Danno's DD TJ Build - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Danno's DD TJ Build

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 03-09-2012, 07:02 AM   #46
B2CARPEN
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Looks like you could use some corner armor.
This goes for me as well...

IndyORV
B2CARPEN is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2012, 07:23 AM   #47
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2CARPEN View Post
This goes for me as well...
If someone would stop leading me down ATV trails I wouldn't need corner armor!

I promise you there was no rub on those fenders when we pulled away. I honestly expected to hear some, but there was nothing. Turn the wheel however...

I've been looking for a super cheap set of used stock flares. I seriously think I felt the Jeep almost take flight on the way to work this morning.

"Evolution through carnage, the Jeep will keep what it needs."
Danno6102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2012, 07:28 AM   #48
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102 View Post
I've been looking for a super cheap set of used stock flares. I seriously think I felt the Jeep almost take flight on the way to work this morning.
Front or rear? I have both. Super cheap....especially if you want any of my other items for sale.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2012, 07:36 AM   #49
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Front or rear? I have both. Super cheap....especially if you want any of my other items for sale.
I need both F & R. PM me a price. I'm talking super cheap. The Rokmen HiLines are already spoken for.

Unread 03-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #50
B2CARPEN
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102 View Post
If someone would stop leading me down ATV trails I wouldn't need corner armor!
Hahaha Yeah sorry man, but you have to admit some of those super tight trails were really fun

IndyORV
Unread 03-12-2012, 05:07 AM   #51
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

We got the 8.8 in Saturday night & the TNT rear crossmember finally welded on. Friday night we fully assembled the axle, brakes, lines, carrier, etc. Here she is all perty.

Here are the pics of the oil return port or lack there off on the passenger side. You can see the upper supply port on both at the top of the carrier bearing race. The lower picture is the passenger side & you can see the lack of the return port at the bottom.
How it should look...

How it is...

Now if I had my **** together I would have a pic without the carrier in it, but this is the crap you get. You can sort of see the port we ground in with a nibbler bit.

First things first we got the old Dana 35 out, the feul tank out & the old crossmember ground off. My bro-in-law went to work welding up the receiver tube into the TNT crossmember & then onto the rig. Not much to report here. Pretty straight forward.

A few notes on the TNT crossmember. The one they show in all the pictures on the website is the 1" BL model. I never saw any mention of it anywhere, so I thought that's what I was getting, nope, I got this. I was a little annoyed at first, but am at peace with it now. Still think there should be some clarification on their part though. One of the gas tank mounting holes did not line up & I had to drill a new one. Other than that, it's a crossmember. I still need to final coat it with some satin black, all I had was flat so I shot it to keep the rust off.

We then threw the axle in & started mounting everything up. I didn't realize how much longer my lower control arms were going to be on the bottom with the brackets welded on at the correct pinion angle. I need to check thread engagement on the joints, we might need to make up some more a tad longer. Another strange occurance, my drive shaft is almost fully compressed. I measured both the 8.8 & the Dana 35 & from what I am measuring there should be minimal difference from centerline of axle to the rear u-joint on the driveshaft. I measure 11 1/2" on both.

I have about another 3/8" or so I could go back. This fully compressed both sides.

Jeep rides good, no vibes from the 8.8 that I can feel. No bearing growl or anything. Four wheel disc brakes is nice! The IRO bracket kit was nice. I did not get all the hardware & had extra of some, but whatever, I didn't use much of it anyway. I think I only used the sway bar mounting bolts because I had to. The actual brackets themselves were nice, holes lined up & angles were good. The shock brackets supplied were not the ones shown in the picture on the website, so I had to orded those seperate. All in all the project went good. I'm ready to beat on her at Dirty Turtle this saturday.

In other news, I am the proud owner of a GoPro. So we should have some sweet video from this coming weekends run.

Unread 03-13-2012, 08:38 AM   #52
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Posting in another thread about what I did on my 8.8 swap & part numbers I used made me realize it might be helpful to have in here, so here is a list of everything I bought to do this swap, where I got it, part number & the approxiamte price I paid with total. Keep in mind I got my 8.8 with 3.73 gears so I did not have to regear it & it also had LSD so I am not adding a locker right now. I also did not replace any of the carrier or pinion bearings because they felt good & I will replace those in a little while when I regear both front & rear.

