Dana 44 swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Dana 44 swap

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 08-14-2014, 05:43 PM   #1
redcjhornet84
1984 CJ8 

Dana 44 swap

Hey all I am purchasing a dana 44 out of a 1968 jeepster commando that will be a direct bolt-in for my 1984 CJ8 Scrambler. The d44 will need new gears/overhaul so I am trying to decide what gears to run!

I currently have a 2.73 gear ratio that is KILLING me with my 33's! but may move to 35" when I need new tires.
So my real question is if 4.88 gears is too much for 33s with a 4spd tranny? or would I be better going with 4.56? even when I get 35s.

My jeep is a daily driver, and the frequent weekend warrior so the extra torque would be nice for the trail, but i really need to maintain highway drivability.

Any help at all is much appreciated!!!

redcjhornet84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2014, 07:36 PM   #2
84jeepcj7rock

I would look into that D44. The D44 in my CJ5'69 had 2 piece axles and they are not wide tracs. I also think that they were 19spline which is not very good w small drum brakes.
As for gearing, it really depends on the motor and transmission and how many RPMs you want to run at. For hwy drivingYour RPMs will be through the roof unless you have an overdrive transmission and the motor to push it.
84jeepcj7rock is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.