Danno's DD TJ Build - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Danno's DD TJ Build

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Alloy USA Still AvailableCurrie Currectlync Steering Upgrade Kits and Currie Anti-R

Unread 02-22-2012, 10:25 AM   #31
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Why thank you fine Sirs!

Randy, get your *** to work! You have 3 weeks until the Dirty Turtle run. Would be a good shake down the weekend before the TREC race.

Connor, not sure what day your planning to wheel with Brad, but hope you can make it the 4th.

"Evolution through carnage, the Jeep will keep what it needs."
Danno6102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2012, 05:59 AM   #32
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Got started on the 8.8 friday night. Got it all stripped down, axles, carrier, brakes off, & cut all the brackets off, going to replace outer wheel bearings this week, then it's going to my bro-in-laws to get the brackets welded up this coming weekend.

I don't have much experience with grinding & cutoff wheels as I'm mainly a woodworker. I used Norton discs from Home Depot when I did the rear outboard & this time I used CGS (Camel Grinding Wheels) from Wholesale Tool. These things are awesome! At least compared to the Norton crap! I toasted a Norton wheel cutting ONE Ford tower. I used ONE CGS cut off wheel to remove ALL the brackets on the 8.8 & the grinding wheel looks barely used after cleaning up the welds from the brackets.

I also messed with the tub spare tire & rack design yesterday. Keeping it pretty simple. The rack will sit on top of the tire & I will used two ratchet straps to hold the rack down on top of the tire, which will also hold the tire down. The strap will attach to the rear seat brackets. I will post up pictures on Saturday when I get it all mounted for the wheeling trip to Attica on Sunday.

Unread 02-27-2012, 06:07 AM   #33
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm wheeling the 3rd. I can probably camp out and wheel the 4th, too. Might as well.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 11:15 PM   #34
castorriver
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My brother-in-law is an undertaker... with no welding skills. Keep up the good work.
Registered Nurse Jeep Club Member #1 (I think...)

Verse 36: And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one.
castorriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2012, 04:44 AM   #35
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by castorriver View Post
My brother-in-law is an undertaker... with no welding skills. Keep up the good work.
My bro-in-law is going to school right now to be an undertaker!

Thanks!

Unread 03-01-2012, 07:33 AM   #36
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

8.8 is a go for welding tomorrow night. We got all the brackets marked out & traced with a sharpie, so it's a simple matter of plopping them on checking angle & tacking them. I have to grab a couple nuts to weld to the tube for mounting the brake lines. New shock brackets from IRO should be here today. The ones they sent with the kit were the ones where the shock stud mounts perpendicular to the axle tube & I wouldn't be able to mount them high enough on the tube where I need to for my shock travel.

I need to do some small grinding work inside the housing before we put it all back together. Turns out the 8.8 axle uses gear lube to lubricate the outer wheel bearings. There is a small relief above & behind the carrier bearings that allows slung oil to drip down into the axle tube, that lube in turn flows out to the outer wheel bearings. Some 8.8's left the factory missing the return relief ont he bottom behind the carrier bearing on the passenger side, that allows the oil to return to the housing. Mine is one of those missing that return port. So we will need to grind a small notch to allow that oil to return. I'll post pics of what I'm talking about once it's done.

I think the only things I need to pick up for the rear end is hard brake lines & outer wheel bearings. ******* autozone sold me repair bearings, so I'll be getting the proper replacement bearings from Napa tomorrow. Oh, I also need to see if I can find some ZJ brake cables at pull a part. If not, I'll order some up from Rock Auto.

Rough spare tire storage rack is ready for Sunday's trip to Attica. I'll get pics of that when I prep the Jeep on Saturday.

Unread 03-05-2012, 04:40 AM   #37
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Had a great day of wheeling yesterday with Brad (B2CARPEN). Half the park was closed for an MX race & even though the quarry was not closed every path to the quarry was closed, but it was still a good day of trail running. I feel it was my best session yet. I feel like I picked good lines most of the day & when I didn't, I didn't force it, back down & lined it up again. Jeep worked well all day long, was only a couple things I didn't make it over & one I pussed out on because of the Dana 35. I have to give Brad props on some great spotting! I'm not much on pic taking. Brad has some great videos of me in the rocks, I'll link up once he posts them in his thread. Here are a few poser shots I did get. Front bumps are set perfect, no rub what-so-ever, except when I turn when it's fully flexed out & it rubs the outer lip of the flare. Rears have about an inch to go until the Currie bump & a little under an inch & a half on the shocks, I think the rear sway bar is binding it up before it bumps.

I did manage to get one pic of Brad.

Unread 03-07-2012, 04:38 AM   #38
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Took a couple pics of the rear spare rack. It worked great. Held the tire down, nothing moved all day. Need to do some rework though. I have the tool box, which sits between the D-rings, mounted facing the rear. Sort of a pain in the *** to get any tools out because you need to open the rear window & the door. I am going to cut out the wood in front & spin it around. Also, I used straps to hold the tool box down attached to the D-rings, the straps were a pain in the *** because you have to undo them every time you want to get in the tool box. So I'm going to figure out a different mounting solution for the box.

I just used the factory rear seat brackets to hold it all down.

Ford 8.8 progress pics. Got allt he brackets on, tubes welded, & primed it up last night.

I also got the return oil port ground into the housing but my dumb *** forgot to get a pic of it before I put the cover back on to paint it, so those pics will come tomorrow probably. Still on track to get it in this saturday along with another long awaited upgrade that's been sitting in my shop for 4 months.

Unread 03-07-2012, 04:46 AM   #39
TJRHD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Dang, you have it stuffed in the front. Looks like you have a bit of a fender kiss like me. LOL
Nice pics dude.
Unread 03-07-2012, 06:04 AM   #40
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like you could use some corner armor.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2012, 06:06 AM   #41
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJRHD
Dang, you have it stuffed in the front. Looks like you have a bit of a fender kiss like me. LOL
Nice pics dude.
Actually my front bumps are set perfect. There is no contact in that pic & the only contact I do get is if I turn the wheel, then the tires rub the outer lip of those God awfully wide flares. Ugh, those things need to go...

Unread 03-07-2012, 06:22 AM   #42
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Looks like you could use some corner armor.
A couple other things I need to get replaced first. Front upper control arms & front shocks are at the top, then probably getting the flat skid in & then anti-rock, then... they're a ways down the list.

Unread 03-07-2012, 10:20 AM   #43
TJRHD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102 View Post
Actually my front bumps are set perfect. There is no contact in that pic & the only contact I do get is if I turn the wheel, then the tires rub the outer lip of those God awfully wide flares. Ugh, those things need to go...
The jeep looks like it did a fine job.

Unread 03-07-2012, 05:49 PM   #44
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Here are the videos of me that Brad shot on Sunday!

Unread 03-09-2012, 07:01 AM   #45
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Danno! I had a great time wheeling with you last Sunday! Your jeep performed excellent and you had some great driving skills wheeling through some of those trails. Btw, there's NO WAY that tire ain't rubbing the inside of that fender in that pic above lol but I do say, you did a fine job setting up those Currie bump stops. We will have to get out there and wheel together again sometime in the next month or so, after you have that stout 8.8 w/ LSD swapped in

And nice job with stripping down and priming that 8.8. Brings back such warm and fuzzy memories of me doing the exact same thing with my rear JK D44 Keep up the great work man...

side note... would ya please rip off those 10" wide fender flares!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.