Axle at Pull-a-part = $170
Wheel Bearings Napa BRG R1559TV = $50
Outer axle seals Napa NOS 16404 = $10
Brake Rotors Autozone 54032B = $60
Brake Pads Autozone DG667 = $40
Brake Shoes Autozone 701 = $25
Iron Rock Offroad Bracket Kit IR-TF88BK = $250
Iron Rock Offroad shock brackets IR-A_USM Style D = $25
Hardlines = $10
Brake t fitting Napa 380889 = $25
Brake hoses Napa 380528 (2) = $30
Primer & Paint = $30
Luca Oil Gear Oil 3qts = $30
Friction modifier Ford Dealer = $5

I still had the stock muffler so I need to get it out of the way fromt he new driveshaft offset, so add a Magnflow 10415 with a turndown & some clamps = $80

So grand total = ~$840

Unread 03-13-2012, 09:01 AM   #53
B2CARPEN
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Wow that 8.8 looks amazing Danno, excellent work bro! Man I remember how excited I was to swap in my JK D44, and rear disc brakes make a huge difference!

By the way, you are going to have such an easier and smoother time on the rock gardens when you regear. You will be able to keep it in gear and slowly crawl up and down rocks with even power instead of needing to give it gas to make it up and over a rock, then come slamming down on your rockers.

IndyORV
Unread 03-13-2012, 09:19 AM   #54
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2CARPEN View Post
Wow that 8.8 looks amazing Danno, excellent work bro! Man I remember how excited I was to swap in my JK D44, and rear disc brakes make a huge difference!

By the way, you are going to have such an easier and smoother time on the rock gardens when you regear. You will be able to keep it in gear and slowly crawl up and down rocks with even power instead of needing to give it gas to make it up and over a rock, then come slamming down on your rockers.

Thanks man!

Yea, I can't wait to regear it. Street driving isn't too bad with the 3.73, I just turn the OD off. Need to get some work done on my house though, before my wife decides I need to spend all my money on a divorce & child support. I'm sort of thinking I want to put an HP30 in before I regear it though.

Unread 03-14-2012, 04:37 AM   #55
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Cruised home last night with the sunrider open... on March 13th... in Indiana. Winter has been almost non-existant here this year. Loving it. Today should be even nicer!

My muffler has finally shipped. I should get it Friday as long as FedEx doesn't **** it up. It'll go on Friday night, just in time for Saturday's wheeling.

I think it might be time to rebuild some JJ. My rear uppers are pretty much frozen solid. When I was installing the 8.8 it was all I could do to align the ball with an adjustable wrench & a screw driver. Not sure what their problem is, I grease them every 3,000 with the oil change & they never really take any grease, none of them do. They've only been on the Jeep since September.

Any of my Indy brothers have the assembly tool?

Unread 03-14-2012, 05:52 AM   #56
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry I couldn't help with the crossmember bro. On a side note, I have the large JJ tool you can borrow.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f33/?uid=152304

Rear Currie 4" coils - 190 shipped. (They've been sitting in the back of my Jeep for mock up but won't work out for me.)

Hornblasters Shocker S4 horn set with some extras $210 shipped. (It is not OBA, just an accessory for OBA)

"LCOG" isn't cheap and it certainly isn't easy. If you think so, you are doing it wrong. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, don't label your build "LCOG". You are just a cheap ******bag.

IndyORV- Dick and fart jokes, titties, throttle, flops, beer, tater balls, and good times.
Bennettj13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2012, 06:26 AM   #57
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennettj13 View Post
Sorry I couldn't help with the crossmember bro. On a side note, I have the large JJ tool you can borrow.
No worries man! I know you're busy. We got her done. Hurry up & get that thing done so you can wheel!

Will it work with the 2" JJ?

Unread 03-14-2012, 06:32 AM   #58
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

It won't work with the 2" JJ's....but those are much easier to do. I've taken mine apart just for inspection and put them back together with a socket....very easy. They don't require nearly the preload as the big boys, hence the need for the tool.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2012, 10:52 AM   #59
B2CARPEN
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Just out of curiosity, how tight do those JJs need to be? I tightened all mine down fairly tight so you could only move the joint using a screw driver through the opening. I ask because I've been experiencing some joint noises (popping / banging) since the Badlands. I have greased them all again, but I'm contemplating dropping the arms and checking the joints.

Sorry for hi-jacking Danno.

IndyORV
Unread 03-14-2012, 11:05 AM   #60
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

All of my joints have always, been "tight", even when brand new before they went on the rig, but these uppers are rediculously tight & even feel & look like they're not getting grease. They give that dry rubber bind feel. I might have my father-in-law take one apart Friday night while i'm working on the muffler to see what's going on & to see if we can get all of them cleaned & "rebuilt" before Saturday's wheeling trip.

Tags
caliper flip , ford 8.8 , indyorv , outboard , tube fenders

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.