Marked the frame & notched it friday night. I didn't go exactly 90° to my lower control arms because I was planning ahead for when I 4 link. The shocks are tilted back about 17° from vertical. 90° to my current control arms would have been closer to 23°.
Seeing as how Poly sucks getting things shipped lately, I had to make my own lower tabs. They will get a phone call today espescially seeing as how I paid for expedited shipping to have them by Friday. Not bad for a grinder & a cuttoff wheel.
My brother in law came over saturday night & welded everything up for me. It's all tig'd. It's funny watching a fat man try to contort himself around axles, gas tanks, frame rails & jack stands to make all the welds.
I made one big boo boo. Just a big brain fart actually. Once I made the flare cut on the front of the frame rail I took that point straight back rather than taper it back to 4" on the inside of the frame rail. So once I hammered the tower sides out, there was a hug gap in the back. I just cut some small pieces to lay over the hole & he welded them up.
All done & mounted. I left the boots on, we'll see how long they last.
Here is a pic of the sweet low clearance welding helmet. Made of cardboard & duct tape. It's smaller & the cardboard is more flexible to weasel your head into things like race car chassis etc.
All in all the only thing I had trouble with was figuring out what to do with my travel. I currently have 7.5" up until my rear track bar hits the tank/crossmember & 3" of droop. After talking with Connor, we decided that even though I only get 3" of droop now & my current 4" RC coils would unseat at around 4" of droop, when I upgrade to Currie Progressives I should get another couple inches before they unseat. So I set it up for 6" up & 6" down. I will also need to get on some bump stop work quickly. Next wheeling trip is the 18th in Attica. I also need to get some new lower control arms by then also. Drivers side bushing is toast. Might be hard to see int he pic but that bolt is WAY off center. It's causing the axle to be about 1/8" out of square & giving me my pull to the right.
To layout, cut the frame & make the lower shock tabs took me about 6 hours on friday. 2 of those hours was layout, mainly because measurements weren't jiving on both sides of the jeep, so it took me a while scratching my head to come to the conclusion the frame was screwing with the angle finder on my cell phone.
Saturday was weld day & it took a loooooong *** time for him to weld everything up. Mig probably would have went a hell of a lot faster. We started welding about 6pm & I was final mounting shocks at midnight.
One final note. Make sure your shock bolts fit into the ford towers BEFORE you weld them on the frame. Caught one in time, but had to dremel the one side a little to get the bolt in because the drill couldn't get to it.
Good job man. Now lose the boots and stock shock mounts you goof.
LOL! Will probably loss the boots. They don't stay on anyway at full droop. Stupid boots.
However, as big a goof as I am, the stock mounts will stay. The 35 will be replaced with the 8.8 hopefully before too long. I figure it'd be easier to unload on Craigslist with the stock mounts still there. Unless they get ripped to shreads before it comes out, then I'll chop em.
Damn it! Just noticed I should have turned my track bar bolt around. Well, looks like that one will get cut out when the time comes.
All the Link material is here. JJ's, tube adapters, nuts. Will get them made up this weekend. Funny thing is, because I am sticking with close to stock arm length for the immediate time being, I only need an 8" piece of DOM between the joints. I also need to make some new rear uppers. I pretty sure my Savvy arms are way past the min thread engagement of those JJ. Pic of the beefy joint & good beer. 12oz. bottle makes them look small.
Currie rear bump stops are here will try to get those on this weekend as well.
Got the new lower control arms all mounted up last night. Man were my RC arms SHOT! The sleeve in the bushings on the frame end would just fall right through the bushing. Needless to say the ride is much tighter. Only arms I have left to replace are the stock front uppers. I'll work out a plan for those before too long. Anyway, on to the eye candy.
We cut them to length 8 1/4" & squared the end in the lathe.
My bro-in-law laid down some sweet ****ing beads!
Total length of the arm. He's just a little guy.
All dressed up & waiting on grade 8 hardware!
Rear axle is now perfectly square. No thrust angle that I can measure. Jeep still pulls ever so slightly to the right, which is good because if I fall asleep at the wheel I go into the ditch instead of head on traffic.
Currie poly bump goodness!
IRO 8.8 brackets will be here tomorrow. We'll get that moved into the garage & start surgery on it this weekend. Picking up bearings & new brake crap Friday. Goal is to have it in the Jeep by the 12th so I can debug it during that week before we hit up Dirty Turtle on the club run on the 17th.