Danno's DD TJ Build - Page 57 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Danno's DD TJ Build

Custom Axle Work at CCORJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 05-16-2013, 07:24 AM   #841
LifeProof
SEMPER FIDELIS

2002 TJ Wrangler 

"yo dawg, i heard you like outboarding, so i outboarded your outboard"

SEMPER FI
LifeProof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 07:51 AM   #842
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeProof View Post
"yo dawg, i heard you like outboarding, so i outboarded your outboard"
LOL! Nice! Shows the importance of cycling suspension & checking clearances on everything prior to welding. I didn't have that chance seeing as how I welded all the bracket on the axle at my bro in laws house, away from the jeep, so we just measured & then guessed. The axle moves laterally a lot more than I expected.

"Evolution through carnage, the Jeep will keep what it needs."
Danno6102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 05:21 AM   #843
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Got out & wheeled Mission Impossible this past weekend. Good time! I was the least built in the group, but kept up with the big boys all day. I tried some climbs I never had the balls to do & made them. We were done at MI around 5:00 or so & headed over to the quarry at the Badlands, where I did some pretty impressive climbs there as well. No videos of those though. cameraman! The flat belly is flat out titties! I might have sraped it maybe twice all day long. She drove smooth at butter all the way there & back at 70 mph. Didn't break anything all day.

I ran the MTR's down at 10psi & didn't have a lick of trouble with popping beads or spinning on the rim. So that's my new psi. All the sidewalls held up fine, so no need to use the Discount Tire warranty this time.

I never really found myself wanting more wheelbase all day long. It's kind of a damned if you do & damned if you don't scenario I think. There were a few obstacles the longer rigs similar to mine, on 35's, struggled a little with, that I one shot, but there were some things they tried that I back down from. Analyzing the obstacles I tackled, there is a lot more I can ask of the Jeep the way it sits. The only thing I really found my self wanting quite a few times all day, was a good cage & seats with a 5 point harness. The windshield is a critical item, that is really in harms way, so it'd be nice to remove that when wheeling, which the cage would allow me to do.

I took some measurements last night & have been looking at some of the cages out there for ideas. I really like the BTF full cage design & will probably copy that with a few changes. I will use the stock B & C pillars.

1. Extend the tube through the dash to the floor. No stanchions.
2. Windshield V bars.
3. Tube gussets on the B pillar.
4. Instead of bending the spreader bars down as the A pillars to the floor, they will run straight to the windshield, then the A pillars will come up through the dash & weld into the spreader bar. Just like their Sport Cage does.
5. Some front grab handles to make it easier for my wife to get in.

Now, let's talk about seats. I'm looking for something good, but affordable. I would like a recliner type seat as I still need relatively easy access to the back seat for my kids. I have not decided against a fixed back & price alone might push me that way. Can anyone comment about rear seat accessiblity with a fixed back seat? I'm looking to stay under $300 per seat.

PRP Daily Driver - In my price range. The lower sides would be nice, but it's fixed back. $280

Corbeau Moabs - Right at my price limit. Cloth version is $80 less. Flipper. Not a lot of hip support. $300/$260

Corbeau Baja SS - very affordable, but is a fixed back seat. Good hip support. $200

Any others I should look at?

Unread 05-22-2013, 08:38 AM   #844
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Add another seat to the mix. Another fixed back. Corbeau Baja JP. $200

I also forgot to mention I've been tossing around the idea of revamping my front bumper/winch plate to get a little better approach angle. Right now the bumper sticks out about 2" from the end of the frame rails & then the D ring mount sticks out another 2 1/2" or so. Am thinking about wrapping the bumper tight to the end of the frame rail & then mounting the D ring lugs on top of the bumper just offset of the bumper mounting bolts.

Unread 05-22-2013, 08:39 AM   #845
JJeeper09
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have the btf.i am going to redo the front. I want it to be stronger, and straight through the dash. I will use my own tube so the 1.5 dash spreader will be eliminated. I want to start this soon because I know the sanchions are not that strong .
Unread 05-22-2013, 08:51 AM   #846
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJeeper09 View Post
I have the btf.i am going to redo the front. I want it to be stronger, and straight through the dash. I will use my own tube so the 1.5 dash spreader will be eliminated. I want to start this soon because I know the sanchions are not that strong .
Yea, I have access to a bender & my bro in law can run some sweet tig beads, so I'm saving some cash & just going to build it myself. I plan on 1 3/4" x .120 DOM everywhere except the grab handles & gussets. I just called a place here in Indy, Warner Steel, & got a price of $4.50 a foot for the 1 3/4". She double checked the price.

Unread 05-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #847
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I like Warner......go get that now before the price goes up.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 10:46 AM   #848
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Check out AngryTJ's build. He just recently did a writeup on his cage addition. Something similar to what your thinking of.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 10:48 AM   #849
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Not the most popular but it's another affordable option.

http://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/36.htm

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 12:05 PM   #850
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Genright has two used reclining seats on their closeout section. $200 for the pair.

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #851
SwiftJeep
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Hey my phone was dead from 2 hours of videos. I think it held up good for that long
SwiftJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 06:10 PM   #852
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftJeep
Hey my phone was dead from 2 hours of videos. I think it held up good for that long
I really should have gotten the gopro out. Next time for sure. I have some ideas for new angles.

Unread 05-22-2013, 07:03 PM   #853
boilerup1998

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Danno, I had the Genright sport cage added to my LJ stock cage and it's pretty stout. Tied I the frame, im pretty damn sure its not going anywhere if i flop. I think it looks pretty sweet too.

image-1998094381.jpg

image-3812573624.jpg

image-2998144207.jpg

I would agree that a long wheelbase isn't always better. I actually got pinned at the top of a steep climb (on red trail I think) because I could fit between a tree and a big root sticking out.
boilerup1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 12:42 PM   #854
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

New front bumper/winch plate is underway. Should have the initial bent profile sometime next week. They're going to burn me some 1" D ring mounts too. I'm tossing around a couple different ideas for the D ring mounts to keep them out of the way. It's good to know the right people.

Unread 05-31-2013, 02:29 PM   #855
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilerup1998 View Post
Danno, I had the Genright sport cage added to my LJ stock cage and it's pretty stout. Tied I the frame, im pretty damn sure its not going anywhere if i flop. I think it looks pretty sweet too.

I would agree that a long wheelbase isn't always better. I actually got pinned at the top of a steep climb (on red trail I think) because I could fit between a tree and a big root sticking out.
Need to see more of this LJ...

Jeep-Owners.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
dayriesw is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
caliper flip , ford 8.8 , indyorv , outboard , tube fenders

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.