downgrading it to an F150. Plus, I am wanting to run 5.38 gears when this is all done, the ford 8.8 goes from 5.13 to 5.71, no 5.38 that I could find easily. So, I am seriously looking into the possibility of ditching the Ford 8.8 & replacing it with a narrowed Dana 60. Looks to be relatively cheap to build. Would eliminate some headaches & would be one stout rig for 37's.

This will all happen VERY slowly & I'll be looking for some deals on a lot of stuff to make it happen quicker. It might take me a couple years to get it all ready to sling under the rig.

Back to the D44. Thoughts on the Jana 54 kit? I read over the install directions yesterday & not sure I'm a fan. The custom turned bearing races & you have to epoxy in the pinion race sort of turned me off.

Unread 06-14-2013, 06:56 AM   #868
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I vote for not narrowing.....it'll make your life much easier and it'll cost you less.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 07:16 AM   #869
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
I vote for not narrowing.....it'll make your life much easier and it'll cost you less.
The only real added cost will be new shafts, which I'm replacing with chromos anyway. Huck is doing all the shortening work for me. It'll be shortened to a standard shaft length so they'll be off the shelf & not anything custom.

The rear Dana 60 will be "custom" shafts, but ECGS sells Yukon "cut to length" 35 spline chromoly shafts. So I don't see that as a huge deal either. I could also have Branik turn the stock 30 splines down for minimal cost if I stick with the stock splines.

Unless I'm missing something. I will be the first to admit I am a total newb on all this axle stuff. Not sure what other costs would be associated with narrowing. I'm just not a big fan of the full width look, too wide, & I like being a little narrower to fit between trees etc, but also want a little more width than stock TJ for stability. I need to do some measuring of the hub to see what sort of backspacing I want to run to keep the hubs tucked in the rim, but 63" or 65" WMS is what I'm thinking. Huck is running 65" with 5" backspacing. That puts his overall width at ~80".

Unread 06-14-2013, 07:28 AM   #870
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

OK, I thought you were going down closer to TJ width. 65" is a nice width on a TJ and still lets you run a nice amount of backspacing (4-5") while still being plenty wide, stable and providing room for stuff. If you're sticking with springs and shocks, that'll work great.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
caliper flip , ford 8.8 , indyorv , outboard , tube fenders

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.