Danno's DD TJ Build - Page 72 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1066 of 1319 Old 12-10-2013, 11:28 AM
green50gt
Senior Member
 
green50gt's Avatar
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Goshen, IN
Posts: 712
Just spying on that skid - man that thing is flat! Really nice job you did!



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
green50gt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1067 of 1319 Old 01-02-2014, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Danno6102
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,572
Just pulled the trigger on some Mastercraft seats & some Crow belts. Putting the 2014 mod list into action!

Here's a rough list of the big mods I'd like to accomplish this year.

Seats & Belts
Cage
Fuel Cell
3 link front
4 link & stretch

From there I'll start putting together the axles sitting in the shop, but those will probably be on the 2015 mod list for install. I'm also toying with the idea of lowering the rig down a little. I have a 3/4" spacer in the front, thought about taking that out & then adjusting the rear height with the coil bucket relocation. Even thought about lowering even more & going to 3" springs in the front. That'd also require high lining the front with some custom hybrid aluminum/steel tube fenders.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"Evolution through carnage, the Jeep will keep what it needs."
Danno6102 is offline  
post #1068 of 1319 Old 01-02-2014, 09:41 AM
kellerumps
Registered User
 
kellerumps's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Paris, IL
Posts: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102 View Post
Just pulled the trigger on some Mastercraft seats & some Crow belts. Putting the 2014 mod list into action!

Here's a rough list of the big mods I'd like to accomplish this year.

Seats & Belts
Cage
Fuel Cell
3 link front
4 link & stretch

From there I'll start putting together the axles sitting in the shop, but those will probably be on the 2015 mod list for install. I'm also toying with the idea of lowering the rig down a little. I have a 3/4" spacer in the front, thought about taking that out & then adjusting the rear height with the coil bucket relocation. Even thought about lowering even more & going to 3" springs in the front. That'd also require high lining the front with some custom hybrid aluminum/steel tube fenders.
My front 3 link has turned into a headache.....

I don't look for problems....They find me.

Member of:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kellerumps is offline  
 
post #1069 of 1319 Old 01-02-2014, 10:03 AM
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden
Posts: 5,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102 View Post
That'd also require high lining the front with some custom hybrid aluminum/steel tube fenders.
I am curious as to what you will come up with for fenders . I have been looking at the DeFenders , but its tough to spend that much money on two fenders .

Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline  
post #1070 of 1319 Old 01-02-2014, 10:07 AM
dayriesw
Web Wheeler
 
dayriesw's Avatar
1987 MJ Comanche 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 6,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102 View Post
Just pulled the trigger on some Mastercraft seats & some Crow belts. Putting the 2014 mod list into action!

Here's a rough list of the big mods I'd like to accomplish this year.

Seats & Belts
Cage
Fuel Cell
3 link front
4 link & stretch

From there I'll start putting together the axles sitting in the shop, but those will probably be on the 2015 mod list for install. I'm also toying with the idea of lowering the rig down a little. I have a 3/4" spacer in the front, thought about taking that out & then adjusting the rear height with the coil bucket relocation. Even thought about lowering even more & going to 3" springs in the front. That'd also require high lining the front with some custom hybrid aluminum/steel tube fenders.
Lowering the rig is what all the kids are doing these days.

16 Taco
87 MJ Chief in pieces
Bought/Wheeled/Sold: 85 CJ, 79 FSJ, 05 LJ, 06 WK
dayriesw is offline  
post #1071 of 1319 Old 01-02-2014, 10:25 AM
green50gt
Senior Member
 
green50gt's Avatar
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Goshen, IN
Posts: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
I am curious as to what you will come up with for fenders . I have been looking at the DeFenders , but its tough to spend that much money on two fenders .
Amen to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
Lowering the rig is what all the kids are doing these days.
Well...only the REALLY cool ones that is.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
green50gt is offline  
post #1072 of 1319 Old 01-02-2014, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Danno6102
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
I am curious as to what you will come up with for fenders . I have been looking at the DeFenders , but its tough to spend that much money on two fenders .
Nothing to extravagant. 1 1/2" DOM with aluminum skins fastened to tabs. Including inners. Biggest thing is I'm going to try to develop a full bracket kit to remount all the crap under the hood. So no more zip tying thing to grill supports etc. But as fast as I've been moving all these other items, it'll be a while!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
Lowering the rig is what all the kids are doing these days.
I'm not a die hard LCG guy, but with no back seat or spare, I've noticed it's sitting pretty high. I need to get a new belly measurement, but that'll have to wait until all this snow melts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"Evolution through carnage, the Jeep will keep what it needs."
Danno6102 is offline  
post #1073 of 1319 Old 01-02-2014, 10:36 AM
AngryTJ
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellerumps
My front 3 link has turned into a headache.....
How come?

Follow me on Instagram @ Tarantula_TJ


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AngryTJ is offline  
post #1074 of 1319 Old 01-02-2014, 09:22 PM
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden
Posts: 5,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102 View Post
Nothing to extravagant. 1 1/2" DOM with aluminum skins fastened to tabs. Including inners. Biggest thing is I'm going to try to develop a full bracket kit to remount all the crap under the hood. So no more zip tying thing to grill supports etc. But as fast as I've been moving all these other items, it'll be a while!
No box aluminum tubing for the edge ? I do like the brackets idea , should make for a cleaner install . A set of box tube struts like Impact Orange LJ has also helps clean things up under the hood .

Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline  
post #1075 of 1319 Old 01-03-2014, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Danno6102
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
No box aluminum tubing for the edge ? I do like the brackets idea , should make for a cleaner install . A set of box tube struts like Impact Orange LJ has also helps clean things up under the hood .
Going with steel where it's needed most. Along the outside where it gets beat on trees & drug against rocks etc. Bending AL tube is a ***** & in that application 6061-T6 would be a must. The current plan is 1 1/2"x.120 wall DOM with 6061-T6 outer panels & 5052 inner fenders.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"Evolution through carnage, the Jeep will keep what it needs."
Danno6102 is offline  
post #1076 of 1319 Old 01-03-2014, 08:10 AM
gspup
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Demfer
Posts: 2,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102 View Post
Going with steel where it's needed most. Along the outside where it gets beat on trees & drug against rocks etc. Bending AL tube is a ***** & in that application 6061-T6 would be a must. The current plan is 1 1/2"x.120 wall DOM with 6061-T6 outer panels & 5052 inner fenders.
Honestly I don't see why not just going with all steel except for the inners especially if you are already using DOM anyways ? The steel skins really wouldn't weigh much, I was able to install my steel genrights with 'ease' by myself and they are way lighter than stock fenders. Just food for thought as I was very close to buying alum.

I think on 40 inch tires alum fenders are fine but as all of us on 35's know, we are a lot closer to the rocks.

TJ build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ljs-devil-1329976/
gspup is offline  
post #1077 of 1319 Old 01-03-2014, 08:35 AM
kellerumps
Registered User
 
kellerumps's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Paris, IL
Posts: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
How come?
Welp.....its more than just a 3-link. Re-Doing my CO's. Found out on Jan 1 that I have to cut and redo my exhaust (Again). Was hoping I could get rid of the CAT's on the Manifold and 1 of the O2 Sensors(does not appear that you can).

Frameside Upper Link bracket is going to be a PITA to weld.

Truth be told...I'm prolly just being a whiny little baby.

I don't look for problems....They find me.

Member of:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kellerumps is offline  
post #1078 of 1319 Old 01-03-2014, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Danno6102
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspup View Post
Honestly I don't see why not just going with all steel except for the inners especially if you are already using DOM anyways ? The steel skins really wouldn't weigh much, I was able to install my steel genrights with 'ease' by myself and they are way lighter than stock fenders. Just food for thought as I was very close to buying alum.

I think on 40 inch tires alum fenders are fine but as all of us on 35's know, we are a lot closer to the rocks.
Yea, I know it won't eliminate a ton of weight, but one benefit is replaceable panels if they get tore up, or replaceable tubes for that matter. Which you could have a steel skin package as well. I even thought about making all the skins out of 5052-H32 to keep the material more uniform. I don't think 6061 is that critical for the panels. The bending of the inners eliminates 6061 as an easy choice for them.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"Evolution through carnage, the Jeep will keep what it needs."
Danno6102 is offline  
post #1079 of 1319 Old 01-03-2014, 09:41 AM
Moabrubi
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 1,577
Any plans for corners/tub rails in the future? I like where your work is going.
Moabrubi is offline  
post #1080 of 1319 Old 01-03-2014, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Danno6102
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post
Any plans for corners/tub rails in the future? I like where your work is going.
Yep those are on the list for this year as well . I'm looking to skin the whole rear end of the jeep in aluminum. corners, tailgate skin, etc.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"Evolution through carnage, the Jeep will keep what it needs."
Danno6102 is offline  
Reply

Tags
caliper flip , ford 8.8 , indyorv , outboard , tube fenders

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Jeep Build: Minty White Country XJ Build GTEIS300 Jeep Builds 34 01-20-2013 10:42 AM
2000 TJ Build - LCG First Time Build japete01 Jeep Builds 82 06-07-2012 09:50 PM
JeepWJ26 Build--Johnny Cash Build JeepWJ26 Jeep Builds 31 01-09-2012 11:15 AM
WeatherWarrior's "you better not call it a build" build thread. WeatherWarrior Jeep Builds 10 12-12-2011 05:31 PM
JeepDVL45's 'Bruiser' Build -- A Daily Driver's slow build JeepDVL45 Jeep Builds 41 08-11-2011 09:44 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome